PDA

View Full Version : any interest on a soprano scale concert body ukulele?

tangimango
07-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Saw a youtube of a koaloha soprano scale on a concert body.
Would you buy one if they were available in the market?

Hammond
07-04-2014, 12:00 AM
I personally have no interest. But I want to know what are the reasons if anyone interesting about a short neck concert uke?

PhilUSAFRet
07-04-2014, 12:27 AM
No interest here, but since I prefer concert scale, I might like a tenor body with a concert scale neck on it. Then again, there are a few high quality concerts out there that sound nearly as full as many tenors.

TheCraftedCow
07-05-2014, 05:03 AM
The unasked question is....are you considering building again? A long neck (concert neck) on a soprano body puts the joint point at the 14th fret rather than the 12th. Would a short neck concert put the joint point at the 10th fret? The Eddy Finn travel concert has amazing tone and volume. Would it be possible to use that body configuration and make a travel soprano?There's such a slight difference in fret spacing between a soprano and a concert, would it be worth the effort to bring it into being? These are some of the questions I would want to know before committing to buy one.

NewKid
07-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Boat Paddle Ukuleles is making great instruments with bigger bodies and short-scale necks. My ML-tenor has a baritone body and tenor neck. It has a very full and deep sound.

Jerry Hoffman also makes:
- concert body with soprano neck
- tenor body with concert neck

http://www.boatpaddleukuleles.com/instruments.php

Ukulele Eddie
07-06-2014, 09:54 AM
As I generally see longer scale necks on smaller scale bodies, it's seems "ack-basswords" from the usual deviations. Doesn't mean it doesn't have merit. In fact, similar to the concept floated here, I noticed that Pepe Romero now has an XS Soprano that is akin to the Tiny Tenor but diminutive, so it's a soprano body with a quite short neck. HMS has a couple for sale. Of course the sound samples are great because it's in Corey's hands. I could understand somebody wanting one of these specifically for portability while still having "bigger" sound.

ksiegel
07-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Saw a youtube of a koaloha soprano scale on a concert body.
Would you buy one if they were available in the market?

I have two. They are called the Ohana Vita Uke.

-Kurt