any interest on a soprano scale concert body ukulele?

tangimango

Reaction score
Saw a youtube of a koaloha soprano scale on a concert body.
Would you buy one if they were available in the market?

I personally have no interest. But I want to know what are the reasons if anyone interesting about a short neck concert uke?

No interest here, but since I prefer concert scale, I might like a tenor body with a concert scale neck on it. Then again, there are a few high quality concerts out there that sound nearly as full as many tenors.

The unasked question is....are you considering building again? A long neck (concert neck) on a soprano body puts the joint point at the 14th fret rather than the 12th. Would a short neck concert put the joint point at the 10th fret? The Eddy Finn travel concert has amazing tone and volume. Would it be possible to use that body configuration and make a travel soprano?There's such a slight difference in fret spacing between a soprano and a concert, would it be worth the effort to bring it into being? These are some of the questions I would want to know before committing to buy one.

Boat Paddle Ukuleles is making great instruments with bigger bodies and short-scale necks. My ML-tenor has a baritone body and tenor neck. It has a very full and deep sound.

Jerry Hoffman also makes:
- concert body with soprano neck
- tenor body with concert neck

http://www.boatpaddleukuleles.com/instruments.php

As I generally see longer scale necks on smaller scale bodies, it's seems "ack-basswords" from the usual deviations. Doesn't mean it doesn't have merit. In fact, similar to the concept floated here, I noticed that Pepe Romero now has an XS Soprano that is akin to the Tiny Tenor but diminutive, so it's a soprano body with a quite short neck. HMS has a couple for sale. Of course the sound samples are great because it's in Corey's hands. I could understand somebody wanting one of these specifically for portability while still having "bigger" sound.

Saw a youtube of a koaloha soprano scale on a concert body.
Would you buy one if they were available in the market?

I have two. They are called the Ohana Vita Uke.

-Kurt​

I personally have no interest. But I want to know what are the reasons if anyone interesting about a short neck concert uke?
For me it would be playability since I have such little hands. Seriously my hand from wrist to tip of longest finger is 6". That or I need a neck that's thin like a mandolin. I'd maybe be able to reach a 4442 E that way (not a practice thing. I've been working on it for years).

For me it would be playability since I have such little hands. Seriously my hand from wrist to tip of longest finger is 6". That or I need a neck that's thin like a mandolin. I'd maybe be able to reach a 4442 E that way (not a practice thing. I've been working on it for years).
I have the same problem. Even though I am above average height, the distance from my wrist to tip of longest finger is only 6.5“, (and getting shorter as time goes on, due to the progression of my rheumatoid arthritis). Short hands, combined with wrists that now have limited bend/twist movement, are compelling me to find easier versions of many chords. But where there is will, there is a way.

Hmmm, short easy to fret neck combined with a larger body for better sound. Sounds good to me.

Concert is my favorite Uke size; but I have a few sopranos & enjoy playing them too.
You present an interesting design idea.
Some thoughts I had:
If you had a soprano scale on a concert body, you would have to move the bridge closer to the sound hole if you want to join the neck to the body at the 12th fret. This would change the "soprano" sound. That would be in addition to the impact of the larger body volume. Additionally, I don't know if the soprano string tension would be enough to drive the soundboard enough to benefit from the changes.

It would be an interesting experiment.

I have two. They are called the Ohana Vita Uke.
John Bianchi - a one active member here - has one which he expertly plays on YouTube.

IIRC Uncle Rod Higuchi had a friend make a Soprano scale concert body Uke for him and he was very pleased with it.

Im interested in the photo if you have one. I am also interested in a concert neck sopranissimo. Think a pear at the end of a club.

Top Bottom