My take on a binding router setup

Gary Gill

Reaction score
I searched the 'net and saw various ways to cut channels for binding and this is my version. I used a guide from my old Rockwell router base and it works as long as I keep the body in the same relative position. I will probably invest in a bit and several bearings soon enough. I had some concerns about using full extension ball bearing slides but they move smoothly and there is no noticeable play. The brick and 'C' clamp balance the weight.

Attachments

• Binding Router -2.jpg
    Binding Router -2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Binding Router -1.jpg
    Binding Router -1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Binding Router -3.jpg
    Binding Router -3.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Binding Router -4.jpg
    Binding Router -4.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Attachments

• Binding Router -5.jpg
    Binding Router -5.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Binding Router -6.jpg
    Binding Router -6.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Binding Router -7.jpg
    Binding Router -7.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Very well done. Sometimes the quality of a tool, especially a home made one, is a clear indication of the quality of the instrument. Here is what I use.

Attachments

• binding.JPG
    binding.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 63
  • binding2.JPG
    binding2.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 60
Looks good Gary. I built a similar setup but use rubber bands as a counter weight. I intend to get springs for it some day, but never have since the rubber bands work well. I made my own adjustable guide but have since switched to a bit with bearings. I can't overstate what a big improvement it is over my guide.

Thanks for the kind words. The workmate as a temporary bench is low to see the cutting action. Next time I use it, I will raise it higher for a better view.

Top Bottom