Anyone compared Living Water vs. South Coast Ukes Soprano Re-Entrant Strings?

Ukejungle

Reaction score
Thoughts? Going on a Older Martin Soprano. Using Martin strings today but want to try other strings on it.

Thoughts? Going on a Older Martin Soprano. Using Martin strings today but want to try other strings on it.

i use living water re-entrant G strings on my baritone and its my string of choice now. I just ordered at set of south coast. I can't say anything yet because i don't have them, but im getting them for my tenor. Living water is high quality carbon strings, they last a long time and don't wear down fast like a noticed with worth clears, they sound very clear, and give you many options for different tunings as well as custom strings and i love them. However south coast gives you the most options of out all the strings, even more options for various tunings, different tones, thicknesses, etc etc. I'm sure someone can chime in who has used either on a soprano (i use worth clears currently on my soprano i don't play it enough to put living waters on it i'd rather save them for my tenor or baritone).

It is good idea to send an email/PM to Dirk @ SouthCoast strings, he is expert and will give you good suggestions of where to start to choosing your strings.

Here is my little experience:

Living Water is the second brand I have tried after Worths, my first uke came with Aquila. After tried Worths & Living Water, then all 4 types of D'Addario choices, then Savarez, and finally I found SouthCoast strings, I fell in love with SouthCoast strings.

Every ukulele itself response to strings differently, you have to find the better match by keep trying other brands.

Living Water string on my first uke (its all Acacia wood, typically Kala's "X" bracing) has a not too bright, sweet, ok quality sustain, ok projection sound. For my custom uke (its all Myrtle wood), it sound less sweet, ok sustain, still sound good if I play it softly.

I also put Living Water strings on my friend's all Mahogany concert uke (the uke I bought & borrowed to him forever), it sounds soft and warm, and just right tension (less finger hurt than Aquila for him, he loves it). Its the right string for this uke.

SouthCoast strings, depend on which set you have choose, soft sets have more mellow sound. I ordered soft sets for my friend's spruce top concert uke (the uke I gift to her). I myself love Medium to Heavy Medium sets, especially linear sets. Both my two tenor ukes response to these strings very well, singing sustain, balanced, good projection. I have no problem with wound strings.

The good thing about SouthCoast strings, they provided many choices for many desires from different ukes, and the concept of using different materials on each string in a set. Not like most others, use the same formular over 4 strings.

My experience may not well apply to your ukulele, because every ukulele has its own preference, you have your preference.

Have fun on trying strings, have fun playing ukulele.;)

Last edited:
It is good idea to send an email/PM to Dirk @ SouthCoast strings, he is expert and will give you good suggestions of where to start to choosing your strings.

Here is my little experience:

Living Water is the second brand I have tried after Worths, my first uke came with Aquila. After tried Worths & Living Water, then all 4 types of D'Addario choices, then Savarez, and finally I found SouthCoast strings, I fell in love with SouthCoast strings.

Every ukulele itself response to strings differently, you have to find the better match by keep trying other brands.

Living Water string on my first uke (its all Acacia wood, typically Kala's "X" bracing) has a not too bright, sweet, ok quality sustain, ok projection sound. For my custom uke (its all Myrtle wood), it sound less sweet, ok sustain, still sound good if I play it softly.

I also put Living Water strings on my friend's all Mahogany concert uke (the uke I bought & borrowed to him forever), it sounds soft and warm, and just right tension (less finger hurt than Aquila for him, he loves it). Its the right string for this uke.

SouthCoast strings, depend on which set you have choose, soft sets have more mellow sound. I ordered soft sets for my friend's spruce top concert uke (the uke I gift to her). I myself love Medium to Heavy Medium sets, especially linear sets. Both my two tenor ukes response to these strings very well, singing sustain, balanced, good projection. I have no problem with wound strings.

The good thing about SouthCoast strings, they provided many choices for many desires from different ukes, and the concept of using different materials on each string in a set. Not like most others, use the same formular over 4 strings.

My experience may not well apply to your ukulele, because every ukulele has its own preference, you have your preference.

Have fun on trying strings, have fun playing ukulele.;)

i just ordered south coast so i can not give much advice on the brand but it seems he gives the most options
available over any other string brand, which in it's self is really great.

Yep. Although Worths does provide some options. The SouthCoast's dinner menu looks more delicious. :p

agreed living water provides many options too in their basic sets and his custom sets as well
i really dig them on my baritone. I have not tried worth browns i have clears on my soprano
and they tune up to d6 nicely.

Top Bottom