Low G on D'addario J71s? Savarez on soprano...

UkuleleD

Reaction score
Hey UU,

I'm just getting into trying out different strings so help me out. Don't get me wrong, I'm completely happy with the default strings, I just like switching em up every once in a while.

I will be stringing 2 different ukes:
  • Pono PTS spruce top/mahogany 4 string tenor
  • KoAloha ksm-00 standard koa soprano(ordering from mgm today)
1) I really want to try the D'addario J71's on my Pono, but the problem is I want it to remain as my Low-G uke. Can someone shoot me a link on what kind of single string you recommend to replace the high g that comes with the J71 pack(D'Addario, Savarez, your choice..etc)?

2) I would also like to try out the Savarez classical guitar strings on my new KoAloha soprano(this will be my high g uke). Going by the reviews I think these strings would compliment this uke very well. However, I'm not sure which of the different variations of the Savarez classical strings to go with, or even if they come default high g/low g. If you could explain, link, or anything, I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Check out my link on the Savarez string review. PM me if you need more information. Aloha!

Nice, thanks for that. I'll pick up some singles of the Savarez:
541R .024
542R .027
543R .033
541J .025

as recommended for my koaloha unless someone says otherwise.

One question down, one to go, thanks poundr!

I'm using the J71's on one of my Tenor's and my Uke store guy gave me a wound classical string from his bulk string rack to make it Low G, never thought to ask him what brand it was.
Last week when I asked for a High g to replace the Low G he went to the D'Adarrio string catalog and found out what gauge string would match, so I guess you could just do the same to go to Low G.

I'm kinda on the Low G fence not sure if I like it or not....
But it does sound good.

Get with MGM - he should have both his Savarez and D'Addario dealerships already.

If you want the "matched" string for classical guitar, it'll be the J4604 Silver wound high tension. I recently discovered the J4804 Gold (80/20 bronze wound), which, to me, has a more transparent transition from wound to unwound. The 4604 has more punch to it, and may suit well with the Pono. Of course, if you want a softer string, go with the J4504 (or J4704 Gold). The Gold is also more mellow in tone, and not as "powerful" as Ledward described them to me. He plays slack key, so his bass string is played as a bass string.

Be careful with the Savarez (by the way, great video Laron!) - Laron is using them on his Tenor (as I do). Installing them on your Standard may bring up issues. You'll probably have to reslot the nut, for one.

-Aaron

Thanks Aaron,
Yes, the J4804 gold wound does have less of a punch or boom and transitions better in my opinion too. Good to see guys trying the low G.

Get with MGM - he should have both his Savarez and D'Addario dealerships already.

Thanks Aaron! I spoke with MGM earlier today when I put in the order for the koaloha standard. I didn't see anything on MGM's ebay page so I assumed he still didn't have the dealerships and didn't think to ask, it's ok there's a lot of great places to buy strings online.

If you want the "matched" string for classical guitar, it'll be the J4604 Silver wound high tension. I recently discovered the J4804 Gold (80/20 bronze wound), which, to me, has a more transparent transition from wound to unwound. The 4604 has more punch to it, and may suit well with the Pono. Of course, if you want a softer string, go with the J4504 (or J4704 Gold). The Gold is also more mellow in tone, and not as "powerful" as Ledward described them to me. He plays slack key, so his bass string is played as a bass string.

Perfect! The J4604 sounds fine, but I'm liking your comments about the J4804 gold's blending into the unwound strings. Think I'll just pick both of them up =P.

Be careful with the Savarez (by the way, great video Laron!) - Laron is using them on his Tenor (as I do). Installing them on your Standard may bring up issues. You'll probably have to reslot the nut, for one.
Really? I remember in one of the recent uke-got mail's Aldrine said he strung his soprano with them. I just assumed they were like any other strings. Can you go more in detail as I haven't had to change anything on my uke before besides switching out strings.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Really? I remember in one of the recent uke-got mail's Aldrine said he strung his soprano with them. I just assumed they were like any other strings. Can you go more in detail as I haven't had to change anything on

Most guys that I know that use Savarez and D'Addario (before they made the repackaged J71) use them on Tenors. The gauges are in the range of Tenors anyway.

I find D'Addario's are usually the thickest, and almost always require adjustment when I swap them in. I'm actually surprised that no one is running into problems swapping in the J71's.

Savarez sent me a few sets to test, because they want to market `ukulele strings. Unfortunately, for the Tenors, they didn't send the Alliance that Laron and I use. Whatever they sent, broke, and sucked. I suggested they stick with the Alliance as a base. As for the Concert/Standard set, I had MGM test them out and they had intonation problems. MGM met with them at the NAMM Show, and I haven't caught up with him on what was coming down the pipe.

Bottom line, you need to check the gauge as well. Personally, on my KoAloha Concert and Standard, I just put Worth on. Now that they come with Flourocarbon strings, I would probably keep that on, instead of swapping them out.

On the Pono? I haven't had any issues with the ones that I played with Ko`olau strung on them. John matches his strings to his instruments, as do most high end builders.

Just thought I'd add that in.

Hope this helps - Aaron

Most guys that I know that use Savarez and D'Addario (before they made the repackaged J71) use them on Tenors. The gauges are in the range of Tenors anyway.

I find D'Addario's are usually the thickest, and almost always require adjustment when I swap them in. I'm actually surprised that no one is running into problems swapping in the J71's.

Savarez sent me a few sets to test, because they want to market `ukulele strings. Unfortunately, for the Tenors, they didn't send the Alliance that Laron and I use. Whatever they sent, broke, and sucked. I suggested they stick with the Alliance as a base. As for the Concert/Standard set, I had MGM test them out and they had intonation problems. MGM met with them at the NAMM Show, and I haven't caught up with him on what was coming down the pipe.

Bottom line, you need to check the gauge as well. Personally, on my KoAloha Concert and Standard, I just put Worth on. Now that they come with Flourocarbon strings, I would probably keep that on, instead of swapping them out.

Nice appreciate the help. So KoAloha sopranos didn't always come with the KoAloha fluorocarbon strings? So in your opinion its not Worth(insert cheesy pun here) to switch the new fluorocarbon strings out for worths(rawuke was the one who shot me a message on youtube recommending those).

BTW: The only reason I brought up Savarez on soprano was because everyone was recommending them for their tenor/concerts, but then aldrine came on uke got mail and said he strung his martin soprano with them as well and gave it a brighter/crisper sound. Also believe I remember reading that Laron had strung up one of his soprano's with them
On the Pono? I haven't had any issues with the ones that I played with Ko`olau strung on them. John matches his strings to his instruments, as do most high end builders.
Yeah I understand that completely, like I said in the first post I have no problems with the stock strings, my ko'olau golds have been great, I just want to stock up on other sets while I still can and experiment with different strings, no harm done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom