NUUD - Kala UBass

Cheeso

Reaction score
I scored on a used Kala UBass for $150 from Craigslist. What a wonderful little beast it is!

Do I play bass? NO! But it's stupidly easy to make great sounds and play notes on. I plugged it into an analog delay pedal and made freaky noises all night.

I love that little beauty, and I highly recommend getting one. For such a little bass it sounds so huge.

Congrats on a great score! UBasses are a blast.

At that price you can give it a try and not be out anything if you don't like it.

Yes, the decision to buy was definitely a no-brainer. I come from a guitar-playing background, and knowing the notes on the E and A string was really helpful.

And of course, playing Public Image and Joy Division songs was kind of easy and a real blast!

Which model is it? I've been eyeing the exotic mahogany laminate for $399, would be great to find one for $150.

The model number is KALA-UBASS-2-FS, which I understand to be a solid spruce top model. The top had some minor bear claw action which looked nice, just not much of it.

Last edited:
I just found this one online, KA-UBASS-2-FS/2TS Satin Sunburst Solid Spruce $480, it's discontinued but I really like the look.

Kala U-Bass burst.jpg

I just called U-Space where I take lessons and try to always buy my stuff, Brad suggested I look at the competition, Ohana, Kamoa, and also Gold Tone, which are a little bigger, 23" scale rather than 21". I ended up ordering a Gold Tone MicroBass (he gave me a great price), one big thing I like is the cutaway (I'm totally stuck on cutaways as my signature shows).

GT U-Bass.jpg

sweet deal! I would buy a U-Bass for $150, and I don't play bass either! I'd like a Hofner Beatle bass look a like model!

Very nice! congrats! Sometimes I wonder if I shoulda given away my Ubass....but yeah, he can play it and I can't....

Congratulations! For $150.00, you can say no, can you?

I recently bought a Hadean uBass knockoff for $120. It is definitely not a quality instrument, but it is also a complete blast to play. Man, for $30 to get a uBass - you lucky dog.

I mean, the string set is $60. But congrats. Maybe mine will come along some day . . .

Good score on your U-Bass. I bought my spruce-top, lam. mahogany in March 2012 for $365. It has required just shy of two years for the pahoehoe strings to settle in.

Not knowing how old your U-Bass is, you might also have been lucky in getting one where you won't have to tighten the strings. I must have done that 5 times before they held their tune.

But, after that minor gripe, I really, really enjoy my U-Bass.

I got one of the knockoffs, and I liked it so much, I got an SUB , sunburst. ebay for 350. the Kala solids are awesome, but heavy.

i'm just too cheap. for that 350usd or so you can score a very nice brand new high end squier. And you have a choice of several different very good short scale basses as well.

But I had to jump on one of those hadean omegas when they were offered. A kala for 150...yeah, great deal!

Last edited:
The solid UBass is a completely different animal from a short scale Squier. I've got an Ibanez Mikro, but never play it. The solid body UBass is my favorite. I like the type of strings and the really short scale.

I find the Ukulele bass to be quite interesting. If I'm not mistaken, I think that G. Ross uses one in the background for some of his Ukulele Videos. He does two tracks, one with the bass, a Kala.

To Gillian's point, please tell us more about those strings. They look like big fat floppy things. Let us know what you think of them as a new owner.

Speaking of big fat floppy things, my wife is calling me to get back in bed. (speaking about myself, not my wife. LOL.)

ps a cool video
http://vimeo.com/85186073

Last edited:
I've never played bass, and this instrument makes me want to pick it up and give it a go!

Being new to it, of course, it's an expensive proposition: instrument and amp. I've got a Vox guitar amp, but I understand it's a mistake to plug basses into guitar amps.

There are a lot of bluegrass jams that need bass players! And I think the U-bass look would fit in there a ton better than a Fender!

Top Bottom