Boulder creek riptide

Jools1050

Reaction score
I'm drawn towards this good looker, does anyone know how they sound? It appeals to me on a cosmetic basis but I can't try before I buy !!

image.jpg

Here's a good review of the solid spruce topped model with laminated rosewood body. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-tGsLU1OeM. A lot depends on price. It's main competitor seems to be the equivalent Kala model, which doesn't have the offset and personal sound holes, but is extremely handsome.

It sure does look great - I can see why your interest is pricked.

That's my problem, I'm always looking for something that little bit different. A uke has to appeal to me visually first, then and only then will I consider it. It's just plain bad luck on my behalf that what looks to be the bests uke store is at the most southerly point of my country. So I like to window shop on eBay, this will eventually get me into deep water !!!

Here's another review of the same model mentioned in another reply:

http://youtu.be/SKSIXOvtrdc

I have an ECUT-2V that I like the looks and sound of, both straight up and plugged in, but it doesn't really get the attention it deserves now that I've picked up a Pono, so I'm trying to find a new home for it. It's even got a custom-fitted Boulder Creek hard case, so it should survive the journey across the pond rather well....

I have a Riptide and it is an excellent player. It is a keeper.

I tried that same model at my local ukulele shop. It played well and sounded good and looked quite stunning. Build quality was good. I almost bought it, but reason prevailed (she was standing right next to me). I've been looking for Riptide's ever since.

All of the cited reviews are worth checking out, bearing in mind that each is one sample of a product. More common brands get more sampling, which is probably more accurate. Here's a super brief review by a UU forum member, jazzbanjorex, of the ECUT-2V. ( Electric Cutaway Uke Tenor - spruce (2) Vintage).

ALL of the videos I've referred to are of the OLD design. (note that deach's review was in 2009, as was the second one.) The company claimed to concentrate on improving the quality of their existing line a couple of years ago, & also changed the appearance a bit. (simpler headstock, replaced the Boulder Creek logo with RipTide, removed the belly logo & abalone around the side port)

The last one I got, about a week ago, needed no more set-up, & I have found no flaws (so far). It is the concert size on the far right. A Kala baritone is on the left for size reference, then spruce top bari, acacia tenor, then mahogany lam. tenor, then mahog. lam concert. I'll do a review one of these days.

grp angle.jpg

The ECUT-2V is a unique model in their line-up. No other sizes like it.

~Dick

Thanks everyone for all the help. It's certainly generated more interest than I anticipated among you all. My main question has been answered regarding the sound projection. I did think that the position of the ports would make for a somewhat subdued projection when compared to the conventional positioning. But then again, the actual player reaps the benefits of having their own personal port projecting the sound up directly at them! I suffer from tinnitus and as is my luck, it's in my right ear so I miss a lot of the tones and colours that these beautiful instruments produce while I'm playing. A point in its favour perhaps !
I currently own two Kalas at the moment and I'm very impressed with them when I consider what I paid. But then I've never played a K brand so I can't speak with too much experience. I was thinking of dropping a few hints nearer Christmas to see if my wife might get me a Kanilea K1, they really light my candles on a cosmetic basis ! I keep looking out for a used one but they are like hens teeth !
Thanks again for all your input, it has helped a lot, especially the reviews.

I have read that the side sound port design reduces acoustic feedback when using a pick up plus mic for vocals. I am unamped, but like hearing what I play softly. Many of the RipTides are hard to get right now, but that seems to be the case with many brands.

If you're really a serious player save your money for the K-1. It will light your fire in terms of sound also. I was playing mine around a great player who has a DaSilva James Hill tenor and he was complimenting me on the sound of my K-1. I bought my K-1 for about $900 five years ago and they go for over $1200 now. I wouldn't sell mine because it plays like butter and sounds like honey. Riptide makes a very nice uke as do Mainland and Kala and Ohana and others also but if you are really serious and want to do picking as well as strumming get a great uke. If you're just Joe Hootnanny or on a tight budget get something less pricey.

Thanks for the advice Kimosabe, since buying my first uke about a year ago, there have only been a handful of days that I haven't played. Some days I play from midday to midnight !!! So I guess that makes me serious. I was gonna start taking it to work and playing in my car on my break but ya need a break to refresh things eh ?
Maybe I will ask Corey to phone my wife and tell her I'm the " next big thing " in the uke world and order her to buy me a K1 !!!

My BFF plays a riptide tenor. She loves it. It sounds great with Aquilas on it. A friend of ours recently bought a Riptide with a spruce top and MOP inlay, a lot fancier model, and he's pretty happy with it.

It does look nice. I read many positive comments of the riptide, but not really familiar to this brand.

My BFF plays a riptide tenor. She loves it. It sounds great with Aquilas on it. A friend of ours recently bought a Riptide with a spruce top and MOP inlay, a lot fancier model, and he's pretty happy with it.

Your BFF must have the one on the right (very thin Mahogany laminate), which I couldn't resist when I when in to try out the one on the left, which has an acacia top. After waiting 6 weeks for them to arrive at the store, I guess I was a little anxious, but they both sang to me. The mahogany one is petite, as the picture shows. Big sound.

Two Tenors.jpg

Your BFF must have the one on the right (very thin Mahogany laminate), which I couldn't resist when I when in to try out the one on the left, which has an acacia top. After waiting 6 weeks for them to arrive at the store, I guess I was a little anxious, but they both sang to me. The mahogany one is petite, as the picture shows. Big sound.

View attachment 68741

Indeed she does....

Top Bottom