PDA

View Full Version : Hard Cases

Laouik
07-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Hullo.

I'm starting to look for a case for a new ukulele that's currently being built. I'm just looking to see what options I have. It's going to be a special instrument for me, so looking for something that'll take care of my new instrument. I'll share what I've done so far in the hopes that my conclusions can be challenged/corrected where appropriate. ANd hopefully hear of other options.

I was loking at the Crossrock (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/U800C3-BLUE.htm) ABS case, but have seen reviews on it being cheaply built with gaps here and there or clips that don't line up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEUxti7rEWQ).

I really like the TGI (http://www.theukestore.co.uk/hard-cases-for-ukuleles/tgi-tenor-ukulele-hard-case.html) case from what I've read/seen, but they seem to only sell in the UK (I'm in Canada).

I had a custom Ameritage (http://www.ameritagecases.com/details.php?sku=AME-S-102&cat=Silver_Series&line=Ukulele&pname=Tenor_Ukulele) case made for an unusually-sized guitar, and I'm a little disappointed in what I got for the money. It wasn't a custom shell, just a standard one with extra padding here and there to accommodate my guitar. There are also some stitching and gluing mishaps that are disappointing (and hoping to get something for less than $300).

I really like the Reunion Blues case (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zJVKcLAZuQ), but trying to find a store nearby that carries them. Their spec says they're 9.5" wide, the ukulele is 9.75" wide. Need to see just how snug it'd be. I've already had one bad experience with a case that was too narrow. I want a hard case but looked at the Mono gig bag as many seem to like it but... again, 9.5" wide. Hmph.

The Fremont (http://www.elderly.com/accessories/names/fremont-tenor-ukulele-tweed-hardshell-case--UTC-T.htm) tweed isn't even 9" wide from the specs so that's out. The Gator (http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16107-2096/gw-jm-uke-ten)'s lower bout is 222mm, my uke will be 250mm. Arrrgh.

And I don't want to drop $800 (http://www.carbonfibercases.com/ukelele.html) on a case at this point :\

Any and all ideas and thoughts welcome.

Doc_J
07-05-2014, 03:59 PM
I generally prefer the Oahu cases (http://www.theukulelesite.com/oahu-hardshell-ukulele-case.html). Great case for the money.

Dan Uke
07-05-2014, 04:36 PM
If you state the brand, then we can give better advice

Laouik
07-05-2014, 04:53 PM
It's a custom LFdM "petite bouche". Mine won't have the lower plate adornment, I opted for a standard bridge and different woods.

More useful will be the measurements 27" long, lower bout at 9.75".

stevepetergal
07-05-2014, 05:01 PM
If you're looking for a top quality case you should at least look at Cedar Creek Cases.

http://www.cedarcreekcases.com/

Laouik
07-05-2014, 05:15 PM
If you're looking for a top quality case you should at least look at Cedar Creek Cases.

http://www.cedarcreekcases.com/

Very similar to Ameritage. I researched them thoroughly when looking for a case for my guitar. The stock Ameritage one will fit the ukulele, but can't find info on stock Cedar Creek ukulele cases. Plus everywhere I look I see concerns about Cedar Creek (crazy delays, which is making me hesitant. And from what I've read it's about $550 for a custom case (plus shipping to Canada). The Ameritage silver series (I don't need the hygrometer and their humidifier module, so don't need the gold model) is about $300 and there's stock. Granted, Cedar Creek is made in the US and Ameritage in Costa Rica, but that's not a factor for me.

Jim Hanks
07-05-2014, 05:26 PM
What's the case in the picture? Have you asked the builder for a recommendation?

drjond56
07-05-2014, 05:26 PM
I don't have one for ukulele, but the Reunion Blues Continental is a superb case. I have one for classical guitar.

Laouik
07-05-2014, 05:28 PM
What's the case in the picture? Have you asked the builder for a recommendation?

I know the builder well. He currently doesn't have a "go-to" case so I'm seeing what options I can find. Plus, faux crocodile isn't quite what I'm looking for :p

Laouik
07-05-2014, 05:30 PM
I don't have one for ukulele, but the Reunion Blues Continental is a superb case. I have one for classical guitar.

As I mentioned in the original post, I need to find one to try it out. It's listed as 9.5" wide but the uke's lower bout is 9.75"... The two stores in Ontario listed on RB's website don't carry tenor uke ones. Hmph.

