PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome Stories!

YogenFruz
07-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Hi all!

Recently, I went on a spending spree and picked up four(!) more ukuleles in addition to the ones I already had! (Pictures coming soon) I have ranked them below from my favourite to not so favourite, and if you guys notice my sig, the collection is quickly growing... :(

1. KA-ASAC-T-C-SP/MM (Kala Solid Acacia Body, Spruce Top Marcy Marxer Tenor Gloss Cutaway with EQ)

2. KA-ATP-CT (Kala Acacia Tenor, Cedar Top Classic headstock)

3. KA-ASAC-S (Kala Solid Acacia Soprano)

4. KA-TG (Kala Mahogany Gloss Tenor)

With that being said, I want to know if anyone else had something snap inside of them and just go on a spending spree one day! I want to hear your UAS stories, maybe just to tell myself that my bank account isn't suffering alone :o

kohanmike
07-09-2014, 10:23 AM
After deliberating for a few weeks, I ordered two custom ukes from Vietnam, a mahogany mandolele ($290) and gypsy jazz style curly maple/Indian rosewood ($780), and now I'm getting a price on an all black tenor solid koa with pearl binding all around (about $350). I also traded in three of my lesser ukes for the Kala in my signature, I really like the sound and feel of the Kala.

http://www.fairfax67.com/images/Mandolele mahogany.jpg

http://www.fairfax67.com/images/Gypsy custom 72.jpg

DownUpDave
07-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Two weeks ago I went in to buy some Worth Clears, they were out of stock. So I left with a soprano.........a soprano, I don't even like sopranos. Guess what, I like sopranos now and am in the middle of talking with one of the vendors here for two more. One is a super soprano and one is a super cheapee for kicking around. I have been waffling but I think your post just pushed my over the edge to pull the trigger, Thanks.....I think.

jcarlos
07-09-2014, 05:52 PM
My UAS comes and goes, right now I'm doing good, just trying to get one commissioned, but I have an eye open for strange ukuleles,like cigar boxes or tin can ukes. I really want to get one of those. There was a resonator concert at Pohaku that I was about to order but the day my check came in, the uke was already gone :/. So yea my total is currently 11, 2 mandos are in that count but I tune them and play them as ukes so I consider them ukes :p.

YogenFruz
07-10-2014, 06:29 AM
Two weeks ago I went in to buy some Worth Clears, they were out of stock. So I left with a soprano.........a soprano, I don't even like sopranos. Guess what, I like sopranos now and am in the middle of talking with one of the vendors here for two more. One is a super soprano and one is a super cheapee for kicking around. I have been waffling but I think your post just pushed my over the edge to pull the trigger, Thanks.....I think.

How do you think I feel every time I walk into the local music store? :) :( :) :(

Icelander53
07-10-2014, 06:47 AM
My story is about flailing around willy nilly making mistakes, getting lucky, slowly learning, saying dumb things about my ukes when I get them that I don't agree with at all two weeks later, feeling proud, feeling stupid and never saying die. :D

I now own 7 and three of them are keepers.

Teek
07-10-2014, 07:39 AM
My story is about flailing around willy nilly making mistakes, getting lucky, slowly learning, saying dumb things about my ukes when I get them that I don't agree with at all two weeks later, feeling proud, feeling stupid and never saying die. :D

I now own 7 and three of them are keepers.

You are AWESOME! It's the journey, and we're supposed to learn along the way. :cool:

I got a bucket list uke, a Collings tenor and was lucky enough to get a 2M for the price of a 1M concert. Within 24 hours I let my other half mess with it and he accidentally smacked the top bout with a heavy ring, denting it and putting in a crack. :/ I didn't know it but heard the thunk, looked it over but without my glasses or a very bright light so missed it. Good thing I decided to keep it instead of sending it back to the dealer (before I did find it and was heartbroken), who would have said "HEY!". So that has cured me of the expensive uke bug, I hope forever. To have it dinged out of the gate and I didn't even do it, it made me think of earthquakes and car wrecks and house fires and the complete unfairness of life as a general rule and of course my own mortality. Perspective. The good side though is he paid me back for it, so then I bought a crunched vintage Martin Style 3M off Craigslist and had it repaired and it's a nice little player even though I'm not a soprano person. But it was a deal. ;)

