Will my Pono AT be easier to play with Reds or Worth Browns?

steel rider

Reaction score
I just got a set of Aquila Reds (glutton for punishment) and Worth Browns. I need to put a set on the Fluke to get it going again but can go either way.
I'm wondering, for the Pono, which set do you think will play more easily for bar chords, no buzzing, etc? Most likely I will try both but what do folks think?

My GF has Aquila Reds on her Pono but it has a radiused fretboard. Barring chords is easier on that Pono than any uke i've ever played.

You are in luck...........sort of. I had Aquila Reds on my Pete Howlett tenor and have Worth Browns on that same instrument right now. There was a different string on there between these two but I remember the Reds very well.

The "sort of part" is I did not notice much difference between the two. If pushed I would say the Reds are very slightly lower tension and easier to barr, but not by much really.

Last edited:
A few months ago, I put a set of Aquila Reds on a concert Fluke. I really like the sound. So maybe put the Worths on the Pono and the Reds on the Fluke.

Yes I'm going with Reds on the Fluke and Worths on the Pono. Mostly because the Fluke already has three Reds that work fine and the Browns would just blend in with the Fluke fretboard.
I must have thought this out when I ordered because I got a single low g. So I will still have a set if Reds and the extra length of the Browns to play with.

is easy with fluos for me, because aquilas are to "fat"

Pompon

Top Bottom