Vietnamese Six String Tenor for Trade

provines

Reaction score
I've decided to keep this now that I've replaced the low A string with a high A. It no longer drives me crazy.

I picked this Vietnamese Six String up because I thought it would be cool to play a six string, it looks really neat and the price was good. I quickly found that I don't like playing the six string. I should have known better as I don't personally like the low G on a four string. This is a solid wood uke. The inlay quality is o.k. but not super and it has some some finishing flaws where the fretboard meets the body. There is also a rough spot on the fretboard towards the body. I think the inlay on the body and headstock is really a inlay "sticker" that was layed on the body and then the body was finished. It looks o.k. The inlay on the fretboard looks like real inlay. I replaced the crappy strings that came with it with an Aquilla set. I think I've just about got them stretched so the tuning doesn't go out every five minutes. I really don't want to sell it outright, I'd rather trade it for someone's uke that sits loney in their collection. PM if you're interested and I'll e-mail you more photographs. Oh, it comes with a hard case.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Thanks for the honesty about the inlay "sticker." I had always wondered how they offered these at reasonable prices. I mean, I know Vietnamese labor is not that expensive, but still. Now I can be an informed browser on eBay when I see these. Thanks!

That's the one. This uke is actually a good looking solid instrument. I just bought a baritone from him but I haven't received it yet.

Ok, thanks provines. I always thought about bidding on one of their ukes, but wasn't sure if they were just trying to get lots of money off of cheaply made instruments.

It actually sounds o.k. I really think it could benefit from geared tuners instead of the pegs. The low A is hard to keep in tune. I'll try to post a video later today.

Last edited:
Really close up pics

I put my maco lens and ring flash on and took these really close up telling pics of the areas that needed better finishing. After closer inspection, it looks like they use a really thin mother of pearl inlay and create the images such as the Hawaiian girl, moon etc. as you would a "sticker." On the fretboard, I think they cut it just enough to lay the layer on flush with the fretboard. The fretboard could use a layer of poly. On the body and headstock they just lay it on the wood and finish over it. Now, I'm not a luthier nor even try to play one on T.V. so this is just my observation. They look o.k. when you hold the instrument. Looking at it from half and inch away shows the inside story.

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
More

More photos

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 13
Last two

Last two...

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 12
Baritone

The baritone I ordered from the same guy came in today. Check this out... it came in a wooden crate and look at all the labels it took to get it from Vietnam to Texas! By the way, it is a beauty. The inlay on the fretboard looks nice. All in all, not a bad buy.

Attachments

• IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 23
"inlayedartist" does use true MOP and abalone inlay but 85% of his instruments crack within a few weeks....he does nice work its just rushed thats why they sell cheap. His rating on ebay stays high because he also sells mass amounts of MOP for other people looking to do inlays.

I now have two so I'll let you know how long they last. I don't mind being the tester. The worst that could happen is that I'm out a few hundred dollars. I plan on keeping my new baritone at my office so I'll play it every day but the six string will lie domant in it's case since the low A drives me crazy.

that's a sick uke right dere :D mmm

I now have two so I'll let you know how long they last. I don't mind being the tester. The worst that could happen is that I'm out a few hundred dollars. I plan on keeping my new baritone at my office so I'll play it every day but the six string will lie domant in it's case since the low A drives me crazy.

quick fix to the Low A craziness... double it up. make it two high A's and you will notice a big difference. it will sound almost like you have a chorus effect to it... but acoustic.

Great idea.

I plan on taking the day off this Friday so I'll take the six string into my garage and put the dremel to it. I plan on removing the glue/poly from the bottom of the fretboard and then spraying it with a thin coat of poly. I'll also sand down the rough spot on the fretboard and give it a coat of poly as well. I'll double up the A string while I'm at it. I'll make a short video next week and post it here so you can see whether it was a success or I made a planter out of it.

Top Bottom