VegasGeorge
08-09-2014, 07:34 AM
I was excited to see the UAS described as a recognized condition. I've been worried about myself, and feel so much better now that I have a name for it. I should have figured as much. I have 12 instruments, including a Yamaha Guitalele. And, I just ordered a Gretch resonator that hasn't arrived yet. It's like any other addiction. I keep telling myself that each one will be the last. But it never is. So many Ukuleles, so little time!

kohanmike
08-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Just to add to my story, I decided recently to learn bass after seeing the many bass ukes being released, I never wanted to deal with a large electric bass so these smaller ones I like. I decided to have a custom bass made by my guy, but while in a store getting bass lessons, I saw a Gold Tone MicroBase and decided to buy it too, just in case my other one has to be repaired or something, always have a spare, good UAS excuse, don't you think?

This is an image I put together that compares the Kala U-Bass, my custom and the Gold Tone I bought. The gig bag is also custom for my bass, and I'm having another made for the Gold Tone (it comes with a bag but I want more pouches).

http://www.fairfax67.com/images/U-Bass group2.jpg

Kyle23
08-09-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm very content on the uke I have right now and I haven't even thought of getting a new one and it's been about 8 months. But lemme tell ya, my first year was rough. I ordered a uke like 2 months after I got my first one and I used my sisters bank account on accident because we both have them linked to my paypal, and she got charged and an overdraft fee because ebay made a mistake with the payment method. It was just a mess.

surfaday
08-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Hi all,

I've got a good excuse. My daughter's fiance wanted a uke, so of course being the nice guy I am I gave him mine. Finding myself uke-less, I naturally had to go out and buy a much better one.

Rllink
08-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Well, I had one ukulele and I was getting along fine with it. Then I saw a ukulele that I really liked at a ukulele festival, but because I already had one I wasn't going to buy it. The lady who owned it was very nice, and even went down on the price, but I still didn't think that I needed two ukuleles. So in the end, the lady told me that she was going to just loan it to me for a while and was pretty insistent about it, so I relented and brought it home. My first thought was that I would put the loaner in the family room where it would be handy if I wanted to play the uke while I was watching TV. So I convinced myself that maybe it was a good idea. It just got confusing. Quite often I'm messing around with the loaner in the family room, and for some reason I will need to go upstairs, and I end up hauling the loaner up and leaving it in the living room, where my original ukulele is sitting. So then I have two ukuleles sitting up in my living room. Or the opposite will happen, and I will carry my ukulele down to the TV room for some reason, and both of them will end up down there. They just can not stay apart.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get the loaner back to the owner. I'm not in a real hurry, because it is a nice uke, but I don't really need it. So that is my UAS story.

Jim Hanks
08-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Now, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get the loaner back to the owner. I'm not in a real hurry, because it is a nice uke, but I don't really need it. So that is my UAS story.
Um, how long have you had this "loaner"? I would think the "owner" would be getting nervous by now. :rolleyes:

Rllink
08-09-2014, 02:35 PM
I've had it a while. I don't think she is worried about it at all, because when she gave it to me I asked her when she wanted it back and how I would get it to her, and she told me not to worry about it. She also said something to me, that I'm not going to share here, that made me think that she didn't care if she got it back or not. Just the same, it is borrowed and whether she is worried about it or not, she is a very sweet lady and I want to get it back to her before the summer is over. Eventually that will mean long road trip unless I can find someone headed that way.

coolkayaker1
08-09-2014, 02:35 PM
I bought a Kiwaya Master Koa Tenor, which I loved. I sold that instrument. I regretted it and cried.

I bought a KoOlau CE Tenor, which I loved. I sold...

Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat....x20.

Shorebird
08-09-2014, 02:36 PM
When ordering my first auks I changed the order three times,stepping up I price on each call. thenI saw a Martin C1Kbefore the first was delivered and bought that too,

Stevelele
08-11-2014, 04:20 AM
I have bought and sold so many ukes...so many great ones. I think in total I have owned probably 35-40 ukes total at one time or another. Currently, I have 9. I'm finally getting to the point where I really know what I like and know what I want, so I'm hoping some day to get my collection down to 5 or so. I still have my very first uke that I acquired. I traded a gibson les paul guitar for a martin 2m, which is still one of the best trades i've ever made, bc as it turned out, I didn't really like the guitar, but I love the uke

peanuts56
08-11-2014, 02:29 PM
The syndrome is very common with many different instruments. Not all however. I majored in music on trumpet and trumpeters also suffer the syndrome. At one point I had six horns. I don't really play much anymore and am down to two. I do have five ukes and plan on many,many more.
I read a story about a well known jazz trumpeter named Lou Soloff. Apparently he once brought 21 trumpets and flugelhorns with him on a plane as carry on while touring with Blood Sweat and Tears in the early 70's!!!!!! Would have loved to see the look on the flight attendant's faces.

