Bending on Aquilas

Milla

Reaction score
So I just got my new Kala Flame Maple Sprucetop Tenor, and it came with Aquila Nyguts. I have noticed that they're pretty hard to bend notes on. My Hilo has martin strings and its a sinch to bend, are Nygut strings just harder to bend or do I just need to hit the weights. Thanks

~Nick

Aquilas are moderately high tension, so they are harder to bend than some other strings, but you can still bend them. Just work a little harder, and you'll be good. If you want to work on your finger strength, you can try a product called the Gripmaster. I have found it to be pretty good for hand training...for any instrument, and sports too.

www.gripmaster.com

Its not even so much the tension, Aquilas are just a stiffer string even when not under tension. They are not fully nylon or flourocarbon, and having had lots of experience with just about every string out there, it isn't your imagination. They sound great strummed, but most of the players I know, including myself, who enjoy fingerstyle prefer a thinner, softer string like a full nylon Ko'olau gold, Worths, or make Daddario J71s. Bending is possible on Aquilas, just not as easy. I actually think the matte surface of Aquilas sounds too scratchy for fingerstyle playing as well...it is easier to slide and get a smoother sound with something else.

I just got a set of Worths so i'm gonna try them out. I do like the sound of the aquilas though.

Its not even so much the tension, Aquilas are just a stiffer string even when not under tension. They are not fully nylon or flourocarbon, and having had lots of experience with just about every string out there, it isn't your imagination. They sound great strummed, but most of the players I know, including myself, who enjoy fingerstyle prefer a thinner, softer string like a full nylon Ko'olau gold, Worths, or make Daddario J71s. Bending is possible on Aquilas, just not as easy. I actually think the matte surface of Aquilas sounds too scratchy for fingerstyle playing as well...it is easier to slide and get a smoother sound with something else.

Yeah, now that I have had time to play on other brands of strings, I have lost a bit of my initial infatuation for the Aquilas. They do sound great, but I think that maybe Worths may just be better overall strings for my playing style...whatever that would be. (I just know what feels good.) But I have yet to experiment with the different types of worth strings, like their low tension ones, or their fat ones. So many options!!

I agree. Aquila's certainly are good at making an inferior instrument sound brighter and project more, but I much prefer strings such as Ko'olau that produce a softer, warmer tone. The scratchy noise when my nail picks an aquila string annoys me as well.

Top Bottom