NUD, oscar schmidt ou220swk concert

chuck in ny

Reaction score
this and the 240 tenor are solid mahogany made in indonesia. i found this on ebay for $150. shipped. it wasn't labeled as a blem but i wasn't surprised to find a series of small cosmetic issues, small misalignment at the bottom sides joint, small specks on the black binding, a nearly imperceptible glue smudge that didn't get fully sanded out on the bottom side adjacent to the joint.
my pono MCD, at over 3x the price with the case, is the stunning piece of manufacture the schmidt can't afford to be, even, straight grain, beautiful front and back bookmatch, these are made by people who are drop dead serious about woodworking and it shows. the 220s front and back joints are well done but not nearly centered. the grain on the sides isn't parallel and not a match to the face and back. the neck is 'nato' or whatever mahogany substitute, and has a decided yellow tone.
i didn't expect nor pay for a beauty queen and none of the niggles bother me an iota. the intonation is fine and it plays without issues. it is the normal warm mahogany tone, enhanced by taking the stock aquila strings off and installing worth browns. i quickly put a martin m600 g string on and the uke wasn't any happier with the bright sound than with the aquilas. i will also try worth CMs in a small attempt for a bit crisper voice but am very happy with the browns, even with the strings finding their stretch and the instrument not having the time to open up the sound is resonant and more focused by the hour. the sustain is not astounding but hey i have just pulled it out of a box.
could wind up my take along and outdoor instrument or the reentrant concert.

Congratulations on the new uke! How does the neck compare with the Pono?

jenny
the neck is more slender and 'fast'. it is easy enough to adjust to but i prefer the heavier neck on the pono.

Here's what I like about Oscar Schmidt ukuleles. They are pretty consistently nice instruments. I don't really care about cosmetics on a 100 dollar ukulele.

Top Bottom