Dan Uke
07-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Haha...that's a Uke Crazy case and that's my uke. Oahu, RB, and the new Cross Creek Fiberglass cases work as well.

Laouik
07-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Haha...that's a Uke Crazy case and that's my uke. Oahu, RB, and the new Cross Creek Fiberglass cases work as well.

Haha nice. After seeing yours I ordered one with Milo back/sides, Englemann Spruce top and Leopard Wood rosette/bindings/headplate :D

So RB fits even though the uke is wider than RB says it can fit?

Dan Uke
07-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Barely closes but it works.

Laouik
07-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Barely closes but it works.

Hrm. I'm wary because I had a case that was "very tight" for my guitar and led to some scuffing over a few weeks. And I take my current LFdM on airplanes... people aren't gentle with the overhead compartment.

How's the uke, by the way?

Dan Uke
07-05-2014, 06:07 PM
I would travel with the Cross Rock as it's the lightest

Rick Turner
07-05-2014, 07:04 PM
I really like my Reunion Blues leather gig bag Model # 410-15-34. I think it gives as much day to day protection as a hardshell case, though I would not check it through in baggage on an airplane. As long at you don't hand it over to a baggage handler or sit on it, it's great and a lot less klunky than a hardshell. It's not cheap, though, listing for more than most folks pay for a uke. But it's a lifetime thing...it's the last case I'll ever need, and it should be good long after I'm gone.

consitter
07-05-2014, 07:23 PM
I really like my Reunion Blues leather gig bag Model # 410-15-34. I think it gives as much day to day protection as a hardshell case, though I would not check it through in baggage on an airplane. As long at you don't hand it over to a baggage handler or sit on it, it's great and a lot less klunky than a hardshell. It's not cheap, though, listing for more than most folks pay for a uke. But it's a lifetime thing...it's the last case I'll ever need, and it should be good long after I'm gone.

You ain't got that long left, do you?

guitharsis
07-06-2014, 01:23 AM
I generally prefer the Oahu cases (http://www.theukulelesite.com/oahu-hardshell-ukulele-case.html). Great case for the money.

I really like the Oahu cases too. They provide good protection, nice style and are not too heavy for travel.

KnowsPickin
07-06-2014, 01:52 AM
Every week Gordon at Mya Moe does a VLOG he calls "Unscripted" where he discusses various aspects of ukulele building. This week he discusses cases. It might give you some things to think about as you decide. The link is below:
http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/videos.php

The finally settled on a case they designed themselves. I wonder if he'd sell you one separately? Might be worth asking. But one thing to remember is that Mya Moe uke bodies are very slightly smaller in the body than some other manufacturers. So double check the measurements.

Good luck,
Bill

Laouik
07-06-2014, 05:04 AM
I really like the Oahu cases too. They provide good protection, nice style and are not too heavy for travel.

One more I need to try before I buy. The lower bout of the case is 9.5" and the uke is 9.75. Yes, should work, but still want to make sure :\

Ukulele Eddie
07-06-2014, 05:28 AM
[QUOTE=KnowsPickin;1548411]Every week Gordon at Mya Moe does a VLOG he calls "Unscripted" where he discusses various aspects of ukulele building. This week he discusses cases. It might give you some things to think about as you decide. The link is below:
http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/videos.php

/QUOTE]

I don't generally care for hard cases as they are overkill for most of my needs. I don't need to store my instruments in them because I live in a moderate climate and use a room humidifier for the free times it's a concern. So I only need a case for transport. I have an Access gig bag I use most often, but I enjoyed this video and it gave me some things to think about.

wickedwahine11
07-06-2014, 05:43 AM

Wow, I really like that bag. I have to admit, I am not good at thinking outside the box and never considered a mandolin case for my ukes. If I ever bought another case, that one looks like it would be the first on my list. Is it heavy? And how is the storage? My one complaint with my Kamoa case (which is otherwise very lightweight and has nice backpack straps) is that it has no storage capabilities.

hollisdwyer
07-06-2014, 06:09 AM
I have a Kamoa fibreglass case for my mike pereira tenor. A uke of that quality deserves a case that will take the knocks and ensure its safety. I'd have no compunction to put it in the overhead locker or even the hold on an airplane. It is also light and easy to carry. I'd only upgrade to carbon fibre if I were doing a lot of touring with a very expensive instrument.

wickedwahine11
07-06-2014, 06:14 AM
I have a Kamoa fibreglass case for my mike pereira tenor. A uke of that quality deserves a case that will take the knocks and ensure its safety. I'd have no compunction to put it in the overhead locker or even the hold on an airplane. It is also light and easy to carry. I'd only upgrade to carbon fibre if I were doing a lot of touring with a very expensive instrument.

