Is that a Harmony?

Nope. At least not one I've ever seen. The headstock isn't right, and I've not seen one with the inlay down the fingerboard like that. Same with the rosette. Also, the bridge isn't very Harmony-like.

Dan

Looks like a Harmony/Supertone to me, too. People say all kinds of wrong stuff.

Huh, well color me corrected. I've not seen a Harmony like that. I guess I always forget about the old Supertones.

Learn something new every day.

Dan

I have one that is similar, the bridge is different. Take a look at the label in the sound hole. It says "We guarantee this Supertone" It has the terms and at the end it says "Sears.Roebuck and Com..."

I was told it was from the late 20s and was made by Harmony for Sears.

Uke1.jpguke.jpgLabel1.jpg

I have it tuned to D and gig with it all the time as my Soprano when I want a punch bright 20s sound. I love the sound of it. It weighs almost nothing, lightest uke I own.

I have one that is similar, the bridge is different. Take a look at the label in the sound hole. It says "We guarantee this Supertone" It has the terms and at the end it says "Sears.Roebuck and Com..."

I was told it was from the late 20s and was made by Harmony for Sears.

View attachment 68642View attachment 68641View attachment 68640

I have it tuned to D and gig with it all the time as my Soprano when I want a punch bright 20s sound. I love the sound of it. It weighs almost nothing, lightest uke I own.

What a beauty! I got a mahogany supertone soprano and love to play it very much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-Rare-...prg=20131017132637&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=251581232265

Looks like a Harmony to me - how is the seller able to make the made in Hawaii claim?
Somehow correct family information most times gets lost in generations and the story gets changed...I do believe the person selling may have thought it
was hawaiian or misintrepted it as when someone said it was a hawaiian style ukulele.....these things happen in passing the story on not only in ukes...the story in the family gets fuzzy at one point
and everyone afterwards follow that off the path story line...

Very nice! I learn all kinds of cool stuff on this forum! So...as far as that restored one, to a serious collector, is the restored one more valuable than the playable, all original?

Very nice! I learn all kinds of cool stuff on this forum! So...as far as that restored one, to a serious collector, is the restored one more valuable than the playable, all original?

There's all kinds of 'serious collectors' - some want restored playable, others want survivors, others want relic condition. All that aside, whoever paid $257 for that one on the 'bay paid way too much.

Supertones (and their successor Silvertone) can be some really nice vintage ukes (I'm a bit of a geek for them...), but they generally don't command big prices. Why? Because Sears sold gazillions of them through their catalog back in the day. Which means there are a lot of them still out there. Makes them a great entry point for the budding vintage enthusiast!!

Hawaii, Illinois... Chicagolulu...Hawaigo....

What I wanna know is why is that Kamaka below it selling for only $225? What's wrong with it?

Top Bottom