PDA

View Full Version : Guitar tabs for Baritone Uke

LeeLL
07-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Assuming DGBE(normal turning), guitar chords are the same, but have a different name. Can guitar tabs/sheet music always be used by leaving out the two missing strings?
Any catches to using this approach?

Camsuke
07-03-2014, 01:09 PM
There are plenty of Baritone tabs here;
http://pdfminstrel.wordpress.com/renaissance-bari-pdfs-2/

LeeLL
07-03-2014, 01:32 PM
I have some spanish/gypsy guitar music from years ago and wondering how easy or hard it is to use this sheet music for baritone.

Camsuke
07-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Some songs will convert quite well from guitar to baritone, it's just a matter of seeing how the individual pieces go.

kypfer
07-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Assuming DGBE(normal turning), guitar chords are the same, but have a different name. Can guitar tabs/sheet music always be used by leaving out the two missing strings?
Any catches to using this approach?
Assuming DGBE tuning, guitar chords have the SAME name, DGBE is the tuning for the top four strings on a guitar. So, yes, any music written for the guitar can be used if the melody doesn't get any lower than the "D" on the fourth (open) string. Chords are usually fine with just four strings rather than six, but if a melody goes lower than D, you'll have to compensate, usually by playing in a different key, or simply by playing a whole octave higher.

By tuning the instrument GDAE, like a mandolin, fiddle or tenor banjo, (with suitable strings), you'd end up with a much wider range of notes, but, obviously, a new set of chord-shapes and fingering to learn. I offer this thought merely as a suggestion, not necessarily a recommendation, though I have done something very similar and am very happy with the result :)