Interesting...I have the same case and I agree, you can't beat its weight. It also is watertight (which came in handy once during a torrential downpour). I am not quite as confident as you though when it comes to the cargo hold. I actually have a small crack in the fiberglass (not sure how it got there) so I'd be nervous giving it over to baggage handlers. But yes, for the overhead locker it is quite sufficient. Though, as I stated in a previous post, as much as I like its weight and backpack straps, I do wish it had some storage capability.

Laouik
07-06-2014, 07:32 AM
I don't generally care for hard cases as they are overkill for most of my needs. I don't need to store my instruments in them because I live in a moderate climate and use a room humidifier for the free times it's a concern. So I only need a case for transport. I have an Access gig bag I use most often, but I enjoyed this video and it gave me some things to think about.

Where I live it goes from super dry to unbearably humid and I live in an apartment. For a number of reasons I use the case to moderate humidity. I also travel a lot for work, and when I'm away for more than a few days tend to take the uke. Sometimes it's driving, but more often flying.

Edit: I only take is as a carry-on.

Laouik
07-06-2014, 07:48 AM

Trying to find info on their internal dimensions. Can't find retailers who have them in stock.

hollisdwyer
07-06-2014, 10:14 AM
....Though, as I stated in a previous post, as much as I like its weight and backpack straps, I do wish it had some storage capability.
Totally agree that this is a PITA when it comes to these cases.
PS. I really don't know if I'd put it in the hold.

wickedwahine11
07-06-2014, 10:23 AM
This thread is coming in handy for me, as since I just sold one of my ukes I'm now down a case. I'm giving serious thought to that Reunion Blues one but will probably opt for a Crossrock fiberglass since I have some unused Amazon credit and they are available there.

Dan Uke
07-06-2014, 11:43 AM
This thread is coming in handy for me, as since I just sold one of my ukes I'm now down a case. I'm giving serious thought to that Reunion Blues one but will probably opt for a Crossrock fiberglass since I have some unused Amazon credit and they are available there.

The RB doesn't have a lot of space either. When I spoke with CR reps at NAMM, they said they redesigned the inside so that it can take larger ukes. The case fell out of the back of the car and the uke survived. The carbon fiber chips and scratch easily but not a big deal as long as it does it's job.

KnowsPickin
07-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Interesting...I have the same case and I agree, you can't beat its weight. It also is watertight (which came in handy once during a torrential downpour). I am not quite as confident as you though when it comes to the cargo hold. I actually have a small crack in the fiberglass (not sure how it got there) so I'd be nervous giving it over to baggage handlers. But yes, for the overhead locker it is quite sufficient. Though, as I stated in a previous post, as much as I like its weight and backpack straps, I do wish it had some storage capability.

Scottish musician Brian McNeill once referred to "Airline baggage handlers, and other lower forms of life...." 'Nuff said.

coolkayaker1
07-06-2014, 02:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U04_XIWzM94

Gordon tells us some things to consider in a ukulele hard case in his video today. :-)

stevepetergal
07-06-2014, 03:41 PM
This looks like excellent marketing on Mya-moe's part (of course). I wonder how many people on the Underground are going to call up and see if they can buy one.

hollisdwyer
07-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Trying to find info on their internal dimensions. Can't find retailers who have them in stock.

I measured the internal measurements of my Kamoa tenor FG case for you:
Total length: 715mm
Body max length: 345mm
Upper bout width: 184mm
Lower bout width: 242mm
Note that these are the max dimensions.

