I think I'm going down to just one uke

D

dhoenisch

Well, I think I've decided that I am going down to just one ukulele. I played a couple of different Martin ukes, and I am ready to sell all of my ukes (with the exception of my Outdoor Uke since I do use it for the reason it was built) to buy ONE Martin soprano.

I raised a question about selling all your ukes to get "The One," and I think I will actually do that. I originally posted that because it's what I was thinking I would do, and the input you all shared was quite valuable to me.

So, I think I will slowly be selling off all the ones in my signature, as well as ones that aren't on my signature to fund the "one" vintage Martin. Again, with the exception of the Outdoor Uke.

I'm a bit heartbroken about selling the Roy Smeck and Johnny Marvin (not the airplane one) as they both cost me quite a bit of money, and I had looked for those for some time, so they will be the last to go, especially the Roy Smeck as it's my most comfortable, best sounding, and loudest uke I have, so it's my most played.

Dan

Another reason I'm going to just one ukulele is, I realized that I'm a bluegrass musician, so it's more the banjo, mandolin and guitar for me. The only time I ever play a uke any longer is in the one uke lesson I give, and during the weekly uke meetup, and I don't even play much the entire time I'm there. I'm sorry to say, but I think I'm bored with the uke. I will never completely give it up as I do enjoy playing a uke from time to time, and there are times where it comes in handy, but I don't gig with the uke, so it's just an instrument for pleasure, and not a working instrument.

Dan

Sounds to me like you're making the right decision for all the right reasons. In "The One" discussion, I concluded that I'd be happy with three, but then I play only uke, and both low G and reentrant with equal frequency.

But it just makes sense to me across the board to have just ONE of just about anything, and in each case to have the best you can find/afford/etc. One good low G uke, one good reentrant uke, one good car, one good computer, and so on, rather than multiple examples of each that are "just okay."

Your other thread actually spurred me into narrowing down to three ukes, by selling two and donating another two. I still don't think I could ever have just one (I would always want a backup and at least one reentrant and one low g), but I applaud your single-minded ness.

For me, it is two ukuleles: one is high G and the other is low G. I got two "high end" ukuleles right from the start just because it worked out that way with trading guitars and pedals for ukuleles. If I had to pay for them as one normally does, I am sure I would have worked my way up to these over several years. However, I have since discovered that I would probably have been just as content with "lower-to-midrange" ukuleles, so I am not advocating going this route.

For me, it was a matter of doing a trade for a high G ukulele and then finding out that much of the style I want to play is done with low G ukulele tuning. Rather than having to switch strings on one ukulele, I decided a second ukulele would be better all around.

I see the term "UAS" around here a lot, just as I saw "GAS" in the guitar forums. I friend of mine who set up the deals for my ukuleles, who works in the music store where I got them, has a bit of experiential wisdom about that. He said that for him, shopping for new gear/instruments is almost mutually exclusive with playing them. In other words, if he is PLAYING the instrument(s) he already owns, he is much less interested in acquiring new instruments and associated gear.

Here is a thought (as much a reminder to me as a passing comment here): The more time I spend in the forums, the less time I spend playing, and therefore, the more time I spend thinking about new ukuleles, especially as that is much of the discussion in the forums. So, what do I really want to do with my time? It is quite clear to me that forums become quite the habit and it is here that people talk about UAS as they are getting still another ukulele. Some even ask about a "cure for UAS". How much of an issue would this be if, say, we visited the forum once a week for an hour reading only those posts about playing and associated issues, and spent the rest of our free time PLAYING the ukuleles we already have?

In my own experience thinking about what my friend said, I find the same to be true. I really don't need 10 or 20 ukuleles, and would MUCH rather have one or two very fine instruments rather than 10 or 20 cheaper instruments. It is the idea of spending it all on one thing or spending it a little at a time on a whole bunch of things. When I actually sit down and play my ukuleles, I feel as if I am making progress. When I peruse the forum, I read about new ukuleles and other stuff I can buy for them, but am not making progress (which is when the UAS urges start to gnaw at me, just as my friend said). Different people do it differently according to their needs and interests.

