Bob Dylan's Vintage Gibby on eBay

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
Last edited:
Offer

For anyone whose budget does not permit a Dylan uke, i own a circa 1911 Regal uke that my mother's great great cousin once-removed, Midge McGillicuddy, bought directly from President Howard Taft. I have no guaranteed proof that Taft owned it, but I do have a letter, dated 1915, from Midge's daughter stating that Midge was extremely honest.

I'm certain it was Taft's instrument: it's still, to this day, sort of grubby. The fretboard is sticky and there are divots on the first three frets. This is startlingly consistent with the historical facts that President Taft had a grip like an adult baboon, never progressed past basic first-position chording (hence, eventually selling the uke to Midge), and loved genuine bee's honey, a daily staple on his breakfast plate with Texas toast and a half dozen poached eggs.

Add to these facts that The White House ledger shows he took ukulele lessons every morning, at precisely 9AM, for six months, and it becomes a slam dunk that this was Taft's instrument. It has all the aged patina that one would expect of a vintage 1911 ukulele once owned by America's largest and most clumsy leader.

Now that I've verified it's authenticity beyond any doubt (which is more than I can say for Dylan's uke), I'll part with this beauty--since it's an off-eBay sale, I'll give the buyer the entire saved fee--for only $10k. To think of it, it's missing one wooden tuner, so I'll knock off a thou; that makes it a nice even $9k. And I'll throw in free shipping globally (for this one auction, yes, I'll even ship it to Antarctica).

Sorry, no case; Taft kept that to smuggle saltwater taffy out of The White House butlers' pantry at midnight.

6a00d8341c630a53ef01347fa8d207970c-600wi.jpg
Here's a photo of Taft purportedly handing over the ukulele to Midge (although from the look on his face, I'll admit: it appears more likely he's handing over his uke case full of confectionery contraband to Mrs. Taft)

Last edited:
Sounds like Your Nunes has a better provenance than Bob's Gibson. Hey , your uke just turned into a Regal. Now that's an interesting ukulele.

Is it the regal with the pre-1916 world fair wooden headstock?
If you want it to be, Bill, then it certainly is.:)

I'm working on the photos, Steve. I took a great set and then realized that I plum forgot the piece of paper with my UU name. Doh! Hope it doesn't sell before I get to re-shoot them. ;)

Last edited:
For anyone whose budget does not permit a Dylan uke, i own a circa 1911 Regal uke that my mother's great great cousin once-removed, Midge McGillicuddy, bought directly from President Howard Taft. I have no direct proof that Taft owned it, but I do have a letter, dated 1915, from Midge's daughter stating that Midge was extremely honest.

I'm certain it was Taft's instrument: it's still, to this day, sort of grubby. The fretboard is sticky and there are divots on the first three frets. This is startlingly consistent with the historical facts that President Taft had a grip like an adult baboon, never progressed past basic first-position chording (hence, eventually selling the uke to Midge), and loved genuine bee's honey, a daily staple on his breakfast plate with Texas toast and a half dozen poached eggs.

Add to these facts that The White House ledger shows he took ukulele lessons daily, at precisely 9AM, for six months, and it becomes a slam dunk that this was Taft's instrument. It has all the aged patina that one would expect of a vintage 1911 ukulele once owned by America's largest and most clumsy leader.

Now that I've verified it's authenticity beyond any doubt (which is more than I can say for Dylan's uke), I'll part with this beauty--since it's an off-eBay sale, I'll give the buyer the entire saved fee--for only $10k. To think of it, it's missing one wooden tuner, so I'll knock off a thou; that makes it a nice even $9k. And I'll throw in free shipping globally (for this one auction, yes, I'll even ship it to Antarctica).

Sorry, no case; Taft kept that to smuggle saltwater taffy out of The White House butlers' pantry at midnight.

View attachment 68649
Here's a photo of Taft purportedly handing over the ukulele to Midge (although from the look on his face, I'll admit: it appears more likely he's handing over his uke case full of confectionery contraband to Mrs. Taft)

Where is the sound sample?

Well, I mean, the person who they bought it from says its from Bob Dylan's studio.....
What a load of Horse pucky. Not signed, No documentation, No proof.

If Bob Dylan himself were selling it, it would be too rich for my blood.

When I was selling cars, I was showing a used Range Rover to a couple and told them that it had been traded in by Oprah Winfrey and that it should have a bit of extra value. They said the price should be lowered because the seat would probably break.

That's a thousand dollar uke, if that.

In that condition, with that much dirt and some damage to the bridge, my guess is that it would go for about 600. Vintage uke market is really down right now from what I see.

In that condition, with that much dirt and some damage to the bridge, my guess is that it would go for about 600. Vintage uke market is really down right now from what I see.
Yes, Ryan. Agreed. The entire uke market is down, based on UU Marketplace, for great new ukuleles, too.

Gibby? Seriously? Do people really use that term?

I thought the phenomenon was more limited to computer geeks, who like to refer to a Samsung product as "my Sammy" or a Westinghouse product as "my Westy".

It's pretentious to the max.

I thought the phenomenon was more limited to computer geeks, who like to refer to a Samsung product as "my Sammy" or a Westinghouse product as "my Westy".

Speaking as a computer geek, I would slap anyone silly who said 'my Sammy'. However Westy is acceptable when referring to a West Highland Terrier.

"You can call me Ray,...or you can call me Jay,...."
R

I don't think it sounds pretentious it almost sounds laid back.
When people use those kind of slang terms i just picture a surfer dude going 'yaaaa brah look at that gibby nice brah!" i dont know why just what i picture.

Anyway if they can't provide proof it was his than i would assume its a scam. I love bob dylan's music especially his first 4 acoustic albums. I never saw him with heard him play or even heard him mention ukulele. It's possible it could have been a gift from george harrison i know he gave paul mccartney a vintage gibson tenor which he played live on something in the way. So it is possible but the back story does not add up.

Time to post my vintage uke that Buzz Aldrin took with him to the moon, I think $35,000 should be a good price to start the bidding at. Comes with a 1 gram baggy of moon dirt. No case included.

Top Bottom