AndrewKuker
07-06-2014, 08:49 PM
The 1000 series fiberglass cross rock fits LFDM's body perfectly. The ABS 800 series is a touch smaller. The Oahu cases have a few size tenors at this point and one will fit perfect. The case factory actually burnt down and then they rebuilt the molds and then had to do it again. I can't tell you how many times these case companies have changed specs too. I had a worker list Kala case specs a while back and the next shipment was totally different. It's not a bad idea to get on the phone with a retailer that can check the current specs. Like the crossrock 1000 case from last year would not fit your custom. But the new sizing is perfect. I use them cause they are light and have the backpack straps but the overall quality is not that of a Calton. Of course you didn't want to spend $800…I don't think I could spend that on a case either.

mds725
07-06-2014, 11:00 PM
The 1000 series fiberglass cross rock fits LFDM's body perfectly. The ABS 800 series is a touch smaller. The Oahu cases have a few size tenors at this point and one will fit perfect. The case factory actually burnt down and then they rebuilt the molds and then had to do it again. I can't tell you how many times these case companies have changed specs too. I had a worker list Kala case specs a while back and the next shipment was totally different. It's not a bad idea to get on the phone with a retailer that can check the current specs. Like the crossrock 1000 case from last year would not fit your custom. But the new sizing is perfect. I use them cause they are light and have the backpack straps but the overall quality is not that of a Calton. Of course you didn't want to spend $800…I don't think I could spend that on a case either.

That's really helpful information! Thanks for sharing. Is there by some chance a Crossrock case that comfortably fits a Moore Bettah?

AndrewKuker
07-06-2014, 11:46 PM
I use a 1000 series for mine though it's not a snug fit all around, it's snug in the right places and when closed can't move inside the case. But Brad at Live Ukulele details how his MB didn't work in one with the cutaway and I could see that making all the difference. He also goes over some things I have talked with the company about. I would't be surprised if it's the same company that makes Kamoas case. Or I should say I would be surprised if it wasn't. They just fall short in the same areas. Ameritage fits MB's like a glove though Mark. Just needs a pull out handle and wheels and it will be my choice.

dkcrown
07-07-2014, 12:57 AM
That's really helpful information! Thanks for sharing. Is there by some chance a Crossrock case that comfortably fits a Moore Bettah?

Mark, Moore Bettah tenors fit in either the silver or gold series Ameritage cases like a glove.

billten
07-07-2014, 01:41 AM
He doesn't sell the cases separate (yes, i e-mailed Gordon :) )

This looks like excellent marketing on Mya-moe's part (of course). I wonder how many people on the Underground are going to call up and see if they can buy one.

wickedwahine11
07-07-2014, 02:53 AM
I use a 1000 series for mine though it's not a snug fit all around, it's snug in the right places and when closed can't move inside the case. But Brad at Live Ukulele details how his MB didn't work in one with the cutaway and I could see that making all the difference. He also goes over some things I have talked with the company about. I would't be surprised if it's the same company that makes Kamoas case. Or I should say I would be surprised if it wasn't. They just fall short in the same areas. Ameritage fits MB's like a glove though Mark. Just needs a pull out handle and wheels and it will be my choice.

Ditto. I really liked my Ameritage cases but they were so heavy! I do a lot of traveling, so I have Kamoa cases - and actually just ordered a Crossrock yesterday. Those Ameritage are wonderful though...very protective and I loved the storage and padding.

Dan Uke
07-07-2014, 04:56 AM
Since most of the questions are for MBU & LFDM, here are the pics of how they fit. For the new model cases, they also include a cushion to fit smaller tenors. The MBU is not small but looks small inside the case. However, the cushion keeps the uke snug and doesn't move around.

I also included a pic of the case after it fell out of the trunk of an SUV...there was no damage to the uke.

Laouik
07-07-2014, 06:00 AM
I measured the internal measurements of my Kamoa tenor FG case for you:
Total length: 715mm
Body max length: 345mm
Upper bout width: 184mm
Lower bout width: 242mm
Note that these are the max dimensions.

Thank you for that. I need about 250mm. Bah! Humbug.

Laouik
07-07-2014, 06:01 AM
I e-mailed Ameritage and here are the internal dimensions for their stock ukulele case:

- Upper bout width: 7-1/8
- Lower bout width: 9-1/4
- Depth: 2-7/8
- Total length: 27-3/4

Laouik
07-07-2014, 06:05 AM
Since most of the questions are for MBU & LFDM, here are the pics of how they fit. For the new model cases, they also include a cushion to fit smaller tenors. The MBU is not small but looks small inside the case. However, the cushion keeps the uke snug and doesn't move around.

Thank you kindly for that. That's the ABS or Fibreglass Crossrock case? Looks like I'll be going for the Crossrock at this point thanks to your input.

coolkayaker1
07-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Hullo.

