Nail Polish on a Makala Shark--Can it be done, and any suggestions on design?

Bookworm

Reaction score
My new Makala Shark (in Mako blue color) came today! I was thinking of adding some sort of decoration. Something simple. Can I use nail polish? Will it affect the tone or react badly with the paint that's already there?
If I do paint it, I'm not sure what I should paint on. Maybe some kind of rosette, or a Bible verse, or maybe even something from Sherlock, Harry Potter, Once Upon a Time, or The Hunger Games. Any ideas?

P.S.
If you suggest anything from Once Upon a Time, I just started season 2... no spoilers, please! ;)

I'm not sure nail polish would be the best medium to add some zing. I'm interested to see what others (who have painted and embellished) have to say on what is best to use and how to use it.

My new Makala Shark (in Mako blue color) came today! I was thinking of adding some sort of decoration. Something simple. Can I use nail polish? Will it affect the tone or react badly with the paint that's already there?
If I do paint it, I'm not sure what I should paint on. Maybe some kind of rosette, or a Bible verse, or maybe even something from Sherlock, Harry Potter, Once Upon a Time, or The Hunger Games. Any ideas?

P.S.
If you suggest anything from Once Upon a Time, I just started season 2... no spoilers, please! ;)

How about a quote from "Jaws"? "We need a bigger boat."

P.S.

I wish i remembered the site but there is a site that sells decals (prob not what your looking for though)
that you can add to the frets, body and sound hole and head stock to give your uke a little 'flare'.

Slightly off topic...but I used nail polish, a glitter turquoise-y kind of thing (Sinful Colors: Palm Breeze 1407) to make the little marker points on my Mainlands at the at the 5, 7, 10 and 12 positions on the upside of the neck. Guess they weren't there by design since they're not cool or something, but I like them.
Being an old feller, I don't often shop for nail polish, but I was awestruck by the color/glitter/etc. options offered at a local Walmart. Shazam!
I'd say run wild with nail polish or sharpies or house paint or whatever turns your screw and is at hand. Ukuleles are for playing and enjoying, not tip-toeing around (unless there are tulips involved).
And post a photo!

I always use window cling paint (you can get it at amazon) you can peel it right off. I've had some staining occur on some woods but now put a cover of clear over the back of the cling after it has dried and that seems to prevent it. I wouldn't put it on any really expensive ukes but I've got it on a lanikai Bari and a kala and a solid body eleuke. Best thing is...they peel right off and then stick right on again (just don't let them stick to themselves, you can never get them apart!).

Slightly off topic...but I used nail polish, a glitter turquoise-y kind of thing (Sinful Colors: Palm Breeze 1407) to make the little marker points on my Mainlands at the at the 5, 7, 10 and 12 positions on the upside of the neck. Guess they weren't there by design since they're not cool or something, but I like them.
Being an old feller, I don't often shop for nail polish, but I was awestruck by the color/glitter/etc. options offered at a local Walmart. Shazam!
I'd say run wild with nail polish or sharpies or house paint or whatever turns your screw and is at hand. Ukuleles are for playing and enjoying, not tip-toeing around (unless there are tulips involved).
And post a photo!

Totally off topic, but I'm addicted to sinful colors nail polish. It is cheap. It stays on my fingers for more than a day. It stays on my toes for a long time. Love that stuff! I think I have the color you are talking about.

Sigh...Palm Breezy 1407 is gooooooood...

Totally off topic, but I'm addicted to sinful colors nail polish. It is cheap. It stays on my fingers for more than a day. It stays on my toes for a long time. Love that stuff! I think I have the color you are talking about.

I wish i remembered the site but there is a site that sells decals (prob not what your looking for though)
that you can add to the frets, body and sound hole and head stock to give your uke a little 'flare'.
Is this the place you're thinking of?

http://www.inlaystickers.com/

They also sell on ebay, but I ordered directly from their site in Japan with free shipping to the US and it was a really smooth transaction.

I got some of these stickers to add a little dazzle to my Shark...
http://www.inlaystickers.com/servlet/the-Ukulele/Categories

shark1.jpgshark2.jpg

full frontal...
shark22.jpg

I got the Shark from Uke Republic and it plays and sounds pretty good for what it is. It came with Aquila Super Nylguts that sound great on this uke...they have a nice look and feel too. I recommend the Shark or Dolphin for anyone who wants something durable and/or for a starter uke. Be careful ordering online though, I've played a few Dolphins that played and sounded krappy.

Last edited:
I have a blue Mahalo that I'd like to maybe jazz up a bit - see what I can do. I see some fun little stickers on Ebay that might be worth a try.

IMG_0937.jpgIMG_0934.jpg A uke I painted. Just use acrylics. Artist grade if you can (Blick, liquitex, or golden). Sand the body with a 120 and 220 paper first and seal with a varnish after it dries (I haven't got around to that yet)

Top Bottom