low g `ukulele

Reaction score
San Jose, California via `Ewa Beach, O`ahu, Hawai`
aloha kakou,
what do you look for in choosing an `ukulele to be your low g `ukulele? I've been thinking of picking up a kanilea k1 C or koaloha kcm, so wondering since both going be probably strung high G at the store, which do you think would be better as a fingerstyle and or low g `ukulele.

mahalos.

for fingerstyle, i would usually look for wider string spacing. might want to pay attention to the width of the neck. sometimes you can get away with cutting a new nut and saddle to widen out the string spacing without risking the string curling around the fretboard. or ask at the factory if they can cut you a wider nut and a saddle with notches to widen them out.

as far as attributes better for low g tuning, not much i can say other than try it and see if you like it.

Using a Low G or High G string is strictly by your taste. Like Nukedoc said, try it out. You may like the sound with the low G. As for me, all of my ukes except a concert I keep by my computer is all strung with Low G. IMO, it gives your uke a more meatier sound with a Low G.

Top Bottom