PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done this?

Nickie
07-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Well, this was a new one on me....I went to play for a family of a patient who passed away with me...we got on a large boat, called a 'funeral boat'. I did two songs after the ashes went into the water....while the boat pitched and rocked...I did fine...during one song I teared up and had to stop....it was a young patient...difficult to play on the water in a tossing ship....don't think I wanna make a habit of it....two people got sick, one tossed her cookies overboard (not from my singing and playing LOL)

brUKEman
07-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Sorry for the loss of your patient. Can I ask which songs you played during the service.

bobinde
07-02-2014, 09:55 AM
Was asked to sing and play "Island Style" at the end of my stepdaughter's wedding on the beach at Ko Olina last September, I don't think I finished 3 bars before I choked up. And recently, playing and singing for a group of Alzheimer's patients, I couldn't finish "Over the Rainbow," either. I sing and play my guitar and Ukes for them about once a month and it's a real joy, tinged by sadness for their condition . . .

bobinde

Nickie
07-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Sorry for the loss of your patient. Can I ask which songs you played during the service.

Over the Rainbow and Don't Worry Be Happy....two of her faves...

Nickie
07-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Was asked to sing and play "Island Style" at the end of my stepdaughter's wedding on the beach at Ko Olina last September, I don't think I finished 3 bars before I choked up. And recently, playing and singing for a group of Alzheimer's patients, I couldn't finish "Over the Rainbow," either. I sing and play my guitar and Ukes for them about once a month and it's a real joy, tinged by sadness for their condition . . .

bobinde

Thank you for doing that for them....CA and Alzheimer's are about the saddest.....especially CA in a young person....

Ukejenny
07-02-2014, 03:38 PM
That is so kind and touching. Music really is a therapy.

Ukuleleblues
07-04-2014, 03:31 PM
I bet that was difficult and rewarding on many different levels. God Bless You!

Nickie
07-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Thanks! There has never been, in my whole entire life, nothing more rewarding than serving the sick and dying and thier families, and playing and singing to make them feel better! I sleep really good these days, even though hospice is changing so much I want to retire ASAP....and get my ceritification as a clinical therapuetic musician....

Icelander53
07-04-2014, 04:38 PM
.two people got sick, one tossed her cookies overboard

That's called chumming. Too bad you didn't bring your fishing pole.