Hard Cases

Laouik

Reaction score
Hullo.

I'm starting to look for a case for a new ukulele that's currently being built. I'm just looking to see what options I have. It's going to be a special instrument for me, so looking for something that'll take care of my new instrument. I'll share what I've done so far in the hopes that my conclusions can be challenged/corrected where appropriate. ANd hopefully hear of other options.

I was loking at the Crossrock ABS case, but have seen reviews on it being cheaply built with gaps here and there or clips that don't line up.

I really like the TGI case from what I've read/seen, but they seem to only sell in the UK (I'm in Canada).

I had a custom Ameritage case made for an unusually-sized guitar, and I'm a little disappointed in what I got for the money. It wasn't a custom shell, just a standard one with extra padding here and there to accommodate my guitar. There are also some stitching and gluing mishaps that are disappointing (and hoping to get something for less than $300).

I really like the Reunion Blues case, but trying to find a store nearby that carries them. Their spec says they're 9.5" wide, the ukulele is 9.75" wide. Need to see just how snug it'd be. I've already had one bad experience with a case that was too narrow. I want a hard case but looked at the Mono gig bag as many seem to like it but... again, 9.5" wide. Hmph.

The Fremont tweed isn't even 9" wide from the specs so that's out. The Gator's lower bout is 222mm, my uke will be 250mm. Arrrgh.

And I don't want to drop $800 on a case at this point :\

Any and all ideas and thoughts welcome.

It's a custom LFdM "petite bouche". Mine won't have the lower plate adornment, I opted for a standard bridge and different woods.

IMG_1900.jpg

More useful will be the measurements 27" long, lower bout at 9.75".

Last edited:
If you're looking for a top quality case you should at least look at Cedar Creek Cases.

http://www.cedarcreekcases.com/

Very similar to Ameritage. I researched them thoroughly when looking for a case for my guitar. The stock Ameritage one will fit the ukulele, but can't find info on stock Cedar Creek ukulele cases. Plus everywhere I look I see concerns about Cedar Creek (crazy delays, which is making me hesitant. And from what I've read it's about $550 for a custom case (plus shipping to Canada). The Ameritage silver series (I don't need the hygrometer and their humidifier module, so don't need the gold model) is about $300 and there's stock. Granted, Cedar Creek is made in the US and Ameritage in Costa Rica, but that's not a factor for me.

What's the case in the picture? Have you asked the builder for a recommendation?

I don't have one for ukulele, but the Reunion Blues Continental is a superb case. I have one for classical guitar.

What's the case in the picture? Have you asked the builder for a recommendation?

I know the builder well. He currently doesn't have a "go-to" case so I'm seeing what options I can find. Plus, faux crocodile isn't quite what I'm looking for :p

I don't have one for ukulele, but the Reunion Blues Continental is a superb case. I have one for classical guitar.

As I mentioned in the original post, I need to find one to try it out. It's listed as 9.5" wide but the uke's lower bout is 9.75"... The two stores in Ontario listed on RB's website don't carry tenor uke ones. Hmph.

Haha...that's a Uke Crazy case and that's my uke. Oahu, RB, and the new Cross Creek Fiberglass cases work as well.

Haha...that's a Uke Crazy case and that's my uke. Oahu, RB, and the new Cross Creek Fiberglass cases work as well.

Haha nice. After seeing yours I ordered one with Milo back/sides, Englemann Spruce top and Leopard Wood rosette/bindings/headplate :D

So RB fits even though the uke is wider than RB says it can fit?

Barely closes but it works.

Hrm. I'm wary because I had a case that was "very tight" for my guitar and led to some scuffing over a few weeks. And I take my current LFdM on airplanes... people aren't gentle with the overhead compartment.

How's the uke, by the way?

I really like my Reunion Blues leather gig bag Model # 410-15-34. I think it gives as much day to day protection as a hardshell case, though I would not check it through in baggage on an airplane. As long at you don't hand it over to a baggage handler or sit on it, it's great and a lot less klunky than a hardshell. It's not cheap, though, listing for more than most folks pay for a uke. But it's a lifetime thing...it's the last case I'll ever need, and it should be good long after I'm gone.

I really like my Reunion Blues leather gig bag Model # 410-15-34. I think it gives as much day to day protection as a hardshell case, though I would not check it through in baggage on an airplane. As long at you don't hand it over to a baggage handler or sit on it, it's great and a lot less klunky than a hardshell. It's not cheap, though, listing for more than most folks pay for a uke. But it's a lifetime thing...it's the last case I'll ever need, and it should be good long after I'm gone.

You ain't got that long left, do you?

Every week Gordon at Mya Moe does a VLOG he calls "Unscripted" where he discusses various aspects of ukulele building. This week he discusses cases. It might give you some things to think about as you decide. The link is below:
http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/videos.php

The finally settled on a case they designed themselves. I wonder if he'd sell you one separately? Might be worth asking. But one thing to remember is that Mya Moe uke bodies are very slightly smaller in the body than some other manufacturers. So double check the measurements.

Good luck,
Bill

I really like the Oahu cases too. They provide good protection, nice style and are not too heavy for travel.

One more I need to try before I buy. The lower bout of the case is 9.5" and the uke is 9.75. Yes, should work, but still want to make sure :\

Top Bottom