Andy Chen
08-11-2014, 03:18 PM
I've no excuse and I hang my head in shame: one week after buying a Collings tenor, I saw a Mya-Moe going for a great price at the UU Marketplace and I took the plunge.

KnowsPickin
08-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Why couldn't I have picked a nice inexpensive hobby like cocaine!

DownUpDave
08-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Got a second story to add, oh they happen so quick and ninja like.I have a post asking about Loprinzi sopranos and another member mentions one at a great price and posts the link to it. Well that was the one I was looking at, so I freak out, thinking someone will buy it before me. I immediately click on the link and buy it. I was really only asking for opinions, now I can give one after it arrives.

peaceweaver3
08-13-2014, 10:29 AM
I have had 6 ukes (7 by the weekend probably) pass through my hands since March. So it will be 7 ukes in 5 months. The longest I kept one was about a month; most were 2 weeks or less. But the one coming, that is mine, and I'm keeping it. Do you hear me? I'm keeping this one. Thank you. :o I believe I've said enough and probably too much! My personal policy is one uke at a time. And once in these 5 months, I had 2. Do you see what happened? I couldn't handle it and came unglued. :D It's not about numbers for me though, except that one is all I can play at one time. It's about what truly fits the bill/works. Since I've realized that and found what does, #7 will stay.

That's just me. I respect collectors, but I'm not one.

ukulelekarcsi
08-13-2014, 10:51 PM
They just can not stay apart.

Because loaners are no loners?

JooKulele
08-14-2014, 03:37 AM
I ended up buying 4 ukes in a 3 week period this past spring. I decided I needed to buy a Magic Fluke while we were in Florida as I didn't trust any of my wooden ukes to survive the flight. Then one of our local music stores was closing one of their locations and had their ukes at 50% off. So I bought two that I had my eye on for a while. And then I was lucky enough to win an early build slot with Mya-Moe which was totally unplanned, but when opportunity knocks...

So once my Mya-Moe comes I will have 9 ukes. I run my club's monthly jam session, so I "justify" it by saying I need to supply loaner ukes! However, I think my UAS is sated for the time being as paying for the Mya-Moe put a bit of a strain on my marriage (my wife doesn't "get" the uke). So for now, no more uke buying for me. Uke receiving however, is still on the table ;)

Popster999
01-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Embarrassingly, I have 40+ ukuleles. I know, how many can you play at once? This does not include the 8 that I've gifted. I "accidentally" purchased a Polk-A-Lay-Lee yesterday, which will be the fourth 60's surf ukulele. About half of the collection are custom made. I also have a company that has sent me a couple for free to do reviews on. This doesn't include a Violin Uke, Ukelin, or Tremoloa which some try to classify as ukes, but really aren't. There's even a Lanikai baritone that I've converted into a UBass. In all, the ukes range in age from 1927 to 2014. (I think I need a new one made in 2015!) HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! Yep, also have a green screen wall for recording.

philpot
01-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Embarrassingly, I have 40+ ukuleles. I know, how many can you play at once? This does not include the 8 that I've gifted. I "accidentally" purchased a Polk-A-Lay-Lee yesterday, which will be the fourth 60's surf ukulele. About half of the collection are custom made. I also have a company that has sent me a couple for free to do reviews on. This doesn't include a Violin Uke, Ukelin, or Tremoloa which some try to classify as ukes, but really aren't. There's even a Lanikai baritone that I've converted into a UBass. In all, the ukes range in age from 1927 to 2014. (I think I need a new one made in 2015!) HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! Yep, also have a green screen wall for recording.
The real question is... which is your favorite? ;)

OregonJim
01-08-2015, 05:42 PM
No UAS here, but I have been experimenting with strings. I have one tenor, my wife has a concert. That's plenty for me. The only thing I might add at some point is a soprano, but it has to be a vintage '50s or '60s model like the one my grandmother let me play when I was little. I think it was a Silvertone.

