For people who play ukes of any kind

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmgberg

Reaction score
I like them!

Just writing in support of Jon's statements. Enjoy your ukuleles of any kind.

I like them too. All Ukes, not just the ones I an afford. Mahalos, or similarily priced. Was hoping that with the Affordable Uke thread I could get some tips, but I guess having a thread about that is not allowed

Last edited:
:agree::agree:
You can ask any question about any priced uke you want but I for one do NOT see the need to create a separate thread for such a discussion; all that does is divide the community unnecessarily. Having read this board for over 5 years I have seen advice and opinions shared on all topics and all range of ukes whether they be inexpensive or expensive. Why create a dividing line that will only breed ill feeling?

I love ukes, too. I am so grateful for these charming instruments.

I have a severe anxiety disorder and I have recently discovered when I feel an attack coming on, if I pick up my uke and start playing, it starts to subside and I feel better/can function/breathe/stop shaking.

Literally, the uke is changing my life.

Playing the ukulele lowers my blood pressure and relaxes me. It is amazing. I've played music since I was eleven, and nothing does it for me like this. I can see how playing a ukulele would take the edge off of an anxiety attack.

There are a gazillion threads here about "best XXX Ukulele" under $xxx.xx. You can get tips based on price from a simple question like that. It's been done over and over and over again.

I think the titles of the other post(s) were just not well thought out. "Affordable" is a relative term, and framing things in that way is categorizing Ukulele players by income - something Jon rightly feels is prejudicial.

There are a gazillion threads here about "best XXX Ukulele" under $xxx.xx. You can get tips based on price from a simple question like that. It's been done over and over and over again.

I think the titles of the other post(s) were just not well thought out. "Affordable" is a relative term, and framing things in that way is categorizing Ukulele players by income - something Jon rightly feels is prejudicial.

Too true. The search feature at Ukulele Underground is a trove of great information.

I like them too. All Ukes, not just the ones I an afford. Mahalos, or similarily priced. Was hoping that with the Affordable Uke thread I could get some tips, but I guess having a thread about that is not allowed

You can create any type of thread you desire. My thinking is if you have a Mahalo, simply make a thread about Mahalos, asking what you want to know about them. Make sense? If you say, "I only want to know about ukes that cost $xxx and less", you are excluding others purposefully. It has never been that way on this forum until recently, and shouldn't be that way now.

There will be some out there who disagree with me, and say that their freedom of speech is being limited. Well, guess what...this forum is owned and maintained by a team of people. You are here free of charge. . I think the moderators here are very lenient and try their best to allow many threads to play themselves out. I have paid a yearly premium to help maintain this forum and to be free of the ads. But it doesn't give me any more right than anybody else to cause divisiveness. This no one's personal playground to say as you please.

Listen, man, I'm really not trying to knock you here. I'm talking in general about the state of deterioration of things around this forum if the last few months. There has been so much arguing and bickering here, that it's just sad. This used to be a place that I could come to and feel joy. There's just too many out there that take things personally.

I would hope we can all remember to go by a saying that a very good friend of mine has made legendary here on this forum.....

HAPPY STRUMMINGS!!

Last edited:

Hi Dirk...

Have you read the thread in question? There was a lot of mean spirited post handed out, many by one individual in particular. I've skipped around through it, and it kind just disheartened me. You may or may not have posted there.

Hi Dirk...

Have you read the thread in question? There was a lot of mean spirited post handed out, many by one individual in particular. I've skipped around through it, and it kind just disheartened me. You may or may not have posted there.

Not sure if you all are referring to my affordable ukes thread.
It really was meant to be a discussion about all brands such as ohana, kala, lanikai, cordoba, oscar schmit, snail ukes/amahi, mahalo, diamond headl, rogue, johnson, stagg, etc etc I used the term affordable ukes instead of listing all brands which are more easily afforded by people of all monetary status. My intend of the post was not to be 'mean spirited' it was just to discuss all of those kind of ukes out there. Sorry if my thread offended so many people.

Hi Dirk...

Hello cs,

I read most - didn't post - I may have missed the worst part you're referring to. My point is simply that "affordable" is too relative a term to do anything but cause bad feelings.

Hello cs,

I read most - didn't post - I may have missed the worst part you're referring to. My point is simply that "affordable" is too relative a term to do anything but cause bad feelings.

my use of the word affordable meant more 'intermediate' ukulele brands : kala, ohana, lanikai etc.
I didn't post it to cause ill feelings. sorry

Iam....

Sometimes threads are not meant, by the OP, to be mean-spirited. Sometimes they just spin out of control and go kablooey. That thread sure did. But Eugene is correct.....we are not a divisive group in general.

We all love the ukuleles we have -- price does not matter. Well, it shouldn't matter. I just bought an ukulele for my first grandchild -- who is now only 6 days old. I bought him a purple gecko. We are going to have so much fun with it.

Last edited:
Iam....

