Season 125 - Summer SOUL Week

greenie44

Big King Velour
UU VIP
Reaction score
It’s Season of the Ukulele 125 – Summer SOUL Week!

Your task is to record a soul tune. It could be a soul song from the classic repertoire, which I think centers around Stax/Volt and FAME Studio in Muscle Shoals, but certainly goes farther than just those two locales. It could be a song not normally thought of as a soul tune, but done in a soulful manner. Your choice.

Multitracking allowed and encouraged. Oooh, I’d love to see some horns somewhere in there this week.

The video doesn’t have to be made for this week – if you have shown your soul in a previously made clip, bring it on.

One official entry and no more than three bonuses, please, since I would like to comment on all of them.

And three – count ‘em, three – types of prizes –
  1. Everyone who enters gets a prize, to be announced later. All you have to do is to get me your address somehow.
  2. One terrific soul chatchke for the most soulful rendition of the week, as displayed and described in the video. Doesn’t have to be the most technically proficient, but your soul must come through.
  3. For every distinct collaboration, you get an entry in the hat. Three winners will be pulled, who get a special soul compilation. (I flubbed up in the intro video and called it a ‘collaboration’)

Entries playlist

Bonus playlist
Flashback playlist

For those in need of suggestions, this site seems to have a decent list. But remember - ANY song can be done in a soulful way. I mentioned one example in the video, but another would be Otis' version of The Tennessee Waltz.

One small correction – in the intro video, I say that the collaborations I have done are “great”. I mean that they were great fun, not necessarily great quality – but it’s all about fun.

And it’s all about SOUL.

BTW, this may be the longest intro video for a Season that I have ever seen, but since a few minutes of it is the great Otis Redding, I make no apologies.

Last edited:
Ok, Soul: check, horns: check, multitrack: Check - old vids allowed. We did one that fits your description quite well in season 76, BUT we hope to get some MORE SOUL done this week.

See. If this were really a competition we would not have any more entries.
Who can compete with this?
I'll have to wear THE T-shirt this week and hope some of this talent rubs off.
Pure soul brilliance right here!

Ok, Soul: check, horns: check, multitrack: Check - old vids allowed. We did one that fits your description quite well in season 76, BUT we hope to get some MORE SOUL done this week.

Well, I don't think I have ever typed this. O. M. G.

Folks, the bar has been set. Ukelites, I was hoping for something good from you all, and you done nailed it. I am in awe.

But I sure would love to see even more from you this week.

Last edited:
See. If this were really a competition we would not have any more entries.
Who can compete with this?

Brian - SOUL comes from inside. Reach down there and grab a hunk. But this is unbelievably killer . . .

Hey, in some past weeks, a particular tune has received many different interpretations. This could happen again this week. Just sayin . . . .

Last edited:

Stick a fork in the week already. Usually it's pabrizzer that breaks my heart from the start.

I hope to contribute this week, but I'd like to make a request:

Would the tribute band Sean and Dave please perform "I'm a Soul Man"?

Stick a fork in the week already. Usually it's pabrizzer that breaks my heart from the start.

I know , Miri and Steff come onnnnnnnnnnnn... the bar is now set sooooo high I can neither Fosby Flip it (Encyclopedia Brittani..okay WikiPedia, all you youngsters) nor do I have to Limbo under it....(Encyclo etc ) sheesh.....

and I don't even know much Soul Music ........just the book about music with rocks in it by Terry Pratchett........I never used to listen to Soul Music in the seventies or after........I was a prog rocker and folk rocker....and head banger .....and stuff.

Bird Without A Head , Ukey D, Pa B , Fred...anyone ---------helppppp !!!!!

Ooh. I like me this theme. Only problem will be... well... picking which songs to do x3. So mah good ones.

Also, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who says "chatchke"

and I don't even know much Soul Music ........just the book about music with rocks in it by Terry Pratchett........I never used to listen to Soul Music in the seventies or after........I was a prog rocker and folk rocker....and head banger .....and stuff.

I added a link to a site with song lists to the initial post - come on, CJ (or Eileen, for that matter), you can do it.

ah................. soul

;)

great theme and A PRIZE FOR EVERYONE????????????? that has got to be a seasons first, right?! wonderful, greenie!

ah................. soul

;)

great theme and A PRIZE FOR EVERYONE????????????? that has got to be a seasons first, right?! wonderful, greenie!

We had a song in Australia called 'You Are Soul'

Doug was a DJ who did a bit of comedy stuff.
I actually met him at a Triumph motorcycle ride day and he was a nice bloke.

and no I offered a beer coaster to everyone who entered my first season I think - didn't get that many takers and yes it's too late now.

Last edited:
I suppose if we gotta wait. Me and Melissa...and Otis Redding. I love this video.

My head is in Muscle Shoals tonight. Can't wait to see what shapes up.

And no I offered a beer coaster to everyone who entered my first season I think - didn't get that many takers and yes it's too late now.

also, Dave the Wave, I believe, offered custom hot sauce to all in the first Season I entered. This prize won't make it to that level, but hopefully will be nice.

'You Are Soul'
lol!

and no I offered a beer coaster to everyone who entered my first season I think
yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

it's too late now.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :(

also, Dave the Wave, I believe, offered custom hot sauce to all in the first Season I entered.
well i live and learn! i think a prize for everyone is a lovely idea. regardless of how tiny and humble and light in weight it might be, whichever way you shake it up this is gonna cost a fortune in international postage, right? especially now we have, what is it now, half a million seasonistas?

I know it's not time for REAL entries or even ACTUAL bonuses yet, but this pre-show has been so much fun for me with some of my favorite ukers EVER bringing out their soul classics! I just had to join in the fun.

This is one of the first few songs I ever recorded on the uke back in this 2011 FLASHBACK. I've loved this tune for so long! I even recorded it again later but I like this one better. xoxoxox

Last edited:
Great theme, Rick. Soul week = Ubass week! Oh yeah!
Time to do a little crate digging. I immediately have a couple of candidates. Choices...

also, Dave the Wave, I believe, offered custom hot sauce to all in the first Season I entered. This prize won't make it to that level, but hopefully will be nice.

well i live and learn! i think a prize for everyone is a lovely idea. regardless of how tiny and humble and light in weight it might be, whichever way you shake it up this is gonna cost a fortune in international postage, right? especially now we have, what is it now, half a million seasonistas?

I still have Dave Wave's Tasbaco sauce in the cupboard where we keep our unopened bottles of sauces and condiments.

Top Bottom