Favourite Sophistications

Laouik

Reaction score
I'm curious. What are people's favourite added details, features, functions? Sound port? Arm Rests? Certain exotic wood? What's something you didn't think was worthwhile until you experienced it and now want it on all your ukes?

Pre-amp and gloss finish.

Slotted headstock, sound port, Gotoh UPTs (if not slotted headstock), UST pickup.

Last edited:
Sound port is definitely one of those things you don't get until you have one, and then you totally get it. I couldn't understand why UPTs would be better than Pegheds until I got some UPTs. Now I'm all about UPTs.

I couldn't understand why UPTs would be better than Pegheds until I got some UPTs. Now I'm all about UPTs.

And that makes two of us! When I got my first uke with Pegheds, it didn't blow me away enough to want to replace the friction tuners on my others ukes. UPTs on the other hand - I still haven't done it, but I looked into pricing to have my luthier swap out my friction tuners for UPTs, and I'm pretty sure I'll do it if I ever have a pocket full of spare change again. They're that good!

ETA: I was so caught up in dreaming of swapping out my friction tuners that I neglected to mention my OTHER "favourite sophisication" - the 14-fret join! There are arguments for and against it that go way over my head; all I know is that as a fingerstyle player who uses all of those frets way up the neck, I think it's brilliant.

Last edited:
Surely you don't mean Gotoh UPTs on a slotted peghead! Go with Rubners for that.
I don't think Hodge meant they all had to be on the same uke. Have you seen his stable?!?

Personally, I don't "get" the slotted headstock on a uke, but I can go with the other three.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful wood.

And, I don't have a custom ukulele, but all the photos y'all post - the woods being used - it is amazing.

+1 beautiful, beautiful wood and a high gloss finish to show it off. I've also gravitated towards unusual body shapes such as my LFdM ukaferri cut-away, Boat Paddle ML-Style, and Ukiyo Vita.

The Compass Rose mini-jumbo is also very attractive to me because of its unique shape.

Last edited:
Radiused fretboard. I heard a lot of talk about them being irrelevant on ukes so they really didn't make it on my radar. Then I got to play a PONO with one and found barre chords a total pleasure where they had usually been an ongoing struggle. I mean it was not a subtle difference. So then I bought my own PONO with it with the same results. It's really nice to play on in general. I can't honestly say though I wouldn't own a uke without one. My Gretsch plays almost as easily for barring chords and over all it plays easier than any uke I've ever come across. You'll likely have to pry that guy out of my hands after I'm dead. But all my other ukes are a pain to barre.

And to be honest I'd really have to play on other radiused fretboards to know with any certainty that it's the radius part that makes the difference in barring but I'm fairly sure because I have played a PONO without the radiused fretboard and barring chords was hard for me.

Personally, I don't "get" the slotted headstock on a uke, but I can go with the other three.

hahaha...and this is coming from someone who doesn't own all traditional shaped ukes!!

For me, high gloss nitro finish, UPT tuners if not slotted and side sound port.

Last edited:
What are people's favourite added details, features, functions?
Strap pin and strap ... absolutely no argument ;)

Compliments and approval from other UU members :)

hahaha...and this is coming from someone who doesn't own all traditional shaped ukes!!
Interesting observation. It's true I like unconventional features - 19" baritone, longneck soprano, pineapple tenor, 16" concert (don't have that one yet), side port. I think that's why I don't really care for slotted headstock - it just screams "conventional guitar shape". Oh well, no accounting for taste, eh? :p

Top Bottom