Custom Ukes from luthiers on UU

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
For those in the market for a custom uke, does the luthier's interaction on UU one of the main factors in choosing that person?

Just curious.

Last edited:
For those in the market for a custom uke, does the luthier's interaction on UU make you want to buy a uke from them?

There are lots of luthiers out there so I was wondering if the luthier's interaction one of the main factors for choosing that person.

Just curious.

Yes. Absolutely.

Luthiers who post and offer intelligent, cogent, and knowlegeable remarks in public forums, along with a philosophy of how they view building? I find that a big point in their favor. I have commissioned two ukes from builders because something they said here sparked my interest. (One was from a luthier who had made me a guitar.) I did my due diligence, then contacted them and was able to arrange builds. I like to think they came to realize that even though I was a newbie and not a good player, I did have the wherewithal to appreciate their art and craft enough to give their musical children a good home. Might not play them well, but certainly with enthusiasm and heart.

I have been immensely lucky in this: I have three ukuleles that are superb, and a fourth in the works that I can already see will also be outstanding in every way.

Can't beat that with a stick ...

For those in the market for a custom uke, does the luthier's interaction on UU one of the main factors in choosing that person?
For me, I have to say it was not a main factor in the choice, but it certainly affects my confidence in the build. I have commissioned 3 ukes (only one of which is complete) and 2 of them are from non-UU luthiers. I regard(ed) those builds as somewhat of a gamble. The third is active on UU and well respected - I have total confidence in that one.

I have one from a local non-UU luthier but he is well-known, often mentioned on this forum and I had seen his work in person. Another was an unknown luthier so it was a crap-shoot but I had seen pix of his work and knew of his musical background and took a gamble, but wasn't willing to pay as much for his uke as I was for a better known luthier. This one is pretty, unique and plays very well(a bari), but the build is not nearly as perfect as the first uke I mention. I also have a non-custom from the same (first) luthier and while it is a relatively plain jane model, it too is a very well constructed and finished uke that plays very well and sounds lovely. For my next uke, I will very likely use a UU luthier when I get a new bari. I'll make the one I have my new beater. I feel confidence and a connection with several of the luthiers who post here. I appreciate all the insight they give to the UU community.

Nope. If active participation on an instrument interest forum was a yes/no filter on choosing a luthier, then a large majority of builders would not be in the running. While I tend to appreciate seeing builders contribute to interest group forums, I certainly would not refuse to consider an instrument from one who does not participate in discussions.

Yes, definitely for me. Not so much "are they participating" as much as the fact that you can tell a lot about a person how they post over time (not sales related) and how they respond to others. So some luthiers make me think "I would feel comfortable working with that person" or "Not with a ten-foot pole."

And having chosen that way, I can say I am having a total blast with my current build.:smileybounce:

When I was deciding on a builder, participation here *could* have been a factor but ultimately it became irrelevant.

I considered four different builders; of those four, three I would not have even been aware of had it not been for seeing their names on UU. Of those three - one posts frequently but did not answer my PMs or emails or respond to my threads about what I was considering; the other two post less frequently but were both lightning-fast in answering my inquiries both via the forums and email. In the end I went with someone who I've rarely seen post here, but that was because that builder seemed the best choice for the particular build I was seeking.

Not for me. It's more about being able to build a personal relationship with the luthier one-on-one. Contributing to an internet forum doesn't factor in.

I own three hand made ukuleles,and I know all three of the luthiers
personally. I also know them on various ukulele forums,but would not have
had them make a ukulele for me,unless I had played a few of their making to
check them out first. And of course, all three of them are truly gentlemen
and scholars!

It is a factor, but not a deciding one for me. I would choose a luthier mainly based upon the sound, playability and aesthetics of their ukes. But it is nice to see some custom luthiers on UU, as you get to learn a little about them personally and their build process.

Dude, I wouldn't even have heard of these guys were it not for UU. lol

It's also funny how custom uke builders popularity on UU comes in waves...can almost document the Glyph wave, the King wave, the Donaldson wave, the Wixsom wave, and on and on.

Daniel knows I think of resale (he does, too): that's why Kamakas sell everywhere, and some outstanding custom builders sometimes do not re-sell well, aside from UU.

Interesting question, D.

Last edited:
I want someone who is willing to communicate clearly, who is well grounded in luthiery, and who has a good attitude. I want to see a presence somewhere, if just on Facebook or a website, or via word of mouth, which I am only likely to find discussed on uke forums even if the luthier isn't a member. So I suppose that's yes and no.

If they have a crummy attitude I don't want that energy in something in which I hope to find pleasure, but that is just me. My Donaldson is my only custom but I feel the love and the skill in it every time I pick it up. Brad has talent and a great all around attitude about life, and a lot of wisdom. I love having both a uke and a flute he created with joy.

I have had four true customs built for me to my specifications. To my knowledge, two of the builders have never posted on the UU, one posts only occasionally, and one contributes regularly. But I heard about all of them through the UU. Without the exposure, and especially the feedback and reviews of the members here, I probably would never have had a custom built.

And there are a few builders that I would never commission, let alone buy any of their spec ukes, new or used, because of their attitudes on the forum.

And there are a few builders that I would never commission, let alone buy any of their spec ukes, new or used, because of their attitudes on the forum.

I've had that same thought. Thanks for putting it out there in pixels - I wasn't brave enough to mention it myself.

We've build Compass Roses for a number of folks on the forum, and I've had several forumites take my "Build a Uke in Four Days" classes as well. It's great to get to know the people who will play the instruments.

I try not to do business with jerks.

I want someone who is willing to communicate clearly, who is well grounded in luthiery, and who has a good attitude. I want to see a presence somewhere, if just on Facebook or a website, or via word of mouth, which I am only likely to find discussed on uke forums even if the luthier isn't a member. So I suppose that's yes and no.

If they have a crummy attitude I don't want that energy in something in which I hope to find pleasure, but that is just me. My Donaldson is my only custom but I feel the love and the skill in it every time I pick it up. Brad has talent and a great all around attitude about life, and a lot of wisdom. I love having both a uke and a flute he created with joy.

I agree. I've not purchased from many a business and lost the "good deal" because I didn't like the way I was treated. For me a big part of the pleasure of having an instrument made for me is to have a positive interaction with the builder. And I hope they find me someone they want to know for a short time rather than just a sum of cash.

Maybe I've been asleep at the wheel. I have not read anything from any builder that I found to be offensive. Is there a "Jerk Luthiers" sub forum that I don't know about?

Top Bottom