Guitars, bass, harmonicas, tin whistles, mandolins, violins... those are a different story, but lack of space keeps future acquisions in check. :)

Popster999
01-08-2015, 05:58 PM
I have several favorites, which compounds my problem. I'd have the say, in this order, Kamaka HF-3, Kanile'a K1-TP (less than a month old), Pono PT-6E, Pono PT-8 would be my favorites. However, several of the custom ukes are ornate with inlays, so the ones that have good sound are great for presentation. As you know, strings really make a big difference. The Kamaka has Living Water strings (from Ken Middleton, UK), trying out Fremont Blacks on the Kanile'a, and have Aquila Nylguts on the Ponos. Love all three types of strings, but rate Living Water brightest and loudest, Fremont and Aquila are both bright strings and seem easy to play, but not as loud as Living Water. However, I also have several strung with Worth browns, which I also rate right up there with the others. With so many ukes, I also perform my own set-up, so have fret files, nut files, bone blanks for making replacement nuts and bridges. Recently used a large chunk of bone when I modified the Lanikai baritone into a UBass. Those rubber bass strings are huge!

philpot
01-08-2015, 06:13 PM
I have several favorites, which compounds my problem. I'd have the say, in this order, Kamaka HF-3, Kanile'a K1-TP (less than a month old), Pono PT-6E, Pono PT-8 would be my favorites. However, several of the custom ukes are ornate with inlays, so the ones that have good sound are great for presentation. As you know, strings really make a big difference. The Kamaka has Living Water strings (from Ken Middleton, UK), trying out Fremont Blacks on the Kanile'a, and have Aquila Nylguts on the Ponos. Love all three types of strings, but rate Living Water brightest and loudest, Fremont and Aquila are both bright strings and seem easy to play, but not as loud as Living Water. However, I also have several strung with Worth browns, which I also rate right up there with the others. With so many ukes, I also perform my own set-up, so have fret files, nut files, bone blanks for making replacement nuts and bridges. Recently used a large chunk of bone when I modified the Lanikai baritone into a UBass. Those rubber bass strings are huge!
I keep meaning to order some Living Water strings to try them out. You've convinced me :) I'll see if they can replace my fremont blacklines as my favorite.

Lalz
01-08-2015, 06:32 PM
I must say, I've been a good girl lately. Didn't purchase any new uke in neither 2013 or 2014. Well apart from a small cheap one I needed for a work thing - which I did get to keep afterwards - but still it wasn't actually a purchase I made for myself so it doesn't count. And the two other new ukes I got during those two years had been purchased earlier but took a while to arrive (totally worth the wait). So yeah, well done me!

I guess having to live on a tight budget helps keep my UAS at bay haha, can't afford to go too crazy. So does being really happy with all my ukes tbh. I don't drool on new ukes as much as I used to, because well I like mine best. They're ace. And I have all the different sounds and tunings I like to play with.

But the other day I was doing my tax return and paying my bills, and by the end of it I realised I had also ordered a Countryman U-Bass with some pocket money I suddenly didn't need to spend on something else haha. I was like "what just happened??" lol Lucky they're so cheap!
I think my subconscious remembered that I did need something to make bassy sounds with for work and somehow it ended up being a ukulele (bass) instead of a sound synthesis software, which any normal non-ukey person would have gone for to do that specific thing I need it for. My brain works in mysterious ways ;)

But from now on it's NO MORE NEW UKES UNTIL NOVEMBER 2018! Then I might (emphasis on might) treat myself with either a Martin C1K or a KoAloha Pikake Concert. AND THAT WILL BE IT!

Self-control... self-control...

kohanmike
01-08-2015, 08:22 PM
I'm counting on the fact that my converted bookshelf to humid controlled display case that only fits 8 ukes, and a cabinet for my basses which only fits 4, to curtail my UAS. So far it's working, I haven't bought a new instrument in over 2 months, and since I started playing 18 months ago, I've bought something about once a month (5 of which I've traded in, gifted or sold).

drbekken
01-08-2015, 11:31 PM
Why couldn't I have picked a nice inexpensive hobby like cocaine!

Cocaine 'hobby'. That's a new one.

