Another band saw question

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
I know I have come across threads discussing band saws, but now that I want one, I can't seem to find them! I hope you will forgive me bringing the subject up again. My question is simply this: If the thickest material I am likely to cut is for neck blanks, or say 2 1/2" thick hard woods, what is the smallest band saw I'd need? I know that the usual answer is to buy the best you can afford, but right now I can't afford too much and since I won't ever be doing things like re sawing, I don't want to buy something beyond my needs. I've been scouring Craigslist and most of the larger (14") are either old or expensive. 10" models offered by Craftsman and others are within my budget, but would they do the job? Help me make a wise decision here!

Cheers,

Bob

I got a cheap ass 14 Porter Cable from Lowe's. Love it, for what it is. I was looking for a used 12 or 14 Delta, but those prices matched the PC. I burned my 10, which worked for a while, or so I thought. 2 1/2" will be too thick for a 10.

Look for an old, used 12 or 14 Delta or Rockwell. Sometimes, upgrading guides on an old saw is better than new.

I see the Craftsman 12" 1/2 hp models on CL every once in a while for less than $150. A friend gave me his when he got a new one and I do alot on it. I have resawed with it using a 1/2" 3tpi blade and just as long as I go slow and use a fence I can make it work. If your just cutting 2 1/2 blanks than you should be fine with even a 10 inch just as long as the teeth are clearing the material and the set up is proper. Im sure there is more to it than what Im posting, good luck

Last edited:
Searching through ebay I saw this if you can afford the shipping. I'd love this little thing :) This is the sort of thing you want... find one locally; they will be lurking in the corner of someone's shop
in your neighbourhood.

Last edited:
I see the Craftsman 12" 1/2 hp models on CL every once in a while for less than $150. A friend gave me his when he got a new one and I do alot on it. I have resawed with it using a 1/2" 3tpi blade and just as long as I go slow and use a fence I can make it work. If your just cutting 2 1/2 blanks than you should be fine with even a 10 inch just as long as the teeth are clearing the material and the set up is proper. Im sure there is more to it than what Im posting, good luck

http://redding.craigslist.org/tls/4501157983.html
a good drive from San Jose but this is like the one I use, nothing great but you will see these all the time they are very common

Every now nd then I see a 14" Delta for sale in the $200 region. Often, they need a bit of work, like rust removal and new bearings in addition to a motor and possibly a stand. The more work you are willing to do, the lower your cash outlay. The Ridgid version of the 14" is a decent working saw. You will get the most of of the tool through proper setup and blade choice.

If you have the inclination, you can make your own all wood 16" saw with plans from Woodgears. http://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/homemade.html
There is also a company Called Gilliom that sells plans and finished castings to make both a 12" and a 18" along with a drivetrain adapater to cut metal.

Just some thoughts
Good Hunting.

Edit:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/4556249005.html

search both bandsaw and band saw

Just saw this. If I was closer I'd be all over it.
If you are up to it, I think this would be a great user.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/4554273868.html

Here is a thread on a similar saw.
http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142520&hilit=wallace+band+saw#url

and some images of others as found and refinished.
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex

Last edited:
I used a 10" Craftsman for a long time and it was fine for the little stuff like you want to do but if you can find a saw like Pete gave you a link to that would be the bomb. If you do get a 10" I guarantee you will upgrade sooner or later.

Perhaps but if he buys a used one in decent condition he can always resell it sometime later. It's pretty unlikely he will lose much. I once bought a used lathe and a little bandsaw for £30 each. Used them for a couple of years and sold them for what I paid.
Can't complain about that!

I believe you best bang for the buck would be a used 14 inch saw. I have a couple of 14 inch deltas and they work quite well for all aspects of instrument making other than serious resawing. Used bandsaws can be a really good value and I would much rather have a used 14 inch saw than a new smaller saw. I don't know of any carbide blades that can be run on a smaller saw. I don't know where you live but if you have a decent craigslist near you get an alert app for your phone or set up an alert on the web so the moment a bandsaw comes on you get a notification and jump on a good deal first. I have gotten decent 14" deltas for as low as $75 that needed cleaning up.

