Voicing between C6 and D6 tunings vintage music?

Ukejungle

Reaction score
I got a few song books from the 20's with buying a Vintage Martin and most of the songs are in D6 tuning. Playing these on my C6 tuned Soprano. I know the chords and I just pay along. But D6 tuning has more tension so wondering how much tone I am missing playing in C6.

I got a few song books from the 20's with buying a Vintage Martin and most of the songs are in D6 tuning. Playing these on my C6 tuned Soprano. I know the chords and I just pay along. But D6 tuning has more tension so wondering how much tone I am missing playing in C6.

I prefer D6 for soprano ukes it brightens up the uke and really gives it that classic 'old time' sound.
You aren't missing its that C6 is better for modern sounds (especially indie rock like beirut or magnetic fields kind of stuff etc)
and D6 is great for all those 1920's songs. I usually keep my soprano in D6 though its in my opinion the perfect tuning for soprano
i believe its 'true' voice comes out in D6.

Just give them knobs a couple of twists and find out, some folks love it, some hate it. Give it a week and let us know what you think. Got to give it a week though so you aren't freaked by it just sounding different.

There were three tunings popular in vintage music I've found in my collection of songsheets - generally a higher tone was used because it has better projection and volume on stage or in a large room.

You always have two choices when playing this music regardless of tuning: to play the chord shapes as shown by the diagram, or to play the chord as shown by the key. I tend to play the shape and I generally ignore the tuning, too. I find it only matters when trying to figure something out from an old recording.

You aren't missing anything aside from a higher note with D6. Personally, I prefer lower tuning because of my vocal range and for all my low-G ukes.

There were three tunings popular in vintage music I've found in my collection of songsheets - generally a higher tone was used because it has better projection and volume on stage or in a large room.

You always have two choices when playing this music regardless of tuning: to play the chord shapes as shown by the diagram, or to play the chord as shown by the key. I tend to play the shape and I generally ignore the tuning, too. I find it only matters when trying to figure something out from an old recording.

You aren't missing anything aside from a higher note with D6. Personally, I prefer lower tuning because of my vocal range and for all my low-G ukes.
Ian, what are the 3 tunings C,D and ??? I am curious. ? Bb?

Top Bottom