Outdoor Ukulele... Tenor folks

Ukejenny

Reaction score
I notice there hasn't been an update on the Facebook page since June 17th in reference to the ordered tenors.

Any speculations or information on what the holdup might be?

I've sent them emails several time and never even had the courtesy of a response once. That's pretty frustrating. At this point I've just put the whole thing out of mind for now cause I don't think I'll see it this summer and that was my plan to have it for summer camping. But if I don't hear something in a month or so I might just cancel my order. I don't appreciate being ignored. I'm a paying customer.

Just sent them another email. If I don't get a response this time within a few days I'll likely just cancel. Thanks for posting this as I might not have acted otherwise.

Oh, goodness, I hope I didn't churn things up for you. I want to hold out and hope that they will get back to folks. I posted a question on the Facebook page and it is so unlike the company to not have something posted every week. Up until mid-June - they were so good about giving updates, even if nothing really new was going on. My husband, who has some experience with plastic injection molding and manufacturing, is starting to feel ominous about the whole thing. I was hoping to have the ukuleles here in time to go on vacation to the beach. Now, I guess I can either take a blue Mahalo that sounds pretty spotty, or my beloved Ohana soprano that I do not want out in the elements.

Aye, still waiting here, it was only recently that I realised there were any updates at all (I didn't have them added on Facebook)

Oh, goodness, I hope I didn't churn things up for you. I want to hold out and hope that they will get back to folks. I posted a question on the Facebook page and it is so unlike the company to not have something posted every week. Up until mid-June - they were so good about giving updates, even if nothing really new was going on. My husband, who has some experience with plastic injection molding and manufacturing, is starting to feel ominous about the whole thing. I was hoping to have the ukuleles here in time to go on vacation to the beach. Now, I guess I can either take a blue Mahalo that sounds pretty spotty, or my beloved Ohana soprano that I do not want out in the elements.

You did nothing but remind me of something I'd been getting concerned about but I've been busy with other UAS issues. That tenor was a bit of a novelty item for me and my gf. I can take my Fluke camping and I know it sounds good and will hold up well. So I'm not waiting just to find out I won't see it this summer. All they had to do is respond to one of my very polite enquiries to date. But it looks like they choose to consider me unimportant or a sale already made and in no need of further attention. Well they're in for one tiny surprise. I spent much of my life in sales. I learned that there is a real person on the other end of that purchase with their own needs and wants and concerns. If they call me to express them then I respond to reassure them or let them know the bad news and give them a proper choice so they might not leave forever. But if I cancel this order I forget this company ever existed unless someone asks me what I think about them. And that's that. I move on.

You did nothing but remind me of something I'd been getting concerned about but I've been busy with other UAS issues. That tenor was a bit of a novelty item for me and my gf. I can take my Fluke camping and I know it sounds good and will hold up well. So I'm not waiting just to find out I won't see it this summer. All they had to do is respond to one of my very polite enquiries to date. But it looks like they choose to consider me unimportant or a sale already made and in no need of further attention. Well they're in for one tiny surprise. I spent much of my life in sales. I learned that there is a real person on the other end of that purchase with their own needs and wants and concerns. If they call me to express them then I respond to reassure them or let them know the bad news and give them a proper choice so they might not leave forever. But if I cancel this order I forget this company ever existed unless someone asks me what I think about them. And that's that. I move on.

Well said. Can't say I blame you.

To be fair to them, I emailed for a full refund and got it promptly.

Update on the tenor pre-order page today -

July 8th Update: The molder completed changes to the top part mold to increase resin flow, and will be running top parts soon. The body parts are complete and all other parts are ready for production.

I'm glad they finally updated. Posts on their page were started to sound worrisome. My husband posted one as me (he doesn't have a FB account), asking for any information good or bad.

Update on the tenor pre-order page today -

July 8th Update: The molder completed changes to the top part mold to increase resin flow, and will be running top parts soon. The body parts are complete and all other parts are ready for production.

That's the same update they had a month or more ago isn't it? Not very reassuring to me, I think they just changed the date is all.:(

That's the same update they had a month or more ago isn't it? Not very reassuring to me, I think they just changed the date is all.:(

yeah I noticed that too. same update from last month, just switched the date.

Well once again trying to contact them was an exercise in futility. I've tried 4 times over two months. It's not surprising they don't give a phone number. IMO they have no intentions toward customer interface beyond making an initial sale.

Well the problem for me was things slowed to a halt as as far as I could tell on progress in actually getting them made. This latest update was no update at all as they left the current update in place and just put up a new date. To me, without being able to ask, that means production issues and they are stuck. Who knows what those issues, if any, actually are. I for one have given up any hope of having it for this summers camping travels which was the whole idea behind this purchase. Beyond that it really serves no purpose for me beyond being a novelty.

I've cancelled my order as of this morning. I'll be curious to see how this all plays out for the rest of you all. It's disappointing of course but the blow was softened completely by my getting a email from HMS notifying me that my new PONO has left their building and should be in my hands by the weekend.:)

I'm really trying to be optimistic. Seems that they did not realize that a bigger size would create such production issues.

I wanted a ukulele I could take traveling this summer for several trips- one that could stay in a hot car for 5-6 hours without babying it. I picked up a Silvertone soprano as a beater ukulele. Problem is, I really like it. It sounds great with a mellow mahogany uke tone. So, it travels in the passenger seat with the AC blowing on it and then gets carried around with me so it does not stay in the car and warp etc. which kind of negates the non-babying aspect.

I am down for the Clara Roadtrip next month. I know that it will deliver all that I wanted in the Outdoor Ukulele plus have a fantastic sound. So, while I support the concept of the OU, it may be time to move on.

I'm glad they finally updated. Posts on their page were started to sound worrisome. My husband posted one as me (he doesn't have a FB account), asking for any information good or bad.

I was actually considering buying one of the tenors just as a take anywhere tenor i could beat up.
I was considering selling a few things i had around to buy it but now after people saying their
canceling their orders and theres no response from them in regards to their orders i'll have to pass
the tenor ones looked pretty cool too oh well!

Last edited:
Did a little fast research on Outdoor Ukulele and it's tenor ukulele. This is an interesting article which may put some light in this.

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/...3d-printed-ukulele-prototype-outdoor-ukulele/

thats actually cool though did not know it was designed with a 3d printer thats actually pretty cool!
i really would like one but if their having issues getting the orders i may pass and or wait until they
have their issues sorted out in a few months.

I would do the same except for me the lack of customer service is a deal breaker for future business transactions. I like to be able to get a response if I have a question or a concern. Best of luck to everyone on this. I hope it works out in the end for you all.

I would do the same except for me the lack of customer service is a deal breaker for future business transactions. I like to be able to get a response if I have a question or a concern. Best of luck to everyone on this. I hope it works out in the end for you all.

Maybe i'll consider seeing if anyone is selling a used one in a few months that may also
solve the issues of buying it direct.

Top Bottom