DownUpDave
01-08-2015, 11:51 PM
I have money just sitting in my paypal account................this is fuel for the UAS fire. " Hey son is that money burning a hole in your pocket". "Why yes sir it certainly is" :p

dirtiestkidever
01-09-2015, 06:01 AM
I bought a Kiwaya Master Koa Tenor, which I loved. I sold that instrument. I regretted it and cried.

I bought a KoOlau CE Tenor, which I loved. I sold...

Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat....x20.

This sounds very familiar.

chenx2
01-09-2015, 07:13 AM
Well I have learnt playing ukulele for half a year with a Kala solid top travel concert. It sounds nice and punchy, but it's quite hard to play on higher frets. It makes me want a nice all solid tenor with very good intonation even up to 15+ frets.

But things happened and I don't have budget for another uke yet. SO I am doing video-shopping to ease my UAS. Cocobolo ukuleles, APC Acacia Blackwood, Gretsch 9120SM Deluxe (what? they stop making these?), Plastic Fluke, Martin T1K, Pono MTD, Koaloha Opio..... you name it.

hendulele
01-09-2015, 07:43 AM
I was doing just fine with six, though I had dropped some hints to my better half -- lapsed guitar player -- that some day I would love to have either a pineapple or a banjolele (birthday coming up in a few weeks). And I truly lusted after a Vita replica. Even so, I was fine with what I had. Then the day after Christmas, on a lark, we went to one of the big box stores to see if they had any deals. They didn't, but they did a have a Yamaha Guilele on display, and her eyes lit up. I then found a slightly used Cordoba Guilele on eBay from an overstock reseller for a great price and bought it for her. Then I noticed on UU that mattydee was selling an Ohana Vita for a very reasonable price, and for a little more than the suggested street price of a new Cordoba, we wound up with both that and the Vita! Now I may have to thin the herd, what with the birthday ...

randelpink
01-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Fun thread! I have my own story which will not earn me many fans here but I like to share it just show how reckless my spending can be.

I moved to Maui when I was 25 and lived there for about a year. Being a guitarist for roughly 15 years, I brought along with me two acoustics. I quickly realized the trend (fittingly so) was ukes. I strummed a few and liked the concept, but was broke the whole time I lived there.

After moving back to the mainland, I got a great job as a banker and quickly got back on my feet financially speaking. I wanted to pick up an all koa uke (koa being native to Hawaii) for nolstagic purposes mainly. I've always been a Gibson guitar player but read that Martin made incredible ukes back in the day. Further reading lead me to believe the 5k is that best koa soprano ever made by Martin, or maybe any other luthier for that matter.

The search now turned to getting a Martin 5K. With vintage ones in the $10K range, I tried to dismiss the UAS. I then learned that Martin re-issued the 5k within the last few years, and they were a bargin! Well, compared to vintage mainly. Elderly instruments had some brand new ones, but they also came up with a used re-issued from 2007. I took a gigantic leap of faith and purchased the 2007 5K without even playing the dam thing.... Not the smartest purchase I ever made. So not only was this my FIRST uke purchase, I was not a very talented or knowledgable uker, and I had never purchased a Martin product before!

I have since thought about selling the uke, but have purchased additional ukes instead. Everytime I think about selling the 5K, I open the extremely tough and durable case and see the beauty of the flamed koa and my thoughts start to become cloudy. I pick it up and strum a few chords, and my thoughts dissapate completely. I've read a lot of mixed reviews regarding these new issues, and all I can say is that I got a GREAT one! It has opened up alot since I've owned it, and some trial and error with strings. But after two years, my first uke is still my favorite!

Sorry if this was a derail, just wanted to share my ridiculous story. This may be my first post too :D Actually it's my 3rd! May become more active here, love this site!

bonesigh
01-09-2015, 10:53 AM
I must be really sick. I don't even know how many I own. They are everywhere!! Even have a toy uke collection. My angel on the Christmas tree had to be holding a uke! Hmm, just in the one room I'm sitting in, I'm looking around, let's see.........14, that I can see from here, wait, there are 2 more behind the computer screen on the desk. Almost forgot those. There's a few in the living room. A couple upstairs. A few in cases in what I call "the fish" room. Quite a few in the basement as they are being repaired. One in the chinchilla's room so I can "play" while I let her run free.

I ran over 2 ukulele's this summer on my way to a festival so I had to get one at the festival of course. Actually hurt to sell that one recently! At least I'll get to see her as I sold it to a student of mine (:

OH, yeah, I made a ukulele I call a "Hamalele" out of an old ham box. Intonation is great on it but it's a bit wonky to play (super thick neck). Need to fix that!

