New builder, Hana Lima Ia question here

ericchico

Reaction score
First off im new to building Ukes, hope the word Uke does not offend I use it alot. I started early this year after getting the manual from Hana Lima Ia. Some build pics are in my profile. I did my first one as cheap as I could so I did not take a chance on screwing up good wood. Now getting done with my 2nd build for a good friend Im wondering about the Spanish Style neck. I want to switch to a dovetail connection and do some binding in the future.
Basically I need to aquire a jig for routing but is there any other tips or things to look out for when switching the way I set up and build? Thanks!

How about a different neck joint? I can see moving away from the spanish heel....but dovetail is probably more difficult. IMHO
If you're going to make dozens of the same model, you can get a jig set up just right. For one or two, I'd go with bolt on, dowel pin or a straight tennon

How about a different neck joint? I can see moving away from the spanish heel....but dovetail is probably more difficult. IMHO
If you're going to make dozens of the same model, you can get a jig set up just right. For one or two, I'd go with bolt on, dowel pin or a straight tennon
Good point. I plan on making more than a couple so I will be getting a jig set up. It seems after a jig is set up and dialed in the joint will be more consistant and easier than the spanish heel. Am I right on this? Also HLI has you cut the soundhole after its boxed up. I really hated this part the most. Especialy with a hole saw. I did it on the first and on the 2nd I used a 2 1/2 forstener bit. Both times I crept into so slowly and made it but I really would rather cut out the soundhole while Im cutting the rosette. Is there a reason for cutting the hole like that. Any other quick tips are appreciated I will keep scanning previous post and learning what I can. Thanks

Cutting the soundhole after its boxed up is a strange practice.

PS- bolt on baby!

Good point. I plan on making more than a couple so I will be getting a jig set up. It seems after a jig is set up and dialed in the joint will be more consistant and easier than the spanish heel. Am I right on this? Also HLI has you cut the soundhole after its boxed up. I really hated this part the most. Especialy with a hole saw. I did it on the first and on the 2nd I used a 2 1/2 forstener bit. Both times I crept into so slowly and made it but I really would rather cut out the soundhole while Im cutting the rosette. Is there a reason for cutting the hole like that. Any other quick tips are appreciated I will keep scanning previous post and learning what I can. Thanks

you must have a different manual...

you cut the sound hole before you box up the uke...I took Mike's class...I never heard of anyone doing the sound hole after?
maybe a side sound port but the sound hole...wow

you must have a different manual...

you cut the sound hole before you box up the uke...I took Mike's class...I never heard of anyone doing the sound hole after?
maybe a side sound port but the sound hole...wow
Good to know. Maybe they sent me an older version its from 2004. I would take a pic but that probably would not be ok with the author, but I will say its written with a pic of the boxed Uke under a drill press and it says they use a Lennox hole saw. Session 7 step five page 86. That's too funny and it is the last time I will do it:eek:. That was so nerve racking I drilled it like I was running my Lathe for the first time.

Good to know. Maybe they sent me an older version its from 2004. I would take a pic but that probably would not be ok with the author, but I will say its written with a pic of the boxed Uke under a drill press and it says they use a Lennox hole saw. Session 7 step five page 86. That's too funny and it is the last time I will do it:eek:. That was so nerve racking I drilled it like I was running my Lathe for the first time.

now that I look at the pictures(same book) I remember we did do the sound hole like that...but we did the Rosette before boxing the uke...

I have seen almost everyone else do the sound hole first....if you have the same equip that Mike uses it was easy....

sorry I already forgot how we built the uke...that is one reason it was my first and last build...haha

I leave it up to the Pros now

good luck with the building!

now that I look at the pictures(same book) I remember we did do the sound hole like that...but we did the Rosette before boxing the uke...

I have seen almost everyone else do the sound hole first....if you have the same equip that Mike uses it was easy....

sorry I already forgot how we built the uke...that is one reason it was my first and last build...haha

I leave it up to the Pros now

good luck with the building!
Ok after 3 Pale Ales I came in and opened this up, had a good laugh thanks. I thought I got some old book that was outdated. Anyways I'm going to do the soundhole when I cut the rosette from now on. Thanks and what a place to take a class must have been a great experience.

Ok after 3 Pale Ales I came in and opened this up, had a good laugh thanks. I thought I got some old book that was outdated. Anyways I'm going to do the soundhole when I cut the rosette from now on. Thanks and what a place to take a class must have been a great experience.

I love Sierra Nevada....I used to live in San Mateo and although not a big drinker my friends loved it..
may years ago I did the Davis Double it was almost 100 degrees but I finished....

good luck with the builds...
email Mike Chock at Hanalima if you have questions...very helpful and he a founding member of the Hawaii Ukulele Guild...
check their website good stuff on it

www.ukuleleguild.org

Top Bottom