Nut seating/ location

Chris_H

Reaction score
I just made 3 necks, (just the cuts and pattern routing, no carving) then realized that where I cut them square at the body join, leaves the nut sitting on the neck, on the other side of the line where the headstock plane begins. I forgot to add the width of the nut to the distance between the 12th fret and the nut.

This leaves the underside of the nut cut at an angle. Does anyone do this on purpose? Should I toss the necks? I do not like wasting wood at all, but these are some nice bodies and it would be a shame to continue past a substandard mistake.

I can make them work, but should I toss them?

OOps...

Recalculate the scale to what you've got. ..and make fretboard to match. (That's if I understand what you,re saying)

Funny you should do that the same day I changed after 12 years to putting it on the flat!!!

My only reason for doing so was to make it easier to miter the fingerboard binding bwb to the headstock binding bwbs.

On the slope looks better I think and is trickier to do but either or really...whatever

Funny you should do that the same day I changed after 12 years to putting it on the flat!!!

My only reason for doing so was to make it easier to miter the fingerboard binding bwb to the headstock binding bwbs.

On the slope looks better I think and is trickier to do but either or really...whatever works on the day.

Thank you for all the answers. I was a little worried there for a second.

Now I understand :) all I do is sand a little off the face of the neck at an angle on the belt sander to extend the length of the face you only have to remove a few thou to get 5mm....and I sand a bit off the face of the headstock to go the other way.

Yes, that works, but these necks have already been fitted to the bodies, barrel nuts set, headstock profile cut, CF slot cut. Sanding the top of the neck to regain that 5mm would mean I probably get to adjust the necks again. With the roughed in blanks, I do true them up on belt sander.

Top Bottom