Low G Friendly Soprano

Lillymo

Reaction score
Any recommendations for soprano ukuleles that sound good with low G?

i've read the arguments against it, so I'd rather not revisit that debate.

There's at least one manufacturer (Kamoa) that ships some of their soprano ukes with Low G. There are also Low G strings made specifically for soprano ukeleles, which is an indication that the elusive Low G friendly soprano exists!

Has anybody played a soprano Kamoa with Low G?

Does anybody have first hand experience with another soprano uke that has a tonal quality that works well with linear tuning?

Thanks!

I've found using a wound string works best. The un-wounds have been too floppy. I had a Kamoa for a while and it was fine for the $119.

I've found using a wound string works best. The un-wounds have been too floppy. I had a Kamoa for a while and it was fine for the $119.
I agree.

Had good sound from a Kamaka soprano in low G, using Alohi strings.

I have a low g on a Mahalo--a Martin Backpacker--a Lehua solid Acacia blackwood and several different models of the Eddy Finn line as well as a couple different soprano banjo ukuleles. It is ironic that so many think of reentrant as the "only "tuning for a soprano. If you want a great sound, put a wound low g as a low g and then do it again as a low A, by pulling the g up a complete note. It becomes a cuatro tuned soprano. I have lots of low g soprano singles from Aquila as well as red 5ths apart sets so it is strung violin/mandolin style. thecraftedcow@comcast.net

My Mahalo "pineapple" has a set of Aquila "reds" with the unwound low G. Basic physics would suggest that the slightly larger capacity of the pineapple-shaped body might give a better low-note response than a figure-eight-shaped body, but I've not done a side-by-side comparasion. Either way, they work well together :)

I just picked up a used Koloa KU-600 off of eBay. It sounded very thin and lifeless with the black strings that came on it (probably D'Addario). I went to my shoebox full of strings and pulled out a pack of Ko'olau Mahana. I didn't even notice they had a wound low G until I had the other 3 strings on. I must have ordered them wrong at some point. I just went with it. It sounds great now, though. What a difference! Full and rich sounding. I wouldn't have guessed the change would be so dramatic.

As long as the ukulele has metal frets, the wound G is not a problem. The sound is more "guitar mellow." I've left my Flea Soprano with the high-G - don't want to file out the nut to accommodate the much-wider unwound low-G. The Mele Soprano has the wound G and just love it.

Top Bottom