Sometimes threads are not meant, by the OP, to be mean-spirited. Sometimes they just spin out of control and go kablooey. That thread sure did. But Eugene is correct.....we are not a divisive group in general.

We all love the ukuleles we have -- price does not matter. Well, it shouldn't matter. I just bought an ukulele for my first grandchild -- who is now only 5 days old. I bought him a purple gecko. We are going to have so much fun with it.

what i really wanted was a discussion about the good and the bad about various 'intermediate' ukuleles i wanted tips/advice
etc etc but people seemed to take it the wrong way. I can of course look at the search feature but i was hoping to have a
friendly discussion about all those brand ukes, apparently that did not happen but my intent was nothing more than a friendly
discussion and not meant to be ill spirited or hurtful in any way shape or form.

You can create any type of thread you desire. My thinking is if you have a Mahalo, simply make a thread about Mahalos, asking what you want to know about them. Make sense?
Yes it does, but before I can ask for tips, for a Mahalo, or other such cheap uke, I need to know what to ask for.

If you say, "I only want to know about ukes that cost $xxx and less", you are excluding others purposefully.
I looked at that thread as a possible source of info that could be more useful to me and the ukes I can afford.

There will be some out there who disagree with me, and say that their freedom of speech is being limited. Well, guess what...this forum is owned and maintained by a team of people. You are here free of charge. . I think the moderators here are very lenient and try their best to allow many threads to play themselves out. I have paid a yearly premium to help maintain this forum and to be free of the ads. But it doesn't give me any more right than anybody else to cause divisiveness. This no one's personal playground to say as you please.

I don't disagree with you there.

Listen, man, I'm really not trying to knock you here.

I appreciate that.

Last edited:
Not sure if you all are referring to my affordable ukes thread.
It really was meant to be a discussion about all brands such as ohana, kala, lanikai, cordoba, oscar schmit, snail ukes/amahi, mahalo, diamond headl, rogue, johnson, stagg, etc etc I used the term affordable ukes instead of listing all brands which are more easily afforded by people of all monetary status. My intend of the post was not to be 'mean spirited' it was just to discuss all of those kind of ukes out there. Sorry if my thread offended so many people.

Actually it wasn't the thread itself. I understood what you meant. It was some of your posts that disheartened me. It was almost as if you felt you were one man against the world. I would hope that you don't really believe that way. We don't. But you didn't make it easy. I've seen you on many other threads in the past, and that I recall, you've never went out on a tangent the way you did on that particular thread. I would humbly ask for you to go back and read from as detached point of view as you can to see what I mean.

If you don't see it as that way now, I would humbly ask that you go back to the thread and read it through again, and try to read it from a detached point of view. Again, to you, I really don't want you to see this as 'the man trying to beat you down' because I'm not.

Iam....

We all love the ukuleles we have -- price does not matter. Well, it shouldn't matter. I just bought an ukulele for my first grandchild -- who is now only 6 days old. I bought him a purple gecko. We are going to have so much fun with it.

You'll have him playing a duet with you at UWC VIII I'll bet. :)

Yes it does, but before I can ask for tips, for a Mahalo, or other such cheap uke, I need to know what to ask for.

I looked at that thread as a possible source of info that could be more useful to me and the ukes I can afford. I'll have to go back for another look but don't recall a post that excluded anyone, or indicated that the participants did not wish to know about more expensive ukuleles.

I don't disagree with you there.

I appreciate that.

I started the thread and I'm always looking at info on expensive ukuleles for the future when i can afford one.
I'm not singling out anyone. I see so many posts about expensive ukes, and isn't that discluding people of a lower income
isn't that dividing the community? I can try to discuss about those instruments but i don't have one and at the moment
i can't afford one. People with low income will not be able to get those instruments, but everyone can afford a 20 dollar uke
so why not discuss something everyone can afford and try to find which one in that price range is best? i don't really think
theres anything awful about it and my intent was to create a helpful thread....as of now as someone of lower income
i actually feel singled out and discluded by some of the things being said now......its ok to post a bunch of threads about 1000
dollar ukes but posting a thread about lower end/intermediate/affordable however you want to call it ukes is wrong?
seems a bit one sided too me. Nothing trying to fight its just my opinion.

Last edited:
I looked at that thread as a possible source of info that could be more useful to me and the ukes I can afford. I'll have to go back for another look but don't recall a post that excluded anyone, or indicated that the participants did not wish to know about more expensive ukuleles.

My point is, there were some posts that insinuated that people who owned high price ukes were 'snobbish' or 'too good' to give advice about 'lowly' ukes under so much of a cost. Everybody had to start somewhere, and most of those with high-priced ukes started with something that was less expensive.

I suppose I was 'lucky' in that regard. The very first uke I bought was on a Hawaiian cruise on the Big Island at a small stand in Kona. The brand and type? A KoAloha soprano. I didn't know crap about ukes when I bought it either. If that makes me a snob, so be it. Since then, I've bought two Dolphins, and I enjoy playing them just as much as I do my KoAloha.

Weird, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom