PDA

View Full Version : Season 126 "War"

Tootler
07-12-2014, 08:21 AM
http://youtu.be/RVDCVx9AISs

July 2014 sees the centenary of the outbreak of World War 1, so I felt it appropriate to include war songs as a theme for a season this month.

I see war songs as being from one of three overlapping types:

1. Songs written by the combatants themselves. Often critical of their leaders or descriptive of battle conditions and often to melodies of popular songs of the day.

2. Songs written about war by others. These can be pro or anti war and include songs written by tin pan alley writers, often but not exclusively, as propoganda.

3. Songs adopted by combatants. Often, these are simply popular songs of the day that the ordinary soldiers have adopted, sometimes as marching songs and sometimes simply sung during periods of recreation and often don't have any direct relationship to the conflict. Sometimes the same song can be adopted by both sides in a conflict.

I give these three categories purely as a guide. The point is to choose and record a song that in some way relates to war - for or against. If it's not obvious how a song relates to war then you need to explain the link - many songs popular with soldiers are like this.

The rules are pretty much as before with variants:
* The Ukulele should be prominent in your video but does not have to be present all the time.
* Maximum of three entries no bonuses please. If you want to do more send the rest to the misfit island.
* Multi tracking, use of effects etc. are permitted.
* Your entries should be a new recording made during this season.
* No entries before 00.00am Sunday July 13th and end 00.00pm Sunday July 20th Hawaii time.

Prizes will probably just be certificates.

Playlist: War Songs (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg2RZHnrXbUAMZtRDtmRZB4r0lDqHU_jM)

The playlist is unlisted as several of you have your videos unlisted.

Edit just to add that I realise that some might think this is a little early but it is early evening here and I am off out in about 1/2 hour and probably won't be home till after midnight.

RAB11
07-12-2014, 09:57 AM
Had a feeling you'd go for this theme Geoff. Good one, got a few songs in mind already.

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
07-12-2014, 11:11 AM
What is it good for?

GinnyT11
07-12-2014, 11:50 AM
Dang, Geoff! This is a theme I'd completely written out to use if I were called on to substitute.

In my version of this theme, I would have also asked for war-era songs about non-combatants, like Keep the Home Fires Burning, We'll Meet Again, and Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree with Anyone Else But Me. They're not strictly about war--are those songs okay with you?

Loggerhead
07-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Good Choice of subject.

Tootler
07-12-2014, 01:23 PM
What is it good for?

?? He's referring to the theme not war itself.

Dang, Geoff! This is a theme I'd completely written out to use if I were called on to substitute.

In my version of this theme, I would have also asked for war-era songs about non-combatants, like Keep the Home Fires Burning, We'll Meet Again, and Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree with Anyone Else But Me. They're not strictly about war--are those songs okay with you?

Sorry, Ginny. I guess that given the time, it's likely the theme would have cropped up sooner or later.

Your suggested songs fit either in my categories 2 or 3. The verses of Keep the Home Fires Burning are pretty jingoistic and the song fits the theme perfectly. Somewhat surprisingly, the words were written by an American before the US joined WWI.

As I said, the categories are a just a guide to help you choose a song. As long as the song in some way relates to war that's fine.

If you're not sure apply the Thornton rule.

Loggerhead
07-12-2014, 01:33 PM
What is it good for?

Absolutely Nothing....

Loggerhead
07-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Ironically a song or two.

War, huh yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, oh hoh, oh
War huh yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, say it again y'all
War, huh good God
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, listen to me

Oh, war, I despise
'Cause it means destruction of innocent lives
War means tears to thousands of mothers eyes
When their sons go off to fight and lose their lives

I said
War, huh good God y'all
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, just say it again
War whoa Lord
What is it good for?
War, it ain't nothin' but a heartbreak
War, friend only to the undertaker

Oh war, is an enemy to all mankind
The thought of war blows my mind
War has caused unrest within the younger generation
Induction, then destruction who wants to die

War, good God, y'all
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, say it, say it, say it
War, uh huh, yeah, huh
What is it good for?
War, it ain't nothin' but a heartbreaker
War, it's got one friend that's the undertaker

Oh, war has shattered many young man's dreams
Made him disabled bitter and mean
Life is much to short and precious to spend fighting wars these days
War can't give life it can only take it away, ooh

War, huh, good God y'all
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, say it again
War, whoa, Lord
What is it good for?
War, friend only to the undertaker

Peace love and understanding tell me
Is there no place for them today
They say we must fight to keep our freedom
But Lord knows there's got to be a better way

War, huh, good God y'all
What is it good for?
You tell 'em, say it, say it, say it, say it
War, good Lord, huh
What is it good for?
Stand up and shout it, nothing

Read more: Edwin Starr - War Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Which I believe is what Mr Wafflesquirt was referring to ...before we start squabbling and having misunderstandings......

uke4ia
07-12-2014, 02:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvC6ytZ6uGM

While you're waiting until you can post tomorrow, you can jam with me on this Fairport Convention war song I did a couple of years ago. The chords on the instrumental breaks are: Am Bb Bm

(Chorus:)
D G
Just a roll, just a roll
D G
Just a roll on your drum
D G
Just a roll, just a roll
C D Em
And the war has begun

D G
Now the right thing's the wrong thing
D G
No more excuses to come
D G
Just one step at a time
C D Bb
And the war has begun

(Chorus)

Instrumental Break 1: Am Bb Bm (repeated)

She's run away, she's run away
And she ran so bitterly
Now call to your colours, friend
Don't you call to me

(Chorus)

Instrumental Break 2: Am Bb Bm (repeated)

Don't you cry, don't you cry
Don't you cry upon the sea
Don't you cry, don't you cry
For your lady and me

(Chorus)
(Chorus)

bird's eye view of my ukelele
07-12-2014, 03:11 PM
wonderful theme and super intro vid

lelouden
07-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Heres another you can sing along to before posting time. Where have all the flowers gone appropriate for 126 and Jon's Pete Seeger's contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_V6wtkC7OQ

MikeOnTheUke
07-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Got a few songs in mind for this. One is a bit long and depressing, but still good. Gonna be a mix bag of feelings this week. Great theme for it

thesillydave
07-12-2014, 08:38 PM
here's my one and only bonus song....just to get the ball rolling! the ukulites made me do this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Le_0uiqP3g
i'll try to do better with the real war songs

wee_ginga_yin
07-12-2014, 09:30 PM
Dave said : here's my one and only bonus song....just to get the ball rolling! the ukulites made me do this!
i'll try to do better with the real war songs

See you've got a brand new leopard skin pill box hat.
How does your head feel under that?

By the way is that a beauty spot or a Robert DiNiro mole.
If it is the latter pleas ignore the above statement
I don't want you to think that I am looking at you Mr Bickle.

Loggerhead
07-12-2014, 11:46 PM
Yes I knew that.
And I like that song.
Hence the irony.
It is a song responding to war.

So fully understanding and certainly not squabbling.

Just checking.......;)

Don't want two tribes doing Frankies Trip to Hollywood thing.

wee_ginga_yin
07-13-2014, 01:12 AM
Getting in the mood for the WAR theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXGUW7LUGQw

xommen
07-13-2014, 01:41 AM
This is my take on Luka Bloom - I am not a war with anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RklTCovCJWw

xommen
07-13-2014, 01:57 AM
Not really sure if this song is about war but it is about fighting so I guess I somehow fits.
This is my take on Matisyahu - Live Like a Warrior.

http://youtu.be/chEJtNYEbmY
For a great version of the original look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS6SJ5s5wWg

Dougf
07-13-2014, 04:17 AM
I was mostly familiar with Bobby Darin’s earlier crooner phase stuff, like “Mack the Knife” and “Beyond the Sea”, but a friend recently showed me this song from his later folk-rock phase, “Simple Song of Freedom”. Darin strongly opposed US involvement in Vietnam. He died just a few years after writing this song, at the age of 37.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHWZxMMwcp4

lelouden
07-13-2014, 04:43 AM
An encouragement of Peace during the Vietnam War. Song by Pete Seeger. The lyrics, except for the title which is repeated throughout the song, and the final verse of the song, are adapted word-for-word from Chapter 3 of the Book of Ecclesiastes and set to music. This song is commonly performed as a plea for world peace, with an emphasis on the closing line: "a time for peace, I swear it's not too late."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga6qN6QLIXo

RAB11
07-13-2014, 07:23 AM
I asked Geoff if it was okay if we set a poem to music, thankfully he said yes as there's a tonne of excellent material out there to work with. That being said, I thought sharing my own songs was nerve-wracking enough. Presentin somebody else's words, especially ones so personal, that you've attempted to add to with music is a heavy task and this took me quite a few goes to get the tone right. Still not 100% happy with the ending as it doesn't quite flow with the rest of the poem.

So this is me trying to turn Wilfred Owen's haunting 'Dulce et Decorum Est' into a sort of folk song. It describes a gas attack in the First World War and sends a message back to those at home. I'll put the words in the YouTube description for those that aren't familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8UfIFBQ_Oo

barefootgypsy
07-13-2014, 07:37 AM
I'm going to respond the videos on YOutube.... meanwhile, three entries and no bonuses? That's a tough call to choose three songs from SO many.... but I'm working on it! And will find three....... a great theme, Geoff.....

RAB11
07-13-2014, 09:02 AM
You see Gaza is having the crap bombed out of it - I am watching the results with people digging through the rubble with their bare hands. I saw an infant dragged out of the rubble yesterday and a home for the disabled razed also.

And then I am reading that war is a great theme?

Just really struggling with this.
PEACE would have been a great theme.

I don't think anyone's saying war itself is great, rather that so many great songs have been written about war, often critical of it.

f2fanatic
07-13-2014, 09:03 AM
The only song that came to mind on this week's theme, Hero of war from Rise against (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DboMAghWcA). I have also included the lyrics just in case you cannot hear everything I mumble (first language is french) and the lyrics are very ON I think.
Michel

http://youtu.be/3WYg7Yj5760

He said, [C]"Son, Have you see the [Em] world?
Well, what would you say [F] If I said that you [C] could?
Just carry this gun. [F] and you’ll even get paid. [C]"
I said, "That sounds pretty [G] good." [G*] [G] [G*]

Black leather [C] boots Spit-shined so [Em] bright
They cut off my hair [F] but it looked [C] alright
We marched and we sang [F] We all became friends [C]
As we learned how to [G] fight [G*] [G] [G*]

A hero of [Am] war Yeah that’s what I’ll [F] be
And when I come [C] home They’ll be damn proud of [G] me
I’ll carry this flag [Am] To the grave if I [F] must
Because it’s the flag that I [C] love And a flag that I [G] trust

I kicked in the door [C] I yelled my commands [Em]
The children, they [F] cried But I got my [C] man
We took him away [F] A bag over his face [C]
From his family and his [G] friends[G*] [G] [G*]

They took off his clothes [C] They pissed in his [Em] hands
I told them to [F] stop But then I joined [C] in
We beat him with guns [F] And batons not just [C] once
But again and [G] again

Chorus

She [C] walked through bullets and [Em] haze
I asked her to [F] stop I begged her to [C] stay
But she pressed on [F] So I lifted my [C] gun
And I fired [G] away [G*] [G] [G*]

The [C] shells jumped through the [Em] smoke
And into the sand [F] That the blood now had [C] soaked
She collapsed [F] with a flag in her [C] hand
A flag white as [G] snow [G*] [G] [G*]

Chorus Last = It’s the only flag I [G] trust [G*] [G] [G*]

He said, [C]"Son, have you seen the [Em] world?
Well what would you [F] say, if I said that [C] you could?"

lelouden
07-13-2014, 09:05 AM
I AM going with "Peace" as the theme Brian. Im hoping my three songs will bring some kind of peace with the little war going on in this thread as we all struggle with war and the loss of innocent people because of it. Im hoping my songs are excepted but I really don't care if Im disqualifying myself. Its what Im going to do!

One summer evening in 1955, a group of 180 teenagers of all races and religions, meeting at a workshop high in the California mountains, locked arms, formed a circle and sang a song of peace. They felt that singing the song, with its simple basic sentiment - "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me," helped to create a climate for world peace and understanding.

When they came down from the mountain, these inspired young people brought the song with them and started sharing it. And, as though on wings, "Let There Be Peace On Earth" began an amazing journey around the globe.

The song began to win awards. "Let There Be Peace on Earth" was awarded the George Washington Honor Medal by the Freedom Foundation at Valley Forge for "Outstanding achievement in helping to bring about a better understanding of the American Way of Life." It also received a Brotherhood Award from the National Conference of Christians and Jews. This simple thought, "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me" first born on a mountain top in the voices of youth, continues to travel heart to heart - gathering in people everywhere who wish to become a note in a song of understanding and peace - peace for all mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZrBZEWn5A

barefootgypsy
07-13-2014, 09:29 AM
You see Gaza is having the crap bombed out of it - I am watching the results with people digging through the rubble with their bare hands. I saw an infant dragged out of the rubble yesterday and a home for the disabled razed also.

Okay, my response to this..... I think that the theme is great because I believe it's meant to be commemorative of the lives lost, declaring once more the awfulness of war, and intended to be contemplative; it's not that War is great, (of course) but that here is the chance to respond with the great protest songs, and perhaps to also to remember the songs that lifted morale in the darkest times.... for powerful stuff, look what RAB11 has done with Dulce et Decorum Est by Siegfried Sassoon.... and lelouden has responded also with great sensitivity... surely, "peace" songs are a direct response to war?

Harry122
07-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Here's an interesting song from World War II. Written by Hoagy Carmichael (Stardust, Georgia On My Mind), this song sings about the (believed) upcoming invasion of Japan. The song's title was listed in the Guinness Book Of World Records for many years, as having the longest title, "I'm A Cranky Old Yank In A Clanky Old Tank On The Streets Of Yokohama With My Honolulu Mama Doing The Beat-o Beat-o Flat On My Seat-o Hirohito Blues." In Later years, Carmichael said the title was just a joke, but it's interesting nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Cy0DZaEwU

mythinformed
07-13-2014, 09:41 AM
An encouragement of Peace during the Vietnam War. Song by Pete Seeger. The lyrics, except for the title which is repeated throughout the song, and the final verse of the song, are adapted word-for-word from Chapter 3 of the Book of Ecclesiastes and set to music. This song is commonly performed as a plea for world peace, with an emphasis on the closing line: "a time for peace, I swear it's not too late."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga6qN6QLIXo
Absolute corker, the Travis picking treatment really picks up the pace of this song Linda, beautifully played.

RAB11
07-13-2014, 09:52 AM
War is gross, war is obscene
And now it's the subject of our ukulele theme
War is death, war is hate
And we have a week to sing about it. Ain't that great?
I've done two, I'll do one more
But wouldn't it be great NOT to sing about war?

Get what you're saying Pa but look at your first song this week. I Was Only 19 was first song I thought of when I saw the theme because it's such a great bit of songwriting.

MikeOnTheUke
07-13-2014, 11:16 AM
On the note of war being the theme...

I am a pacifist. Pure and simple. Partly from my religious views, and partly from my training in martial arts. As much as I loathe the existence of war, it is a thing. Has been, is now, and at least for the very near future, will be. However, songs about war, more so nowadays, are what give me hope for peace. As long as we sing of peace and the badness of war, Peace will never become hopeless. Even "soldier songs," songs the soldiers sang, ring hope in me. These men, fighting other men, needed to constantly distract themselves, and lighten their experience, because they KNEW war is bad. As long as our own soldiers wish for their jobs to be unneeded, again peace is possible.

So I will sing the songs of war and peace. To keep the spirit of peace alive, and to honor those who didn't live to see it happen because of their own time's conflicts.

Sorry for the long, sappy message. I just wanted to weigh in.

Harry122
07-13-2014, 11:37 AM
On the note of war being the theme...

I am a pacifist. Pure and simple. Partly from my religious views, and partly from my training in martial arts. As much as I loathe the existence of war, it is a thing. Has been, is now, and at least for the very near future, will be. However, songs about war, more so nowadays, are what give me hope for peace. As long as we sing of peace and the badness of war, Peace will never become hopeless. Even "soldier songs," songs the soldiers sang, ring hope in me. These men, fighting other men, needed to constantly distract themselves, and lighten their experience, because they KNEW war is bad. As long as our own soldiers wish for their jobs to be unneeded, again peace is possible.

So I will sing the songs of war and peace. To keep the spirit of peace alive, and to honor those who didn't live to see it happen because of their own time's conflicts.

Sorry for the long, sappy message. I just wanted to weigh in.

Hear, hear. Well said.

Loggerhead
07-13-2014, 12:28 PM
War is gross, war is obscene
And now it's the subject of our ukulele theme
War is death, war is hate
And we have a week to sing about it. Ain't that great?
I've done two, I'll do one more

War is as much a tragic part of our life as death ...and taxes .....many songs about the old grim reaper and his product ....not so many about taxes, I grant you.....
I think that the sentiments expressed about the theme are not so much reveling in War.

(which is vile and utterly reprehensible as a solution to failed diplomacy.....Churchill said that war is an extension of diplomacy by other means ,trouble is you never very often see the politicians out there ...might be different if they had to ...still I digress)

..and many war songs do express the sentiment of anti war...so become peace songs ....perhaps Mr G Tootler may have called it The Tolstoy Week
...War and Peace ...but I understand the connection with 1914 (the American members will need another couple or so years to catch up ...lol)
1918 conflict which led to the subsequent conflicts because nothing is ever ,ever resolved by war.......and I think it is a fitting and reflective subject that may be tackled accurately and fairly from many standpoints, directions,humours and sentiments . All equally valid.

And just to add another line or two to Pa's burgeoning and nascent song...

---I've done two, I'll do one more
When I've done my third
I'll hang up my uke
I'll sing of war no more......

Love your input and viewpoint Pa...sensitive,sober and considered..

Tootler
07-13-2014, 12:51 PM

NO! War is not the theme. The theme is songs about war which not the same thing.

Okay, my response to this..... I think that the theme is great because I believe it's meant to be commemorative of the lives lost, declaring once more the awfulness of war, and intended to be contemplative; it's not that War is great, (of course) but that here is the chance to respond with the great protest songs, and perhaps to also to remember the songs that lifted morale in the darkest times.... for powerful stuff, look what RAB11 has done with Dulce et Decorum Est by Siegfried Sassoon.... and lelouden has responded also with great sensitivity... surely, "peace" songs are a direct response to war?

Lesley has summed it up nicely here. War is a fact of life and people are sent off to war and can expect to be damaged in some way as a result. Although he rarely shows it, I occasionally see flashes of the effect of WWII on my Father and I remember visiting my uncle just before he died and he was reliving his experience at El Alamein. It was very disturbing.

However war, however evil it is, does often produce great music and great literature. It is one of those perverse facts of human life that adversity can bring out the greatness in some people and the theme is intended to celebrate that and also, as Lesley says, to commemorate those whose lives came to an untimely end or who have been damaged by war. The theme does also encompass songs of protest against war and songs of hope for peace.

Tootler
07-13-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm posting here one of the most powerful songs I've ever come across. It had an impact on me even before I knew its origins. In a way it's part of my response to some of the criticisms of the theme.

The song originated in the Nazi Concentration camps. The original concentration camps were internment camps for opponents of Hitler (mainly communists but others as well) and were established in 1933 when the Nazis came to power. The song was written by some inmates of a camp at Bōrgermoor in Germany in 1933 and was intended as comment on the inmates situation. This song was the first of several that circulated through the camps in Germany during the Nazi era. There is more info on this songs, collectively known as "Moorsoldatenlied". You can find out more about the origins of the song here (http://holocaustmusic.ort.org/places/camps/music-early-camps/moorsoldatenlied/).

http://youtu.be/wSrYRkayTxQ

Tootler
07-13-2014, 12:59 PM
I was hoping to get some comment in on the early entries but I'll have to put that back to tommorrow sometime as it's getting late and I'm tired. I will update the playlist, though.

Playlist updated.

07-13-2014, 01:48 PM
pa, i'm sorry, but if you think anyone here is jumping up and down with delight at the chance to celebrate how much we love war, in song, on the ukulele, you are in in a dreamworld and i feel you are insulting the people you quoted, and also being very unfair on tootler who came up with this very timely theme - timely in terms of history and also in terms of current world experience. i am sure most if not everyone here in the seasons has lost someone in their family to war, or seen them struggle horribly with the legacy of war. the idea that some of us don't realise war is a bad thing is ridiculous. we are at liberty to sing anti war songs, peace songs, celebrate the everyday songs that helped get desperate and scared people through the experience of war, or indeed, if we are especially disgusted at the idea of war as a theme, we are welcome to not enter at all. i stand by what i said, i think it's a great theme that tootler has come up with, and i am looking forward to entering a song and being part of this season

Harry122
07-13-2014, 03:39 PM
George Formby worked tirelessly throughout World War II to support the troops and try to bring a smile to their faces. Here's one of my favorites, "Bell Bottom George."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwg_dlLJ6U0&feature=youtu.be

mythinformed
07-13-2014, 07:28 PM
I've never been christened/baptised and I've never been inside a church except to see a cathedral on a school trip as a kid .........when I see the bloodshed that religion has caused through intolerances of each others faiths I'm kinda glad I grew up with that freedom, I'm bound by no book or religious conscience to teach me what is right or wrong, its instinctive as a compassionate human being.

A fitting and timely topic here Geoff to remember war from whatever perspective or stance.

lelouden
07-13-2014, 07:55 PM

Well it has taken me all day long to decide how I feel about commenting on the songs for this week. I have decided to comment as usual on performance and delivery. I do believe it is better to support each other. This theme has caused many of us to think and thats a good thing. At the end of the day I think we can all agree that none of us like the reality of war. (Serious subject= high emotion)

I think there may be many of us that have family, or those themselves that have had to serve in some capacity and I would hate to disrespect anyone that put there lives on the line for their country. I loved what Barefootgypsy said and agree with her. War isn't good, death isn't good and suffering of the innocent isn't good so I would encourage anyone that has strong feelings or emotions on the subject to do it through song as Geoff has left it open for us to do that.

UkeyDave
07-13-2014, 10:33 PM

I fail to understand your logic here Brian? You seem to infer that the theme infers agreement with war. I would argue the opposite.

UkeyDave
07-13-2014, 11:16 PM
I make no such inference.
It's just what I feel is the trivial nature of it being this weeks theme that I have trouble with. It's such a BIG topic.
And then there's the great and wonderful descriptions.
I don't believe there's any insult in not feeling that way about the theme.
And next week we can go and find something else to sing about.
Something equally great and wonderful no doubt.
Now none of this is 'criticism' it's just that this is not a regular enjoyable season for me.
It's about war. That's what it says in the season title.
I think it is inappropriate for you to trash someones theme in this way. A passive observer may think that your trying to start a war Brian. ;-)

wee_ginga_yin
07-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Someone is always making a killing from war.

http://youtu.be/JWR39eKTvRM

G AI'm just a typical American boy from a typical American town.
D7 G
I believe in God and Senator Dodd and in keeping old Castro down.
G A
And when it came my time to serve, I knew better dead than red.
D7 G
But when I got to my ol' draft board, buddy this is what I said:

:
G
"Sarge, I'm only eighteen, I got a ruptured spleen,
A
And I always carry a purse.
D7 G
I got eyes like a bat, and my feet are flat, and my asthma's getting worse.
G A
Oh, think of my career, my sweetheart dear, my poor old invalid aunt.
D7
Besides, I ain't no fool, I'm going to school,
G
And I'm working in a defense plant.

G
I got a dislocated disc, and a racked up back,
A
I'm allergic to flowers and bugs,
D7
And when the bombshell hits I get epileptic fits
G
And I'm addicted to a thousand drugs.
G
I got the weakness woes, I can't touch my toes,
A
I can hardly reach my knees.
D7 G
And if the enemy came close to me, I'd probably start to sneeze."

G A
I hate Chou En Lai and I hope he dies, but one thing you gotta see,
D7 G
That someone's gotta go over there, and that someone isn't me.
G
So I wish you well, Sarge, give 'em hell,
A
Yeah, kill me a thousand or so.
D7
And if you ever get a war without blood and gore,
G
Well I'll be the first to go.

Loggerhead
07-13-2014, 11:57 PM
Someone is always making a killing from war.

http://youtu.be/JWR39eKTvRM

Hmmm ,Vickers,Browning,Heckler and Koch etc....etc .....etcetera..................................... ............strangely Kalashnikov made very little.....

barefootgypsy
07-14-2014, 12:00 AM
I make no such inference.
It's just what I feel is the trivial nature of it being this weeks theme that I have trouble with. It's such a BIG topic.
And then there's the great and wonderful descriptions.
I don't believe there's any insult in not feeling that way about the theme.
And next week we can go and find something else to sing about.
Something equally great and wonderful no doubt.
Now none of this is 'criticism' it's just that this is not a regular enjoyable season for me.
It's about war. That's what it says in the season title.

Brian, in my first post, which you took issue with, I said that it was a big topic and it therefore would be a challenge to find just three songs to sum up an appropriate response to it - "and then there's the great and wonderful descriptions"... it took me a little while to understand what you are getting at here - you mean that I and others said that it was a great theme? Surely you don't honestly think that we think that war is great? I think your perception of what Tootler is doing here is skewed. Many of us in the UK do have a close connection with the realities of war, though we have not lived through them ourselves. During WWII my city (Birmingham) was bombed extensively and in fact my uncle was sent for from the army when his own house took a direct hit, killing his wife and three children. Their names are on a memorial to the victims of the Birmingham air raids in Birmingham city centre. He also had to dig them out himself. In WWI my grandfather was badly wounded with both shrapnel and gunshot in 1917 during the awfulness that was Passchendaele. Fortunatel he lived to tell the tale. When my son was born, Grandad's words were "Don't ever let him go to war...... shoot him in the foot first...." You think we are treating this theme as a triviality? You shouldn't presume to know.....

barefootgypsy
07-14-2014, 12:12 AM
So - here's my first. Anti-war.... but naturally. War is an abomination....

http://youtu.be/aeFqtRd8A0k

myrnaukelele
07-14-2014, 12:32 AM
NO! War is not the theme. The theme is songs about war which not the same thing...
However war, however evil it is, does often produce great music and great literature. It is one of those perverse facts of human life that adversity can bring out the greatness in some people and the theme is intended to celebrate that and also, as Lesley says, to commemorate those whose lives came to an untimely end or who have been damaged by war. The theme does also encompass songs of protest against war and songs of hope for peace.

This is a powerful and very emotional theme Tootler. If I am able to record a song this week I shall dedicate it to my uncle, who died on
D-Day (only 22 years old) and is buried in Normandy.

wee_ginga_yin
07-14-2014, 01:51 AM
Written in response to The Universal Soldier apparently.
An Anti-Anti-War song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4BFRI2m4-k

I heard a version of the Universal Soldier by a Swedish Duo called FIRST AID KIT (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xq831b2tPg)
They had changed the words from the original Buffy St Marie song,
so I had to give it a go... albeit a little early for this season but still relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ8dSHqvEEc

barefootgypsy
07-14-2014, 03:01 AM
I posted my poor effort at Fighting For Strangers earlier.... please see this live version by Steeleye - I saw them on this tour. A very moving piece.... here, Gentleman Soldier moves seamlessly into Fighting for Strangers round about 3.00. This band puts a song across like no other....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZJ4_2YTbg

MikeOnTheUke
07-14-2014, 03:36 AM
I've never been christened/baptised and I've never been inside a church except to see a cathedral on a school trip as a kid .........when I see the bloodshed that religion has caused through intolerances of each others faiths I'm kinda glad I grew up with that freedom, I'm bound by no book or religious conscience to teach me what is right or wrong, its instinctive as a compassionate human being.

A fitting and timely topic here Geoff to remember war from whatever perspective or stance.

Eh... i don't really want to start an argument about religion (we all know where THAT sort of argument leads). But I will say that I absolutely agree with the idea of being given that sort of freedom. I had previously mentioned being a religious person, myself, but I am a Christian through my own decision/introspection. I was never pressured, nor indoctrinated. When you're not sort of forced into it, and allowed to believe/not believe for yourself, it allows you to really let your common sense stick around.

Also, yes. Loving this theme, both as a pacifist, and as someone who wishes to honor my veteran relatives (and all veterans, frankly)

UkeyDave
07-14-2014, 04:32 AM
For my long lost family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCXlDUe5fAE

DWitt
07-14-2014, 04:47 AM
An entry for you.

This falls under categories 2 and 3, broadly. 3 because I've read that this song was 'adopted' by some people on the ground in Bosnia as a song for them in that time. And 2, but broadly, since David Byrne apparently said he was thinking about terrorism and insurgency rather than traditional war: "I was thinking about Baader-Meinhof. Patty Hearst. Tompkins Square. This a song about living in Alphabet City."

Oh, and this is also my presentation of the shirt I won in Season 119! Thanks again Linda!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF4kFG36Jvw

ChrisDeston821
07-14-2014, 07:26 AM
Had a few ideas for this thread but since we can have three entries I figured I'd try and be a li'l cheeky and kill a couple birds with one song ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVBFJK9fIC0
Couldn't figure out the baseline he had going and I fluffed up nearer the end but gave it my best (:

UkeKnowDamnRight
07-14-2014, 10:03 AM
My first season...

I've been wanting to do this for a while--have been playing uke for about four months. Please forgive technical goofiness (like only capturing my STRAP rather than my uke, and uke sounding as though it might be underwater). I'll be working on my AV (and uke) skills! This isn't perfect in so many ways, but I wanted to stay with the spirit of why these seasons exist and not get overly prissy about my video. Thanks for watching!

http://youtu.be/AJmpuVTJv5M

RAB11
07-14-2014, 10:11 AM
I can't believe I haven't managed to do a Powderfinger song yet. They're an Aussie band, one of the first I ever got into. Bernard Fanning is a terrific songwriter and isn't afraid to have a pop at the powers that be. This song does that also appeals to everyone to give peace a try.

http://youtu.be/O5xAUQtlWrI

Dunno what's going on with my voice today. Tried a different song earlier on that didn't sound right and this isn't quite there either but I wanted to share it anyway.

Tootler
07-14-2014, 01:02 PM
I've been adding my comments on your entries on You Tube. I'll probably stick to that so check You Tube as well for comments. I will get through the entries as and when I can.

UkeCan1
07-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Happy Bastille Day! Mr. Tootler, did you know it would be Bastille Day during your war week?

Well, you all knew I was going to do this one anyway, I'm pretty sure ... but, heck ... it's Bastille Day! So, of course one must do a song about ze French Revolution, non?

http://youtu.be/vUS9WrecVRo

I hope you'll forgive the usual flubs and goofs, and that you will still recognize the Marseillaise at the intro and the Peter Gunn theme at about 1:30 in spite of my fumble-fingers.

Yes, this, one of my favorite songs of all time (http://youtu.be/XrfIoWiQS24), is actually four songs in one ... in four different keys. Oy vey. I always conveniently forget how hard these Allan Sherman songs are. And there were no chords on line. At all.

If someone else can figure out the proper chords in the "King Louie was living like a king" section, that would make me oh so happy.

This could have done with several days more practice, but then it wouldn't have been Bastille Day any more.

ddanner
07-14-2014, 04:40 PM
As a child of the 60's I remember being deeply moved by several anti-war songs of the time. Where Have All The Flowers Gone; Universal Soldier; One Tin Soldier; Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall, and my choice for this week's Season: Come Away Melinda. Several artists covered it during that time period, but I first heard it done by Theordore Bikel on an LP vinyl I purchased. He captured the lively, skipping nature of the child's part with some really nice guitar picking. This was my challenge. I am just beginning to incorporate picking into my uke tool bag, and I have a difficult time switching between it and strumming. This song presented an excellent opportunity to work on that by using picking during the child's verses and strumming for the parents part. (BTW, I deliberately reversed that at the end - it wasn't a screw up! Honest!) I hope you like it. It was definitely a good exercise for me, and I think this was a really great theme. I'm quite pleased to now have this song on my YouTube SOTU Playlist:

http://youtu.be/fVej-RJvFAY

Cornfield
07-14-2014, 04:58 PM
http://youtu.be/aP17aNB33Mc

An original song

RAB11
07-14-2014, 09:03 PM
In 2004 I was 12, in my first year of high school and a band called Green Day* released an album called American Idiot. Up until then I was fairly naive, didn't really listen to any music of my own, and had a child's idealised notion of war. American Idiot was an album full of the first protest music I'd ever heard and it completely changed the way I saw things. About a year later the Iraq war started and I was very much against it. I still had this album on repeat.

So while none of the songs on the album directly address war, it'll always have that connection in my mind, and this is the song that links closest to it in my opinion. Tried doing it plugged in last ngiht but couldn't quite get it right, so I've slowed it down a bit.

http://youtu.be/ZskfV2Supaw

*This is the second Green Day song I've done for a Geoff week. It's just a coincidence, I promise.

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
07-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Absolutely Nothing....

Bang on, sorry for being obtuse and then going away so I couldn't respond, I didn't think it would be controversial.

UkeyDave
07-14-2014, 11:46 PM
I'd like to publicly thank Geoff for this weeks marvellous theme which is helping to highlight the awfulness of War. Our national consciousness (at least here in the UK) is reminded about the coming 100th anniversary of that terrible supposed "war to end all wars" - the Great War (1914-1918) which I believe wiped out a quarter of the UK male soldiers.
Whilst trawling through the many many songs of that era I came across this one. I was not previously aware of this song and wouldn't have been without this weeks theme so thank you Geoff. I immediately knew this was the song that resonated in me. Whilst sarcasm is never pleasant in the case of this particular song which was written with sarcastic lyrics it sums up perfectly my feelings about the Great War (how ironic that we use the word Great).
I think you may find this video simplistic but quite powerful in an emotive sense. It left me emotionally drained for a while after producing it. I'm sure it will evoke very strong emotions. I make no apology for that.
WARNING - IT IS NOT FOR THOSE OF A SENSITIVE NATURE and adult discretion is required.
<strong>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSa2M8xuB1M

Harry122
07-15-2014, 12:58 AM
When Johnny Comes Marching Home

This song was written during the American Civil War, and was sung by both sides. Over the years, it has been sung during every war, not only by Americans but by other nations as well.

On the surface, this song seems to be a celebration of a returning war hero, but when you look deeply, you find that it is a prayer for the return of a local lad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zqzUy1r7IE&feature=youtu.be

UkeyDave
07-15-2014, 02:41 AM
Wow - powerful stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tv5gBa9DQs&amp;index=8&amp;list=RDsH4-fYIfC-E

strumsilly
07-15-2014, 05:37 AM
my other song had no volume and had already been done, so I whipped this out this morning.
from wiki:
"The Battle of New Orleans" is a song written by Jimmy Driftwood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Driftwood). The song describes the 1815 Battle of New Orleans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_New_Orleans) from the perspective of an American soldier; the song tells the tale of the battle with a light tone and provides a rather comical version of what actually happened at the battle. It has been recorded by many artists, but the singer most often associated with this song is Johnny Horton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Horton). His version scored number 1 on theBillboard Hot 100 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Hot_100) in 1959 (see 1959 in music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_in_music)).
<b style="color: rgb(37, 37, 37); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22.399999618530273px;"><span style="font-size: 14px;">
http://youtu.be/v9zxb1WU3IY

UkeCan1
07-15-2014, 05:52 AM
Here's another French Revolution song I came across in my King Louie wanderings, post-Bastille-Day but still trying to get my song right. This one is even more education than mine:

http://youtu.be/wXsZbkt0yqo

It's from a very popular channel called "historyteachers". They have a bunch of great-looking stuff ... probably a heap more war-related songs if anybody's looking for something more light-hearted.

Like many, I felt a bit conflicted about the theme, being both a pacifist and a believer in law of attraction (you get more of whatever you focus on, including when you try to focus on the opposite ... trying to get away from something still has you focused on the thing you're trying to get away from).

But then I remembered my favorite old Allan Sherman song is about a revolution ... and it was Bastille Day ... so I did my usual thing and went for humor. I hope that doesn't offend anyone. I too thought about going the peace route, but "King Louie" was too much fun to resist, especially with the happy coincidence of Bastille Day.

Clearly there are many strong feelings out there about this theme, in all sorts of directions. It's interesting to me that this thread has been the closest I've seen the Seasons come to warring with each other ... ironic, no? (Love that a newcomer named "Loggerhead" has been an active participant on the war and peace frontlines.)

I hope we can appreciate that all these different views are fundamentally all coming from the same place ... love for our human brothers and sisters (and our fellow Seasonistas!), and a desire for all of us to have good, happy lives and peace in our homes and hearts.

And that we can come together in common ground and peace and love in this Seasons place, like we always do. Our differences are what make us interesting. It'd be a mighty boring place (the Seasons, the world, life) if we all thought the same, right?

Love you all! (People I disagree with are harder to love, but how else would I grow my love muscles? I for one am glad for the practice.)

wee_ginga_yin
07-15-2014, 06:13 AM
William Morris wrote a poem called The haystack in the floods I read it when I was
16 and it made a great impression on me and still does. No Ukulele only a recitation.
Some of you might like it. Video was from a walk in the Finnish forest on a wet Spring day.
The poem could be about some scenes from Winterfell and the Game of Thrones.
Bleak and desolate... and man's inhumanity to man. You would think we would
have become more enlightened since the middle ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1OFygrdwfk

FiL
07-15-2014, 07:25 AM
New Order's dance-rock folk song ghost story "Love Vigilantes" completely passed my by when it came out in 1985. I was too busy listening to Iron Maiden at the time. But in 2008, Laura Cantrell recorded a country/folk version of it, and I was smitten. Here's my version, which borrows heavily from Laura's.

http://youtu.be/3lk7TQ2wT-c

- FiL

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
07-15-2014, 10:52 AM
I decided against Edwin Starr and went for Pete Seeger, where have all the flowers gone

http://youtu.be/A70t9ze-8YY

Tootler
07-15-2014, 11:19 AM
I have listened to all the videos up to this point and added them to the playlist. I have left comments on You Tube. If I have misssed yours at all, please let me know.

An excellent set of entries. The standard is certainly high and there are some excellent songs. Keep your entries coming.

I would like to make special mention of UkeKnowDamnRight for an excellent seasons debut having played the uke for just four months. I hope we will hear more from you in future, Enid

TCK
07-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Fairly certain this is in here already...I plan to catch up if the bird rescuin' slows down a bit.
When I was 19, I worked in a pet store grooming old ladies tiny little dogs. Rode a three wheeled Schwinn to work every day, got a few beers after, rode home to my special lady friend (who is now my wife).
This song is for all my friends who rode a helicopter to work when they were that age...and for all the ones that did not get to ride home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4t7u3hxBZI&feature=youtu.be

Loggerhead
07-15-2014, 12:01 PM
What are these birds doing that they need rescuing from ? Are they raptors ? Or are they Raptor's Repasts ? Sounds fascinating.

Hey ..is this CCR ? Just a bit rusty .

I rather like that pull off every now and then .

TCK
07-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Yes Logger, on all counts...welcome aboard. Allow me introduce myself. I am the Cloverdale Kid, and when I am not here, I am bandaging up battered birds and such.69016
What are these birds doing that they need rescuing from ? Are they raptors ? Or are they Raptor's Repasts ? Sounds fascinating.

Hey ..is this CCR ? Just a bit rusty .

I rather like that pull off every now and then .

bonesigh
07-15-2014, 12:18 PM
I hope my entry for this week meets approval. If not, just make it a bonus (: Sorry about the video not matching up with the audio. I need a better system!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRX07Y8UBwo&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

lelouden
07-15-2014, 01:03 PM
When my grandfather was a young man he went to Germany as a missionary. There he feel in love with the people he served. After he arrived home to america he feel in love and married my grandmother. They quickly started their family and he was called up to serve as a paratrooper in WW11. Can you imagine how hard it was for him to go back and fight against the people that he served. Shortly after hitting the ground he was fortunately mildly injured. He lost three toes and was sent back to his family in america. He lived a good long life and he and my grandmother died within a week of each other. They were 96 years old. My grandfather took care of my grandmother who had bad health up until he died of heart failure less than a week before she did. They were both doing very poorly the last month of their lives so my mother went to care for them both. My Grandmother was asleep when he passed and when she woke up and noticed he wasn't next to her in bed she asked where he was and my mother told her that he had passed. She was so heart broken that she went into a sleep and passed. They had a double funeral. I was 47 years old when they died. He never talked about the war but he did talk about his mission and his service there.

This is my third entry and another call for peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiZbfNfCZk0&feature=youtu.be

UkeKnowDamnRight
07-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Hi, everybody. Thank you so much for the kind words and very warm welcome! I'm looking forward to the next season and enjoying all of your videos. How cool to think that there are so many people out there uke-in' it up! :music:

lelouden
07-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Like many, I felt a bit conflicted about the theme, being both a pacifist and a believer in law of attraction (you get more of whatever you focus on, including when you try to focus on the opposite ... trying to get away from something still has you focused on the thing you're trying to get away from).

Clearly there are many strong feelings out there about this theme, in all sorts of directions. It's interesting to me that this thread has been the closest I've seen the Seasons come to warring with each other ... ironic, no? (Love that a newcomer named "Loggerhead" has been an active participant on the war and peace frontlines.)

I hope we can appreciate that all these different views are fundamentally all coming from the same place ... love for our human brothers and sisters (and our fellow Seasonistas!), and a desire for all of us to have good, happy lives and peace in our homes and hearts.

And that we can come together in common ground and peace and love in this Seasons place, like we always do. Our differences are what make us interesting. It'd be a mighty boring place (the Seasons, the world, life) if we all thought the same, right?

Love you all! (People I disagree with are harder to love, but how else would I grow my love muscles? I for one am glad for the practice.)

Well said Wendy!

Tootler, Thank You for causing us all to think a little more deeply about how we feel about this theme, and giving us the opportunity to reflect on the people of our individual histories.

07-15-2014, 08:00 PM
a great song by tenpole tudor, from back in the day (let me narrow that down a little - it was 1981!)

"swords of a thousand men"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqFgpF2Pl_Y

Tootler
07-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Geoff, can you please leave comments on the thread, too? It's valuable for us to see what the host is saying to each person. You can copy the comment if you like, but my opinion (worth half a cent) is that it's part of what Seasons followers like to see. Thanks a lot.

I'm sure you're right, Ginny and ideally that's what I like to do but things were a bit tight over the weekend and it was really only yesterday evening that I got a proper chance to catch up with the entries and update the playlist. I judged that it was better to make sure that I listened to and commented on all the entries to date rather than worry about adding comments to the thread so, in this case, I decided just to comment on You Tube so that I didn't feel rushed and could go back and listen again which I did on a some occasions.

I'm sure you realise that each host is able to run their season in their own way and need to take into account their circumstances. The guidelines give a guide to best practice but sometimes we have to stray from that. I will be putting general comments on the thread and updating when I have listened to a batch of entries.

Google have actually made one useful addition to the video page. There's now a little "Add" button below the video along with the "Share" button which lets you add to a playlist without having to open it and copy and paste the url. That certainly saved some time.

UkeyDave
07-16-2014, 12:45 AM
Here's my third and last one. This is a song not written specifically for war-time but one that was sung movingly by Vera Lynn with forces singing along (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNB8VbFmlOY). I never dreamt I'd ever sing a song covered by Vera Lynn. I actually prefer the version done by the Furey Brothers which I urge you to listen to here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBZzwbdZC9U) There are tons of covers which I haven't had chance to listen to yet.
This one has been a labour of love as I have made a montage of photographs again of close family members showing them as young and mature which I think ties in with the theme AND the song lyrics quite nicely. Each one of them lived through either one or both of the two World Wars (with the exception of the last person photographed in the video). My gran in particular always sung these songs at family gatherings and so this theme is particularly poignant for me as it must be for many. These songs are culturally important to many of us in the UK and for me always bring back happy memories of family singalongs when i was just a kid. The ironic thing about this entry is that I sound as though I'm choking up with emotion whilst singing. In fact I'm struggling to reach the high note (but I left it in nonetheless). Hopefully all of the photo's are viewable on this particular one. They were for me when I checked on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg8QNX2mkPk

krabbers
07-16-2014, 02:20 AM
I forgot what season it was but I did say war and season so I think I got away with it Pike,

this is "with my best friend at my side" an original song written by my, direct uplaod from my phone so sorry bout the quality

http://youtu.be/k1-jAMKfxyM

DWitt
07-16-2014, 06:29 AM
New Order's dance-rock folk song ghost story "Love Vigilantes" completely passed my by when it came out in 1985. I was too busy listening to Iron Maiden at the time. But in 2008, Laura Cantrell recorded a country/folk version of it, and I was smitten. Here's my version, which borrows heavily from Laura's.

Thanks for your version of this! It's especially cool to hear (and see!) the resonator along with the banjo-uke.

I had been planning to do this one for this season as well, but it wasn't sounding quite right to me. I had been playing it with C-F-Dm chord shapes, but after seeing you play it with G-C-Am chord shapes, I tried that, and hey presto!, so much better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxX4Dtkhb8s

Markwo
07-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Here is my entry for the week. It's a song I knew from the American Adventure pavilion at Epcot. It has some pretty good music in it.

http://youtu.be/TNGlyDR00nQ

Freeda
07-16-2014, 09:04 AM
I forgot to say Seasons and War, because I kept crying every other damn take. I love/hate this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUDbdNOtx4Q

Oh jeez. That's a great face. Ugh.

Freeda
07-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Here's my third and last one. This is a song not written specifically for war-time but one that was sung movingly by Vera Lynn with forces singing along (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNB8VbFmlOY). I never dreamt I'd ever sing a song covered by Vera Lynn. I actually prefer the version done by the Furey Brothers which I urge you to listen to here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBZzwbdZC9U) There are tons of covers which I haven't had chance to listen to yet.
This one has been a labour of love as I have made a montage of photographs again of close family members showing them as young and mature which I think ties in with the theme AND the song lyrics quite nicely. Each one of them lived through either one or both of the two World Wars (with the exception of the last person photographed in the video). My gran in particular always sung these songs at family gatherings and so this theme is particularly poignant for me as it must be for many. These songs are culturally important to many of us in the UK and for me always bring back happy memories of family singalongs when i was just a kid. The ironic thing about this entry is that I sound as though I'm choking up with emotion whilst singing. In fact I'm struggling to reach the high note (but I left it in nonetheless). Hopefully all of the photo's are viewable on this particular one. They were for me when I checked on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg8QNX2mkPk

Dave, that was just beautiful.

barefootgypsy
07-16-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm so glad that for the first time in ages, I have had time this week both to enter a song AND to listen to plenty of entries.... and I have to say I'm really enjoying listening to all the different takes on this theme. It's sober stuff but very thought-provoking as well as heart-string-tugging.... I, for one, have shed tears. A lot of thought has gone into these entries..... what a great bunch you all are here on the Seasons.... hats off to the lot of you.... and to Geoff for the theme. Very worthwhile.....

....... Love and Peace.....

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
07-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Don't tell him Pike

http://youtu.be/G1xDygJqaUY

lelouden
07-16-2014, 11:45 AM
i have to say i'm really enjoying listening to all the different takes on this theme. It's sober stuff but very thought-provoking as well as heart-string-tugging.... I, for one, have shed tears. A lot of thought has gone into these entries..... What a great bunch you all are here on the seasons.... Hats off to the lot of you.... And to geoff for the theme. Very worthwhile.....

....... Love and peace.....
here here!

xommen
07-16-2014, 12:47 PM
This song starts with the lines, open wide I'm ready for the battle, this fight this burning bed (so to me that makes it a "War" song). I have no idea what this song is really about but I like it. I had a better take (in theory) but it did not get of the camera in one piece ;-). I tried some new (to me) strumming technique just for fun. This is Alpha Rev - Sing Loud.

http://youtu.be/3GkbHU1085A

MikeOnTheUke
07-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Here's a song I adore, both for the music and the message. This was literally the first song that came to mind, and is one of the many songs that really rings through the spirit of peace and harmony in this world of violence. I don't know what else to say, but this is One Day by Matisyahu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GsGDTuI9sA

bonesigh
07-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Wow - powerful stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tv5gBa9DQs&amp;index=8&amp;list=RDsH4-fYIfC-E

One of the most beautiful songs often played on my ipod. In case anyone was wondering...Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Pie Jesu" from Requiem has been steadily increasing in popularity since its premier in 1985, massively in part to the large successes of Angelis, a six-member group of preteens created by Simon Cowell in 2006, Sarah Brightman (Webber's wife at the time), Marie Osmond, Charlotte Church, and Jackie Evancho. Andrew Lloyd Webber's Requiem was written to honor his father, who, sadly, passed away in 1982.

"Pie Jesu" English Lyrics
Merciful Jesus, merciful Jesus, merciful Jesus, merciful Jesus
Father, who takes away the sins of the world
Grant them rest, grant them rest
Merciful Jesus, merciful Jesus, merciful Jesus, merciful Jesus
Lamb of God, Lamb of God, Lamb of God, Lamb of God
everlasting
everlasting
Rest

wee_ginga_yin
07-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Some more Vera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1sthH51MDI

FiL
07-17-2014, 03:03 AM
Thanks for your version of this! It's especially cool to hear (and see!) the resonator along with the banjo-uke.

I had been planning to do this one for this season as well, but it wasn't sounding quite right to me. I had been playing it with C-F-Dm chord shapes, but after seeing you play it with G-C-Am chord shapes, I tried that, and hey presto!, so much better!

Thanks! Glad I could help you produce such a beautiful version. Love the 8-string picking!

- FiL

UkeyDave
07-17-2014, 04:38 AM
I've used up my 3 but what about Zombie by the Cranberries anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts
Oh and here (http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/c/cranberries/zombie_ver4_crd.htm) are the chords

DWitt
07-17-2014, 06:14 AM
Thanks! Glad I could help you produce such a beautiful version. Love the 8-string picking!

- FiL

Thanks so much! Do you do much picking with your 8-string? I've only had one for a little bit, and I'm still working out what I can do with it.

07-17-2014, 06:58 AM
I've used up my 3 but what about Zombie by the Cranberries anyone?

i can't possibly comment or divulge top secret information on this, but there might just be a collab on the go for this as we speak..........

cua94
07-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Ukeydave,
I have been practicing Zombies all week.
I just recorded it but haven't decided if it is good enough yet. Stay tuned!

RAB11
07-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Hmmm.... that Cranberries song might be worth a shout....

barefootgypsy
07-17-2014, 08:16 AM
The vast majority of soldiers' songs from WW1 could certainly not be sung in polite company. It was the only way they had of keeping cheerful, to be rude about the officers and NCO's and sing ribald songs. They were mostly set to known tunes, and hymn tunes were common, as in those days most people knew them. The first song here is one such, and is very mild, otherwise I would not be singing it. The second song is a harmless ditty learned at my grandfather's knee as a small child. He fought and was seriously wounded at the Battle of Polygon Wood, at Passchendaele, Ypres 1917. I do believe he and his brothers-in-arms sang it a lot. The jam was plum and apple, and universally hated. WWI army rations are worth reading about......

http://youtu.be/0lbRX3O4MhQ

dickadcock
07-17-2014, 08:37 AM
http://youtu.be/Oq_Jh4wXv7A

2 notes.
~ Someone, maybe Malvina, updated the lyrics to refer to "young folk", rather than laddies and lassies. (I'll have to watch it to find out which I used.)
~ Ft. Knox is referred to in the song. James Bond fans know it is the US gold repository.

Come to think of it, I can post the lyrics. My vid. is dark, but the chords are the 4 RnR chords in C, plus a D7, like 1000 songs you know.

We Hate to See Them Go
Notes: words and music by Malvina Reynolds; copyright 1958 Schroder Music Company, renewed 1987.

Last night I had a lovely dream.

I saw a big parade with ticker tape galore,

And men were marching there 

The like I'd never seen before.

Oh the bankers and the diplomats are going in the army.

Oh happy day! I'd give my pay to see them on parade,

Their paunches at attention and their striped pants at ease.

They've gotten patriotic and they're going overseas.

We'll have to do the best we can and bravely carry on,

So we'll just keep the young folk [laddies] here to manage while they're gone.

Chorus: 
 - Oh, oh, we hate to see them go, 

- - The gentlemen of distinction in the army.

The bankers and the diplomats are going in the army,

It seemed too bad to keep them from the wars they love to plan.

We're all of us contented that they'll fight a dandy war,

They don't need propaganda, they know what they're fighting for.

They'll march away with dignity and in the best of form,

And we'll just keep the [laddies] young folk here to keep [the lassies] each other warm.

- - - (Chorus)

The bankers and the diplomats are going in the army,

We're going to make things easy cause it's all so new and strange;

We'll give them silver shovels when they have to dig a hole,

And they can sing in harmony when answering the roll,

They'll eat their old K-rations from a hand-embroidered box,

And when they die, we'll bring them home, and bury them in Fort Knox.

- - (Chorus)

Tootler
07-17-2014, 08:51 AM
I've listened and comment on You Tube as far as Xommen's "Sing Loud". I'm off out just now so it'll be tommorrow before I can catch up with the rest. I'll also post some more extensive general comment here, but the high standard of entries is being maintained. Also I'm struck by the variety of songs which give different perspectives on the theme.

Keep them coming.

uke4ia
07-17-2014, 11:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZKnbbM9EdE

Well, I already did Richard Thompson's "Al Bowlly's in Heaven" back in Season 57. I don't have the aggression this week to do RT's "Dad's Gonna Kill Me" or Michael Franti & Spearhead's "Light Up Ya Lighter", and I don't want to do one of RT's looong ballads like "Woods of Darney" or "Guns Are the Tongues".

So this is a song called "Bring Us Home" that I wrote back around 1980, right after watching a meh movie about Vietnam POWs called "When Hell Was in Session" on HBO. I probably hadn't played this in 20 years before last night.

I'm hoping to also do XTC's "Generals and Majors" this week. I'm having a surprising amount of trouble with the whistling part.

Lyrics:

We marked the days with bits of nail against the stinking stone
Our bodies ached and writhed, we watched the flesh dwindle to bone
Eating whatever crawled inside
We cried out to observe our need overcome our pride

Just bring us home
Bring us home
Bring us home

They beat us until we broke, and then some more, I heard me snap
I gnawed my mind off to escape the clutches of the trap
I'm not the man that you once knew
How could I be, he wasn't build to stand what he went through

Just bring us home
Bring us home
Bring us home

greyghost
07-17-2014, 11:42 AM
I also may have a rendition of Zombie coming....we may need a Zombie playlist if everyone who's mentioned it follows through!

07-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Ukeydave,
I have been practicing Zombies all week.
I just recorded it but haven't decided if it is good enough yet. Stay tuned!
bring it sister!

Hmmm.... that Cranberries song might be worth a shout....
surely only mad impetuous fools would attempt it....................

I also may have a rendition of Zombie coming....we may need a Zombie playlist if everyone who's mentioned it follows through!
form an orderly queue ladies and gentlemen, and it matters not who is first, but blimey, i hope i am!!!!!!!!!!!

Phluffy the Destroyer
07-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Entry 1. A Phil Ochs cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnvqFtmDXiY&list=UUSMhUNXAPzA2g3pxLvDYhPA

Phluffy the Destroyer
07-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Entry 2: Another Phil Ochs cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19ffVtkY0hg&list=UUSMhUNXAPzA2g3pxLvDYhPA&index=3

Phluffy the Destroyer
07-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Entry 3: A Blue Oyster Cult cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQC3NeGpL_M&index=1&list=UUSMhUNXAPzA2g3pxLvDYhPA

cua94
07-18-2014, 12:39 AM
Here's my entry...I think I am first! Yippy!

http://youtu.be/I0tVpuT1hNM

wee_ginga_yin
07-18-2014, 12:42 AM
Here is the crux of the matter, your country called on you to fight, and when the fighting is
over and you are injured either physically of mentally there is often inadequate resources
for support or recovery. This is a Richard Thompson song I did some time ago which addresses
this unfortunate situation of abandonment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FpbEYvoJIg

FiL
07-18-2014, 02:45 AM
Thanks so much! Do you do much picking with your 8-string? I've only had one for a little bit, and I'm still working out what I can do with it.

Oh yeah, I love the sound of the 8-string fingerpicked, so I do it quite often, though looking through my videos, I tend to go for my banjo-uke when I want to fingerpick. This is one I did on the 8-string about a year ago: http://youtu.be/778EZGxVzCQ.

- FiL

UkeCan1
07-18-2014, 03:16 AM
Oh yeah, I love the sound of the 8-string fingerpicked, so I do it quite often, though looking through my videos, I tend to go for my banjo-uke when I want to fingerpick. This is one I did on the 8-string about a year ago: http://youtu.be/778EZGxVzCQ.

- FiL

Don't miss this one: http://youtu.be/cKX2pwwbw9k

First Seasons video I ever saw. Still one of my favorites. Inspired me to join the Seasons at week 4 of playing, and eventually to learn some fingerpicking ... I covered it for Tribute week.

(It was really hard to figure out fingerpicking on my four-string uke from FiL's video doing it on the 8-string! He has octave strings and I don't, so trying to figure out what he was doing by watching / listening to this video was pretty impossible for me. Not to mention it's fast!

I had to find one of him picking on the banjo uke to help me figure it out. Even then, in the end, I just worked out something that sounded "close enough" to my ear and went with it. Last week he showed me what he actually does ... and it's totally different than what I'm doing, of course.

Of course, I couldn't ask him while I was doing "Birches", because it had to be a surprise. :)

Anyway, now I have FiL's actual fingerpicking patterns in his notation, if anyone wants to learn that ... with his permission, of course.)

UkeyDave
07-18-2014, 03:44 AM
Dave, that was just beautiful.
Thank you Freeda.

UkeyDave
07-18-2014, 04:22 AM
i can't possibly comment or divulge top secret information on this, but there might just be a collab on the go for this as we speak..........
Ooooh errrr missus. I shall keep em peeled and look forward to it.

UkeyDave
07-18-2014, 04:24 AM
Great stuff. I may even do one myself and put it over on the misfits.

barefootgypsy
07-18-2014, 04:25 AM
For my third entry I was torn between Where Have All the Flowers Gone and one of George Formby's war-time songs - but I've decided to call it a day with this one. I've worked it out by ear but wanted to work in more pathos than a 3 or 4 chord arrangement would give - I'm actually quite pleased with the chord arrangement I've done - it does reflect that I have actually been learning something, while playing all the songs I like! I hope you like it too.

http://youtu.be/ZzG1OCXxHM8

Good byeee

Good D byeeeeeee, don’t Em7 sigheeeee A7

Wipe the A7 tear baby dear from your D eyeeeee

Though it’s Bm hard to Bb7 part I D know,

Em I’ll G+ be Em7 tickled to death to A7 go!

Don’t D cryeeeee, don’t Em7 sigheeee, A7

A7 There’s a silver A lining in the D skyeeeee,

Bon D soir A7 old D thing, Cheeri G o, B7 Chin- Em chin,

N’a A7 poo, toodle- A oo, good D bye!

we tigers
07-18-2014, 04:36 AM
Earlier this week I decided to not participate this week. Although I listened to a lot of politically and socially engaged music, I chose to not take this route myself years ago. I decided to always try to focus on beauty and not let the negative in.

And then yesterday happened.
A flight from our country to Malaysia got shot down over eastern Ukraine killing close to 300 people of which almost 200 are fellow Dutchmen. These events have hit hard in the Netherlands. Tragedy gets close when you people with friends on that flight.
And now I want to try and get a song done. A song about absence and distance. We'll see if we can get it done between the preparations for our summer vacation to France.

greyghost
07-18-2014, 06:13 AM
Here, as promised, is our take on Zombie. Grim song (appropriate for the subject matter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz0XL9bd590

greyghost
07-18-2014, 06:17 AM
Edit: Youtube displayed a simple word, with no explanation: FAILED. I don't know what went wrong, but I'm attempting to upload it again. When I do, I'll replace the link in this post. Meanwhile, I'll leave this here in case anyone's looking for the video...

Edit #2: Now the song is posted and working!!!

When the theme for this week was announced, 3 songs immediately came to mind, and I've decided to do all three (two of them with my son). Here is #2, and I believe this is the 4th Iron Maiden song I've done for the Seasons. Up the Irons! \m/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvjaJA1rg40

greyghost
07-18-2014, 06:19 AM
Here's #3--my son is participating again, but offscreen this time. He's heading off to college soon, so I'm trying to get him to do as many of these as possible this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmS_ULRsPtw

GinnyT11
07-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Earlier this week I decided to not participate this week. Although I listened to a lot of politically and socially engaged music, I chose to not take this route myself years ago. I decided to always try to focus on beauty and not let the negative in.
And then yesterday happened. A flight from our country to Malaysia got shot down over eastern Ukraine killing close to 300 people of which almost 200 are fellow Dutchmen. These events have hit hard in the Netherlands. Tragedy gets close when you people with friends on that flight.
And now I want to try and get a song done. A song about absence and distance. We'll see if we can get it done between the preparations for our summer vacation to France.

Good, Michael. You must go where your heart leads.

I'm sorry for the Netherlands to have lost so many people going about their own business. I offer our condolences.

Markwo
07-18-2014, 07:28 AM
I came up with a 2nd vid. This song is from The Decemberists.

http://youtu.be/_MOrA6XS89Y

DWitt
07-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Anyway, now I have FiL's actual fingerpicking patterns in his notation, if anyone wants to learn that ... with his permission, of course.)

Not sure which of you to reply to, but—yeah, that would be really cool!

DWitt
07-18-2014, 08:05 AM
My third entry and, I think, the most disturbing of the three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOQAIUcGdqs

bbbannister
07-18-2014, 08:12 AM
Hi All

Not been around for a while, but don't worry, I've been keeping an eye on your posts ;-)

Nice to have posted again...

http://youtu.be/Tz5Jrvclnjg

All the best

Bob

ukuloonie
07-18-2014, 09:33 AM
From Pete Seeger. "Last Night I had the Strangest Dream."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6UVLCkhx2U&feature=youtu.be

UkeCan1
07-18-2014, 10:46 AM
From Pete Seeger. "Last Night I had the Strangest Dream."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6UVLCkhx2U&feature=youtu.be

Ah, lovely, Drew! I've been working on this one too, since someone suggested it for a radio station "question of the day" yesterday morning on "dreams".

I figured it was the perfect song for both this and Eugene's Pete Seeger contest. I'd seen others do "double duty" songs for both, but I hadn't seen anyone do this one yet.

I'd have done it yesterday morning, but I decided it needed fingerpicking, and so needed more time and practice. It's almost there now, but alas, Eugene's thread is closed, and you've done such a lovely version here.

I'm still planning to do it ... either soon today, or later this weekend. I always loved this song. It's a beautiful vision, and I hope one day soon it comes to pass.

Tootler
07-18-2014, 11:21 AM
I've managed to catch up with all the entries to date. There is an interesting variety of songs and some excellent performances from various seasonistas. A good mix with anti war songs dominant but a few of you have chosen to do songs adopted or written by soldiers. One entrant in particular produced some pictures of his family in his videos to accompany his songs. That was really well done, Dave.

The playlist should be up to date but please check that your entries are included. One or two of you have posted old videos. I've not included them in the playlist even though they were relevant to the week as they are not new videos as required for entries to this week.

Tootler
07-18-2014, 11:27 AM

And then yesterday happened.
A flight from our country to Malaysia got shot down over eastern Ukraine killing close to 300 people of which almost 200 are fellow Dutchmen. These events have hit hard in the Netherlands. Tragedy gets close when you people with friends on that flight.

I hope you will be able to get an entry in, Michael but I understand if you don't.

What happened in Ukraine was disgraceful and sadly, I see the politicians all playing the blame game. They should keep their big mouths firmly shut until the facts have been determined - as far as they can be in such circumstances.

My condolences to those who have lost relatives.

Tootler
07-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Edit: Youtube displayed a simple word, with no explanation: FAILED. I don't know what went wrong, but I'm attempting to upload it again. When I do, I'll replace the link in this post. Meanwhile, I'll leave this here in case anyone's looking for the video...

I've had problems with failed uploads to You Tube in the past. As you say, no explanation. I'm glad you eventually succeeded in getting it uploaded, though.

mattydee
07-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Here's my entry for the week. I've been sad to have been too busy to participate much in these last couple of months, but I should be back on track now to be around every week for the foreseeable future. As a result of my absences, I misstated the season number, but it's pretty obviously for this week.

This is a song from Beck's Song Reader project, which he released a couple of years ago in lieu of a recorded album. He published (with the help of the gang at McSweeney's) a series of sheet music -- 20 songs or so to be recorded by all of us, as a throwback to when popular songs were shared in the home by way of sheet music, before recording was viable. I just received the set as a gift, so this is my first song from it. You can learn more about the project at the Song Reader site (http://songreader.net).

http://youtu.be/4Tr66ziVHXo

I had a second song recorded, as I was interested in both sides of this thorny issue. (I didn't like how it came out, so I won't post it here...) It was This is Why We Fight, by the Decemberists (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLSOzcEQjiE) -- not an anti-war song at all, rather an anthemic call to arms against oppression. It's all very easy to be a pacifist, and hate war, and I mainly fall on that side of things myself; but the lines are not that clearly drawn, and sometimes there's no other way to get out from under something. Sadly, diplomacy does not always work. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, and all that. The horrors and consequences are indeed terrible, but now and again, not always, and one hopes, not often, something needs doing. That's all I'll say on it. Thanks for a fascinating and powerful theme, Geoff.

07-18-2014, 12:31 PM
another song from me...

