Looking for trusted and dependable online stores that ship to Canada

Solomon_Moon

Reaction score
I recently had my Kala mango tenor stolen and need to replace it ASAP. I loved that uke with all of my heart, played it every single day for the last 6 years. Was purchased from MGM.
I play professionally and need a great sounding workhorse that can be amplified (I perform regularly and is a big part of my income). I'm willing to spend upwards of 600-700$.
All the retailers in my area have no clue what they are talking about and try to push toys on me at insultingly inflated prices (oh,the horror stories I can tell you). I'm hesitant to buy online for some of the same reasons.
I've been a long time lurker and value and respect a lot of the advice I've found on here.
So what are some of the places you get your gear from that you trust?
I should also mention I have never played any other uke, my Kala was my first and I loved it so much I never thought of getting another one (or thought I would ever need to), so any suggestions for higher end models is welcomed.

HMS (Hawaii Music Supply). I've had several shipments from them to Alberta - all excellent transactions and never an issue shipping.

HMS (Hawaii Music Supply). I've had several shipments from them to Alberta - all excellent transactions and never an issue shipping.

I don't live in canada but you can't find a company that does a better set up on an instrument imo. I'll always use them all things being equal. I trust them and I don't trust many or easily due to some bad experiences. In fact I just did trust them on a $800 uke purchased just two days ago. I'm confident that when I get it it will be just how I ordered it with a set up per my instructions.

Last edited:
Man people on these forums order from HMS, Mim's Ukes, and Uke Republic. Those are the three main sellers that come to mind.

You will hear about HMS, Uke Republic and Mims again and again for good reason, super knowledgable and reliable. I live in Ontario and bought my KoAloha Opio from HMS and it was a smooth tranaction from start to finish. I wish everyone of my other retail experiences were so positive. I will buy from them again, the owner Andrew is very accessable and extremely helpful.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Dixie Ukuleles also ships worldwide. www.ukulele.mx

Hopefully your new instrument will bring a positive to all this.

Last edited:
You don't mention your location but there are options within Canada too. Long and McQuade have stores across the country and also do mail order. I've never bought a uke from them but know people who have. I've had good experience buying other things and they have low shipping rates and a good return policy. Also, based in Quebec, there is Guitar Junky. No experience but I would not hesitate to purchase from them.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=search&SearchTxt=ukulele&x=42&y=15

http://guitarjunky.ca/spip.php?rubrique96

P.S. You might also consider buying a uke from the UU Marketplace (some will ship to Canada). Get more uke for the same money.

Last edited:
You might also consider the 12th Fret in Toronto.

Just be aware that, depending on who the shipping company is, you'll be paying 10-25% on top of the cost of the instrument in import duties/brokerage fees if ordering from the US. I find that USPS seems to have the lowest fees while fedex and UPS are the worst. I did a trade with a fellow UU-er last year. No cash changed hands, but the shipment I received from the States was insured for $500. I ended up paying about $150 in brokerage fees to UPS just based on that $500 valuation.

Hawaii Music Supply. Enough said.

I only have one uke, and it was shipped to Colorado from HMS. But I can say, without question, that the packing job done by HMS was the best packing job of anything I have every bought online. They did a fantastic job of protecting the uke from any shipping damage.

Mimsukes.com. Enough said.

Your profile doesn't specify where in Canada you are. It's kind of a big country.

For Canadian retailers... if you want another Kala, there's Long & McQuade.

Ontario:

There's 12th Fret in Toronto. They have new and used. Got my first Mahalo there (impulse buy) but they have ukes in your price target.

In Guelph, there's Folkway Music. Even though I'm in Toronto, I drove there for my second ukulele, a Kiwaya. Loved it and sad I had to sell it when I upgraded (some sacrifices must be made for the gods of UAS...). They now have a location in Waterloo, ON, also.

If you're looking for a tenor and suddenly have a larger budget, there's Luis Feu de Mesquita. I have one of his tenors with the traditional Macaferri soundhole and just ordered a 'petite bouche' tenor (the first will be a low-G and the new one high-G).

In Orangeville, there's Broadview Music. I visited them but when I went they didn't have the one I wanted in stock... that's when I drove to Folkway. Good people, owners do a lot for the ukulele community.

For other parts of Canada, check out Google. If you're looking for mass market brands then it's just a question of price and shipping cost.

Top Bottom