Thanks so much for the effort you have put in to assist me in my quest. I was hoping to find something in reasonable condition for under $100 but I can see now that it's not likely. Those that I have seen on Craigslist are either too old, too expensive or too far away! I don't mind doing minor repairs and general cleanup, but I'd rather be building ukes than do a major rebuild on a band saw, intriguing as it appears to be! I'll be patient and prepared to pay more than originally intended until a 12" or 14"machine shows up.
Thanks again, you guys are great!

Cheers,

Bob

This is an intriguing thread.I've had a 14" bandsaw with riser for decades, but I find myself looking at the little bandsaws at Lowe's and thinking how handy it would be for the little stuff. BTW, I've found that keeping any small saw in tune is a PITA. For a couple years now I've done all my resawing on a 10" table saw, and on thicker stock just cutting the remaining web of wood on the bandsaw. Its not efficient as far as gleaning the most yield, but its fast and saves me a lot of frustration. Resawing uke wood this way is a piece of cake.

This is an intriguing thread.I've had a 14" bandsaw with riser for decades, but I find myself looking at the little bandsaws at Lowe's and thinking how handy it would be for the little stuff. BTW, I've found that keeping any small saw in tune is a PITA. For a couple years now I've done all my resawing on a 10" table saw, and on thicker stock just cutting the remaining web of wood on the bandsaw. Its not efficient as far as gleaning the most yield, but its fast and saves me a lot of frustration. Resawing uke wood this way is a piece of cake.
Bought one of those, it sat around for a year or two and I moved it on. Just not much use for it if you already have a larger saw. In practice, I just used the bigger saw and never bothered using the small one.

To the OP, don't purchase anything smaller than a 12". I have the 12" Delta that I purchased several years ago and I love it. It's also small enough so I can easily move it around by myself. I've also modified it with a 3" riser as I occasionally re-saw 9" lumber with it.
3035-1532991582010.jpg

Don't get that one. Get a used Delta 14". Seriously, they can be found cheaply, just be patient. All you need to refurbish one and tune it up is available from Iturra Designs. I have a Rockwell 14" from the 60's that I got for $140, put a 2HP sealed Baldor motor in it, bought some new tires from Iturra for it and it is better than a new one. You don't want that Craftsman piece of crap.

Just to be different I will say that for what you want to do you can go smaller than a 14".

If you can find one somewhere, I would recommend something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/708901-JWBS-1...orking-115-Volt/dp/B00002265N/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Jet and a few other companies used to make really solid cast iron framed 12" bandsaws - I have one myself - just don't have room for anything bigger.

With the right blade, and well tuned you will be surprised what they can do. I regularly slice through 8" Mahogany for backs and sides and it only has a 1/2 HP motor (but a good motor - they aren't all the same even though they claim to have the same power) - here is a pic of some sliced mahogany:

Mahogany Sets.jpg

Giles.

I started off with a 10" then I started resawing side pieces successfuly...so then I had a desire to resaw the backs and fronts as well but couldn't get the 8" height ....So I upgraded to a 14" and now somtimes I wish i'd gone for a 16" instead.

Last edited:
Yes, it's easy to go bigger and bigger. If you are lucky you might end up with a bandsaw bigger than your house!
There are plenty of those 14" old Deltas in the US. They always seem to get a fair press. Ukuleles aren't big instruments, so such a bandsaw will easily cope.
Don't forget you will need dust extraction as well.

The 10" Rikon is a great small band saw. Can sometimes find it for $200. The Craftsman 10" is the exact same unit and can be had for $169 on sale. Resaw height is 4.5" which is limiting, but if you're not planning to resaw... Check out a good review/overview video of the saw on Highland Woodworkings website. I had two of these for a while, got one of them in perfect shape on Craigslist for $100 even.

+++ on the dust extraction comment

I'm tempted to buy a 10" saw, simply because of price and physical size, but, like so many are wisely saying, I feel I should go bigger. Nonetheless, I'm sure that I won't be cutting anything larger than ukulele necks, so I guess I'll keep looking for a used 12" or 14" for a while, then out of frustration, run out and buy a new 10"!
Thanks so much for all your suggestions, I have learned so much here about uke building and playing, I hope that I can be of help in the future.

Cheers,

Bob

Top Bottom