I was loking at the Crossrock (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/U800C3-BLUE.htm) ABS case, but have seen reviews on it being cheaply built with gaps here and there or clips that don't line up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEUxti7rEWQ).

Any and all ideas and thoughts welcome.

That has been precisely my finding as an owner of the 2013 version of the Crossrock ABS case, soprano size, just like you link on the Elderly website (I got mine from Elderly, in fact, on sale for $75). Not recommended.

mds725
07-07-2014, 08:27 AM

I also included a pic of the case after it fell out of the trunk of an SUV...there was no damage to the uke.

Thanks for the photos. Is this a Crossrock case? If so, what modelname/number? I have a Kamoa case and have been looking for a replacement fiberglass case that's light and has backpack straps like the Kamoa case but has more room for storage (tuner, strap, spare strings) than the Kamoa case has.

Dan Uke
07-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the photos. Is this a Crossrock case? If so, what modelname/number? I have a Kamoa case and have been looking for a replacement fiberglass case that's light and has backpack straps like the Kamoa case but has more room for storage (tuner, strap, spare strings) than the Kamoa case has.

Here's a quick review. The storage can hold a snark tuner but not much more. I would personally get mine at Hawaii Music Supply since Andrew can tell you if it's the old model or the 2014 model. This is the fiberglass case and not the ABS case. http://www.theukulelesite.com/crossrock-1000-case.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9LM-nsMJ8U&feature=youtu.be

wickedwahine11
07-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Here's a quick review. The storage can hold a snark tuner but not much more. I would personally get mine at Hawaii Music Supply since Andrew can tell you if it's the old model or the 2014 model. This is the fiberglass case and not the ABS case. http://www.theukulelesite.com/crossrock-1000-case.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9LM-nsMJ8U&feature=youtu.be

Thank you for doing the review on the case, it was very informative. I bought one (in black) yesterday on Amazon through Fato Music -- I absolutely would have gone to HMS but had a bunch of Amazon credit. I really like that extra padding piece that you can put in for smaller tenor ukes, and even though the storage compartment is small, it is still better than nothing (which the Kamoa has).

I probably will still predominantly use my Kamoa case -- only because I really like its turquoise color -- but otherwise I think the Crossrock would be my main case to use when traveling. Thanks again for the review...

Laouik
07-07-2014, 01:10 PM
That has been precisely my finding as an owner of the 2013 version of the Crossrock ABS case, soprano size, just like you link on the Elderly website (I got mine from Elderly, in fact, on sale for $75). Not recommended.

Thank you for the feedback. Their fibreglass case seems more promising, but it's been taken off their website and few people have it in stock. Not a good sign for that one either :\

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-07-2014, 01:19 PM
I use a 1000 series for mine though it's not a snug fit all around, it's snug in the right places and when closed can't move inside the case. But Brad at Live Ukulele details how his MB didn't work in one with the cutaway and I could see that making all the difference.

I can't see how that could be the case (pun intended). I use identical molds for my standard shaped and cutaways. The only difference is that the cutaway has a bite taken out of the upper bout. I'll have to talk to Brad about this.
Good styling is great to have in a case but it shouldn't trump function. What I like most about the Oahu cases is their strength and durability. I can stand on my case with my uke inside, and know that it won't be harmed. With the exception of the Ameritage, I wouldn't try this with most of the other cases mentioned here. Then again, there are probably better places to stand anyway.

Dan Uke
07-07-2014, 01:51 PM
I can't see how that could be the case (pun intended). I use identical molds for my standard shaped and cutaways. The only difference is that the cutaway has a bite taken out of the upper bout. I'll have to talk to Brad about this.
Good styling is great to have in a case but it shouldn't trump function. What I like most about the Oahu cases is their strength and durability. I can stand on my case with my uke inside, and know that it won't be harmed. With the exception of the Ameritage, I wouldn't try this with most of the other cases mentioned here. Then again, there are probably better places to stand anyway.

For a short drive, I keep it in the Oahu case but when you travel with lots of luggage and kids, lightweight and a strap is paramount.

srpompon
07-07-2014, 02:04 PM

yeaaaaaahhhh

Laouik
08-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Random update:

I found out why the CrossRock cases are increasingly difficult to find. Here's their new ABS zippered case, with "password lock" or "TSA lock", available in the "coming months":