As for owning only one ukulele because that suits your needs, that seems a very sane and reasoned thing to do.

My own concern right now is that, being a long time guitar player, I am really coming to appreciate the apparent simplicity of the ukulele. It is easy to wrap one's head around the 4 strings and seemingly limited possibilities. However, I use the terms "apparent simplicity" and "seemingly limited" for a reason. As I wrap my head around these 4 strings, I am finding they are not limiting. The limitations are really an illusion, as is the general population's idea that the ukulele is a mere toy.

My "concern" is that I am spending my music time on the ukulele and ignoring my guitar. It will be interesting to see how that progresses and resolves over time. I seem to have opened a door to a world of very accessible music making - FAR more relaxed than climbing the mountain that is "guitar".

Tony

Last edited:
Your other thread actually spurred me into narrowing down to three ukes, by selling two and donating another two. I still don't think I could ever have just one (I would always want a backup and at least one reentrant and one low g), but I applaud your single-minded ness.

I am glad I read this before reading "The other thread" which spurred you into narrowing down. It just might have saved me from an ill fated attempt to be practical. This is a public warning announcement for those of us who want to preserve our state of UAS, don't read "The One" :stop:

All joking aside I do understand where you are going. I did the same with golf clubs but I am an avid player. Too many were just a distraction and worsened my play.

Well, I think I've decided that I am going down to just one ukulele. I played a couple of different Martin ukes, and I am ready to sell all of my ukes (with the exception of my Outdoor Uke since I do use it for the reason it was built) to buy ONE Martin soprano.

I raised a question about selling all your ukes to get "The One," and I think I will actually do that. I originally posted that because it's what I was thinking I would do, and the input you all shared was quite valuable to me.

So, I think I will slowly be selling off all the ones in my signature, as well as ones that aren't on my signature to fund the "one" vintage Martin. Again, with the exception of the Outdoor Uke.

I'm a bit heartbroken about selling the Roy Smeck and Johnny Marvin (not the airplane one) as they both cost me quite a bit of money, and I had looked for those for some time, so they will be the last to go, especially the Roy Smeck as it's my most comfortable, best sounding, and loudest uke I have, so it's my most played.

Dan

Sounds well-reasoned and I'm sure plenty of folks here will help you execute by snatching up those you're selling. If your Johnny Marvin is in good shape, now is a good time as I recently posted pics of one I acquired and it garnered a lot of interest. See, I'm here for you. ;-)

Good luck, Eddie

Too many were just a distraction and worsened my play.

I can agree with that view as well. I was kind of going there without saying it. My mom is up to 15-ukes, and when I take her to the meetup, she has the hardest time choosing which one to bring with her. If I had just one, it'd be a no-brainer for me. I would just grab "the uke" and off I go. :)

Leo, I actually have a Cordoba Guilele, but I'm selling it already. I get confused with what I'm playing. I know Southcoast now has "G" tuning strings, but I saw the price, and decided it wasn't worth trying, especially since I've made my decision on just one uke.

Thanks all for your views as well.
Dan

I think it is a good and healthy thing that you are being true to yourself and your vision. It is a journey for each and every one of us - and we all take a slightly different path.

I have a "the one" clarinet that I've played since 1988. I have a back-up or two, since teaching lessons is my financial contribution to the family, but I only play that one unless it is in the shop (once in 20 years) or need a clarinet outside.

I believe that there is one ukulele out there for me, but I would still have a back-up or two. My tenor never gets played, but my husband likes it, so it is his now. I have a little soprano that I love to fiddle with. Then my concert that I love. I would also like a Blackbird Clara with a low G and a passive pickup. I think that will do it for me.

Hey whatever floats yer boat. My plan was always to buy a lot of uke until I got a feel for what was good and what wasn't and what I needed and liked in a semi perfect uke. So I'm getting there and will also be selling off my stable at some point. I think I'll keep three. One, the Fluke for outdoor and camping use. One strung low and one strung high G.

