question for a friend about a baritone guitarele?

iamesperambient

Reaction score
My friend is in the market for a baritone guitarele especially the islander one. She wants to tune it like a guitar EADGBE. Being this is baritone scale i wouldn't see this being impossible. can anyone offer any insight on this?

Yes theoretically it can be tuned like a standard guitar. The strings would be a bit sloppy, especially the two lower strings. The makers of the Islander say that it is OK. The big question is why. If she knows she wants it tuned like a guitar, a short scale classical guitar would be a better choice.

Yes theoretically it can be tuned like a standard guitar. The strings would be a bit sloppy, especially the two lower strings. The makers of the Islander say that it is OK. The big question is why. If she knows she wants it tuned like a guitar, a short scale classical guitar would be a better choice.

because she has physical pain from playing larger instruments and prefers this smaller size and likes ukes better
and needs something in standard guitar tuning to teach playing guitar.
and also owning this gives option to tune it ADGCEA later on if she so desires.

Last edited:
I've got one sat in a case behind me. I'll detune it and let you know how it sounds.

Ok, first impressions with the stock strings tuned down to E:

Remarkably deep, warm and resonant sound. However, the issue isn't with the strings being sloppy, and flapping around. The problem is that, with the vastly lower tension, it's like playing a guitar with a scalloped fingerboard. For someone like me that doesn't have a particularly light touch (37 years of playing electric and steel string acoustic), the tiniest extra amount of extra pressure, over and above what is needed to fret the string, raises the pitch of the note about half a semitone. It sounds like someone fitted the frets using guesswork and a stick of chalk.

You'd need a set of strings specifically designed for a short scale guitar to be playable. Even with a light touch, it's so difficult to play with just the right amount of pressure that the notes alternate between perfect, painfully sharp or just not fretted at all.

I'm going to persevere though.

Ok, first impressions with the stock strings tuned down to E:

Remarkably deep, warm and resonant sound. However, the issue isn't with the strings being sloppy, and flapping around. The problem is that, with the vastly lower tension, it's like playing a guitar with a scalloped fingerboard. For someone like me that doesn't have a particularly light touch (37 years of playing electric and steel string acoustic), the tiniest extra amount of extra pressure, over and above what is needed to fret the string, raises the pitch of the note about half a semitone. It sounds like someone fitted the frets using guesswork and a stick of chalk.

You'd need a set of strings specifically designed for a short scale guitar to be playable. Even with a light touch, it's so difficult to play with just the right amount of pressure that the notes alternate between perfect, painfully sharp or just not fretted at all.

I'm going to persevere though.

I heard la bella makes a set that would be good for this.
I think with the right strings this seems like it would be very possible.
thanks for the info!

i think she really wants something that looks like a uke than can also go back to the standard guitele tuning too
im not 100 % sure if the south coast is what she wants being its reentrant version of that tuning.

Yeah, I was just saying that a half size classical guitar and the GL6 share the same scale length, so half size classical strings should be suitable.

The Islander Guilele is a great little instrument, very playable, good sound & value for money. I followed recent threads here prior to purchase and settled on one from HMS. "The Big Kahuna" ( highly valued UU member) provided all the important details I needed to make the right choice and I am very happy. I have detuned to G#D#G#C#D#G# (DADGAD intervals on guitar) and G#D#G#CD#G# (Open D intervals on guitar) and it seems to work just fine.
Please note, HMS do a proper setup on all the instruments they sell so you know that they'll play well straight out of the box.

The Islander Guilele is a great little instrument, very playable, good sound & value for money. I followed recent threads here prior to purchase and settled on one from HMS. "The Big Kahuna" ( highly valued UU member) provided all the important details I needed to make the right choice and I am very happy. I have detuned to G#D#G#C#D#G# (DADGAD intervals on guitar) and G#D#G#CD#G# (Open D intervals on guitar) and it seems to work just fine.
Please note, HMS do a proper setup on all the instruments they sell so you know that they'll play well straight out of the box.

thanks for the tip i think you all provided good information thanks!

Top Bottom