KoAloha string help

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a soprano KoAloha and I cannot seem to find the right string combo with it. I have tried the worth clears and t2's. Did not like either in this uke. Too brash ( if that is a good description). What do you all suggest? This is driving me crazy. I have a concert sceptre I love (worth clears), but this one may hit the UU Marketplace if I cannot get the right strings on it. Thanks for the help!

I'd try light strings on it. Worth CL or BL.

Daft question, but have you tried KoAloha Golds?

Did you buy this new with the stock KoAloha strings on it. If so did you like the sound of those strings. Those strings are very close to Worth CL. If you are looking for a warmer sound there is always Worth Browns. Even Martin M600 are not quite as bright as Worth Clears. Maybe give Dirk a call at South Coast and see what he has to offer, a soft light I would guess.

I would try Living Water or Aquila Reds. I have had very good results with both strings on a variety of ukes. The T2's were a bit thick for my liking and bright on the few ukes on which I tried them. And I've had mixed results with Worth Clears. Of course, your ears may differ. Good luck and let us know what you determine.

Which Worth strings were you using? I find PhDs and Worth CMs too fat for that uke. I have Worth CLs on mine and think it is perfect. Southcoast Light Mediums or Living Water could be nice too but probably similar to the Worth CLs. I am surprised that it was sounding brash with Worths on it. For a soprano, I find that KoAloha with Worth CLs is almost the opposite of brash.

Last edited:
Oh ffs, yeah. I'm tired and my elbow has swelled to the size of a grapefruit from a spider bite, rendering my left arm virtually useless. My brain is following.

I like Martin m600s on my KoAlohas. They keep the crystal clear high end but also add a decent amount of depth.

me three...Martin M600's!

I used to have a KoAloha concert. I used Worth Clears. I loved them.
I think the very nature of a KoAloha is brightness. I have had the chance to play some Kamakas. They sounded "deeper" to me.
Maybe you like a deeper tone ukulele. Maybe KoAloha is too much?

Other people may totally disagree with me. But 11 string types does seem to be a lot not to like any of them. Have you tried Savarez?

The martin M600 sound like they are winning the race. Will give them a try first. Thanks for all the recommendations.

I've found m600s are my go-to for all soprano sized ukes. That said, my newly acquired koaloha soprano is very loud with the stock strings, noticeably "brashier" than my concert with worth CLs. I actually like it - it provides a nice alternative to my kamaka pineapple soprano, which is nice and mellow.

Me four.. Martin M600s on my KoAloha longneck soprano...made for each other.

I have a KoAloha Pineapple long neck and a KoAlana concert. Both sound so good to me with Worth CL. Worth Brown may take some of the brash out of your soprano. Worth Clear Medium were too heavy for them.

Martin M600 are my fallback strings for most of my ukes.

UPDATE!:
I just put on the M600's. Had never tried them before. Can I say love at first strum??! They sound wonderful. THey have saved this uke from the marketplace! Thank you all for the help! The education from you all was extremely useful, thank you all very much for the recommendations.

This from Joel at HMS when I asked what the stock strings were on my KoAloha:

"The stock strings that come on Koaloha's come from a fluorocarbon manufacturing company called Seguar, Koaloha gets large amounts of the fluorocarbon spools at the diameters needed for their different ukes. But for a customer the closest set would be the Worth CT set. Its the same material, fluorocarbon, and has the closest diameters I believe to the Seguar strings...if you like the Low G the set would be the CT-LG."

Hope that helps.

Like others here I'd also suggest Living Water or one of the light sets from South Coast.

Top Bottom