I only have one, but I haven't been at it very long. Since April, so I haven't even learned how to play the one that I have all that well yet. That said, I've really got the hots for an electric acoustic uke and an amp, so we will see how long it is before I end up with two. Probably not for a while yet though.

If you're only going to have one then a vintage Martin is a great choice.

One very satisfying thing about my current collection is that whenever I play any of my four ukes I always feel like I could be happy if the one I'm playing was my only uke.

Another reason I'm going to just one ukulele is, I realized that I'm a bluegrass musician, so it's more the banjo, mandolin and guitar for me. The only time I ever play a uke any longer is in the one uke lesson I give, and during the weekly uke meetup, and I don't even play much the entire time I'm there. I'm sorry to say, but I think I'm bored with the uke. I will never completely give it up as I do enjoy playing a uke from time to time, and there are times where it comes in handy, but I don't gig with the uke, so it's just an instrument for pleasure, and not a working instrument.

Dan

Dan, I think that is so cool that you can play Bluegrass. I think it is the most difficult music there is to master, save maybe Classical music. I admire anyone that can play it well. I've tried and tried, and I just don't 'get it'. Or my hands don't...I was a disaster as a fiddler....got disgusted and gave it away, and it was a nice one too...
At first, I didn't understand "bored with the ukulele" (my favorite instrument) until I recalled how damn frustrated I got with the fiddle. I hope you never get rid of your last uke, though!

From what I have seen on occasion in these forums and most any forum I have read on any subject, it is always possible (and probable) that one person's comments can be read in ways very different from the spirit in which they were written. Since I know that some of the points I made in my last post in this thread could touch some sore spots, I wanted to try to make very clear the context in which I intended my comments to be understood. I hope the following takes care of that...

As a followup up to my earlier post, I do want to emphasize that, as far as I am concerned, everybody must do what makes them happy. I hope my comments were clear on that, but if not, hopefully this post will ward off any potential for argument. Also, when I say that I would rather have one "fine" instrument rather than 10 or 20 cheaper instruments, my point is based solely on the math rather than whether a cheaper instrument is a good ukulele. Ten $200 instruments or one $2,000 instrument is what I am talking about rather than whether a $200 instrument can be worth buying and playing. From what I have seen, such an instrument is perfectly fine. Another person may well want 10 $200 instruments, and my preference only applies to me.

Tony

Also, when I say that I would rather have one "fine" instrument rather than 10 or 20 cheaper instruments, my point is based solely on the math rather than whether a cheaper instrument is a good ukulele. Ten $200 instruments or one $2,000 instrument is what I am talking about rather than whether a $200 instrument can be worth buying and playing. From what I have seen, such an instrument is perfectly fine. Another person may well want 10 $200 instruments, and my preference only applies to me.

Well said, Tony, and that's the point I was trying to make in my post too - hoping my words don't touch anybody's sore spots either, as that is not my intention.

Do we really have so many tender sensibilities around here that we have to tiptoe with every opinion we have? I'm seriously a little concerned about all the posts I've seen lately addressing the issues of hurt feelings. I honestly have seen no more that a couple of posts that might be considered hostile around here and not one from you that I ever recall.

We're adults. We made it this far right? I think we can handle some differences of opinion without major meltdown. I vote relax and let it all hang out. :cheers:

Do we really have so many tender sensibilities around here that we have to tiptoe with every opinion we have? I'm seriously a little concerned about all the posts I've seen lately addressing the issues of hurt feelings. I honestly have seen no more that a couple of posts that might be considered hostile around here and not one from you that I ever recall.

We're adults. We made it this far right? I think we can handle some differences of opinion without major meltdown. I vote relax and let it all hang out. :cheers:

I agree, but then I've also had my share of incidents around here where I've hurt feelings without intending to. So considering things have been a little touchy around here as of lately, I'm just trying to cover my... tracks :)

Dan

Sounds like you have a plan. You need the right tool for a specific task. I can see more banjos, mandolins, and guitars as the right tools for bluegrass music.

OK, just 1 uke, but how many banjos, mandolins, and guitars are you going to need. :)

Top Bottom