Just bought a Wishnevsky tenor guitar, sounds sweet and Hawaiian-ee (: Tons of other instruments too as I've caught the "making music" bug. Now the hubby has caught DUS and needs drums! Not like band drums but bongo's and djembe and you name it.

I'm sick, very sick! And it's spreading!

bonesoup
01-09-2015, 11:57 AM
The search now turned to getting a Martin 5K. With vintage ones in the $10K range, I tried to dismiss the UAS. I then learned that Martin re-issued the 5k within the last few years, and they were a bargin! Well, compared to vintage mainly. Elderly instruments had some brand new ones, but they also came up with a used re-issued from 2007. I took a gigantic leap of faith and purchased the 2007 5K without even playing the dam thing.... Not the smartest purchase I ever made. So not only was this my FIRST uke purchase, I was not a very talented or knowledgable uker, and I had never purchased a Martin product before!

If you're buying your first instrument, you might as well splurge, and if you're going to splurge, you might as well go the way! It's funny and cool that a 5k would mark the end of some people's UAS, but for you it was the beginning.

I must be really sick. I don't even know how many I own. They are everywhere!! Even have a toy uke collection. My angel on the Christmas tree had to be holding a uke! Hmm, just in the one room I'm sitting in, I'm looking around, let's see.........14, that I can see from here, wait, there are 2 more behind the computer screen on the desk. Almost forgot those. There's a few in the living room. A couple upstairs. A few in cases in what I call "the fish" room. Quite a few in the basement as they are being repaired. One in the chinchilla's room so I can "play" while I let her run free.

Bonesigh I think you live in my Barbie dreamhouse! With tons of ukes in every room.

bonesigh
01-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Hmm, now there's an idea, a Barbie house with all my toy ukes on the wall! LOL (:

Tigeralum2001
01-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Almost all of us have stories. Here is my advice- buy the best uke you can afford. It will save you money in the long run as you don't end up with a bunch of low-end ukes that cumulatively cost more that a REALLY nice high-end uke.

I'm not sure UAS us curable, but it does go in to remission. I would like to sell a few ukes. I have a couple on order, but I would like to end the year with a net-negative in the number of ukes around my house... anyone interested in a mint KoAloha Sceptre? ;)

Inksplosive AL
01-09-2015, 09:58 PM
OH, yeah, I made a ukulele I call a "Hamalele" out of an old ham box. Intonation is great on it but it's a bit wonky to play (super thick neck). Need to fix that!

How can you mention such a thing without a picture?

OregonJim
01-09-2015, 10:05 PM

What did you expect? One must be ham-fisted to play a hamalele! :)

Rakelele
01-10-2015, 02:00 AM
Last year I was supposed to get a Uke as a present for a colleague who retired, so I ordered one. From all the looking around, I discovered a nice Tenor for myself. Along with that order, I figured I might as well give that new Islander Guitalele a try. Only to discover the very next day that Pono has come out with a brand new Pineapple shaped Tenor. So within three days, I ended up ordering four ukes. Imagine the look on the mailman's face... :eek:

bonesigh
01-10-2015, 07:55 AM
Whoops, sorry (: Here's a link to a demo of it...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFr0Sj80nwE

Brenda Wong
01-13-2015, 05:04 PM
After deliberating for a few weeks, I ordered two custom ukes from Vietnam, a mahogany mandolele ($290) and gypsy jazz style curly maple/Indian rosewood ($780), and now I'm getting a price on an all black tenor solid koa with pearl binding all around (about $350). I also traded in three of my lesser ukes for the Kala in my signature, I really like the sound and feel of the Kala.

http://www.fairfax67.com/images/Mandolele mahogany.jpg

http://www.fairfax67.com/images/Gypsy custom 72.jpg

How do you order directly from Vietnam?
I am curious!

Inksplosive AL
01-13-2015, 06:43 PM
You start at his eBay store and read this. "WE ACCEPT CUSTOM ORDER : Musical instruments & Parts Let me know what you'd like and we'll make it work. Don't hesitate to contact us via email : bruceweiguitar@yahoo.com.tw"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFr0Sj80nwE

Rock on! Little can sounds dham... good on video.

I'm fighting UAS currently by posting more.