:bowdown: "gimme shelter" by :bowdown: the rolling stones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W7x7tU2buM

ukuloonie
07-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Ah, lovely, Drew! I've been working on this one too, since someone suggested it for a radio station "question of the day" yesterday morning on "dreams".

I figured it was the perfect song for both this and Eugene's Pete Seeger contest. I'd seen others do "double duty" songs for both, but I hadn't seen anyone do this one yet.

I'd have done it yesterday morning, but I decided it needed fingerpicking, and so needed more time and practice. It's almost there now, but alas, Eugene's thread is closed, and you've done such a lovely version here.

I'm still planning to do it ... either soon today, or later this weekend. I always loved this song. It's a beautiful vision, and I hope one day soon it comes to pass.

Go for it. Your version will be completely different than mine.

decaturcomp
07-18-2014, 01:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgDq7uVEMFg

Barbablanca
07-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Very near the end of the translation!!! Hoping to do three this weekend! Here you will find the lyrics of the first.

Baptism of Fire by Berni Armstrong

Am C D Am
I thought I would feel different now than I do.
C D
It still feels like a practice run,
C D Em
Seven birds of steel in formation at Mach One.

Radio silence maintained, we're instrument flying.
The stars are hiding their fires tonight,
And from the desert below not a glimmer of candlelight.

Bm F#m
We're closing in on target - Our objective will be seen,
C#m
In the glow of the screen before me.
D E
All systems showing green.

Blinding flash to my left - We're in for some flak.
Tracers spit their dotted lines of death,
Straight into the path of our attack.

Keeping a cool head, I'm making my run,
The guidance system is locked on,
Another second and my job is done....

C Am
Why is she shaking?
Why's she not responding to controls?
I press to eject - bail out –
D
Lord have mercy on our souls.

Em C D
I'm floating-While below me the flash turns night to day.
Em C D Em C D
I'm floating - Into that firework display.

I thought I would feel different now than I do,
It wasn't like this on the practice runs,
Six birds of steel returning -
One is gone.

http://youtu.be/SxNwsi9U_Ys

07-18-2014, 02:37 PM
oh wow look i found this amazing clip of pa brizzer being attacked by a horde of warlike seasonistas!

at least i think it's him, he's got a beard

and don't worry - he gets away in the end!

oh no hold on it's errol flynn in the adventures of robin hood

:eek:

obviously, that's all just a dream, this is merely an excuse to post a clip with :bowdown: basil rathbone in

my third song for this week - "dogs of war" by :bowdown: motorhead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ktq6pwEPdg

CeeJay
07-18-2014, 02:45 PM
oh wow look i found this amazing clip of pa brizzer being attacked by a horde of warlike seasonistas!

at least i think it's him, he's got a beard

and don't worry - he gets away in the end!

oh no hold on it's errol flynn in the adventures of robin hood

:eek:

obviously, that's all just a dream, this is merely an excuse to post a clip with :bowdown: basil rathbone in

my third song for this week - "dogs of war" by :bowdown: motorhead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ktq6pwEPdg

Dah da Dah ....I is back .......

Nice one Birds Eye...of course only Hollywood could do the Middle Ages and make it look so clean ...where's all the poo and stuff ?

...you had to get a Motorhead one in eh ? ...respec'....

CeeJay

decaturcomp
07-18-2014, 03:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxcYDGr5XGY

07-18-2014, 03:05 PM
ceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeejayyyyyyyyyyy! you're back!

yeah i'm glad they skipped the poo, basil looks really dreamy in that snazzy outfit, poo everywhere would just have spoilt everything

pabrizzer
07-18-2014, 03:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC75ZrW00Ag

Jazzbanjorex
07-18-2014, 03:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DECzCriLvgk&feature=youtu.be

07-18-2014, 04:59 PM
greyghost - re your "we need more metal" comment title - have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VznAYy5yL2A

Jazzbanjorex
07-18-2014, 05:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3AoLVeTDcw&feature=youtu.be

bonesigh
07-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Just a little something I made up today and it's....mine, mine, mine!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYzfWu-5pNA&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

UkeyDave
07-18-2014, 05:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3AoLVeTDcw&feature=youtu.be
Nice rendition Rex but I think the Scots may have something different to say about that statement.

Jazzbanjorex
07-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Nice rendition Rex but I think the Scots may have something different to say about that statement Rex.

What statement?

UkeyDave
07-18-2014, 06:48 PM
What statement?
I think you will find that "The Bonnie Banks O' Loch Lomond" is Scottish not Irish.

Jazzbanjorex
07-18-2014, 06:56 PM
I think you will find that "The Bonnie Banks O' Loch Lomond" is Scottish not Irish.

Oh! Silly me.
Thank you.

Jazzbanjorex
07-18-2014, 07:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYTD2fnvga0&feature=youtu.be

thesillydave
07-18-2014, 08:11 PM
a reflective song about Gallipoli from the Pogues....

http://youtu.be/3luw6TYjA2I

RAB11
07-18-2014, 08:36 PM
So uh. I've already made three entries. Lynda's already made three entries.

HOWEVER. The RABBEVIES, the supergroup UU wants but just doesn't know it yet, haven't made any yet.

Until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvEQtXY4FVE

:bowdown: for Lynda for agreeing to do this, and for totally not flipping out when I asked her to maybe play a bit slower, and for trusting in my very rusty and not-very-good-to-begin-with Garageband and iMovie skills.

:music::rock:

07-18-2014, 08:49 PM
woooooo! yeah BABY! i'm not biased, RAB, but that was so awesome!!!!!!!!!

yeah first vid from the rabbevies there, by my calculations, they could do another 2 songs for this season right?

RAB : if you think i am going anywhere near garageband and imovie again this side of christmas YOU ARE IN A DREAM WORLD :eek:

ME : oh ;)

seriously THANK YOU SO MUCH for inviting me on board, my RAB COLLAB experience was wonderful!

i have just one more thing to say................. :rock:

RAB11
07-18-2014, 08:55 PM
woooooo! yeah BABY! i'm not biased, RAB, but that was so awesome!!!!!!!!!

yeah first vid from the rabbevies there, by my calculations, they could do another 2 songs for this season right?

RAB : if you think i am going anywhere near garageband and imovie again this side of christmas YOU ARE IN A DREAM WORLD :eek:

ME : oh ;)

seriously THANK YOU SO MUCH for inviting me on board, my RAB COLLAB experience was wonderful!

i have just one more thing to say................. :rock:

By my calculations you may be right but we'll be half-way through Fred's season by the time it gets done if this week's anything to go by!

Joko
07-18-2014, 08:56 PM
It's been a tough last few weeks here in Yangon, Myanmar as it pertains to connectivity. I'm not the only one whose noticed. My friends and colleagues have mentioned as well that for whatever reason, our normally abysmally slow internet connections here in the armpit of Southeast Asia have become impossible. If any of y'all remember the late 90's when dial up speeds were talked about in 'baud'... Well, it's like we've gone from 24K baud to 300 baud. No one knows why. Even now, I've had to go to an internet cafe to upload, and a 4 minute vid at 'medium' resolution is taking an hour and a half to upload.

Forget about human rights and democracy. This country needs faster internet!

Actually, I just read an article in the local paper connecting the collapse of the internet to the arrival of the monsoon. Since when are weather and internet connected?

It's given me time to do other things like read books. Just finished one about Myanmar history, and it fits in well with this week's theme of war. Trivia question: what is the longest ongoing armed conflict in the world? That is, the longest war on the books? The Burmese Civil War. Started back in 1946 and has never had a moment of peace since. Some organized armed group, somewhere in this country, has been actively plotting to resist, shoot and kill the army of the central government non-stop for the last 68 years.

I'm sure songs like the one I cover by Bob Marley here are inspiration to all those rebels...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGXuwxCWRJc

Barbablanca
07-18-2014, 10:46 PM
I see there has been some frenzied activity since I posted late last night. So I'm adding a link here to my first offering, for those who don't check older posts regularly ;)

Rest assured, I am not doing a Nazi salute in the still they have chosen to illustrate this song. ;)

http://youtu.be/SxNwsi9U_Ys

barefootgypsy
07-19-2014, 03:22 AM
And the contributions keep coming. This day when we are all so sad and dejected about the Malaysian Airlines disaster. Innocent brothers and sisters from so many nations, mine and yours...

I saw a quote on social media today, attributed to Pete Seeger... "The job of the artist is to give people a song of hope, and if they have to sing it at the barricades to give themselves courage, then you have done your part."

Here's another Seeger quote - “Participation - that's what's gonna save the human race.”
And another.... “It's a very important thing to learn to talk to people you disagree with.”
And the last one ... “Come back to town. Bring your darn ukelele! We don't care anymore!”

Long live the Seasons and the participants. Just thinking......

Sammu
07-19-2014, 04:46 AM
Hi folks,

Here's my entry for this week. A campanella arrangement of Beethoven's Ode to Joy. Schiller's original text was apparently Ode to Freedom. I guess it's more about peace than war but seems rather poignant.

Here's a link to the tab…..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kooeskvi1t8c5sf/Ode%20To%20Joy%20copy.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx0Z7vPWT2c&feature=youtu.be

ksiegel
07-19-2014, 05:03 AM
I learned this one from the Woodstock Soundtrack, and performed it on 12-string guitar as part of production of "Story Theater" in 1974.

Wow. 40 years.

I think I play it better now.

http://youtu.be/6_1EORaxSJ4

-Kurt

bonesigh
07-19-2014, 05:32 AM
I know this does not belong here but in reference to your last P. Seeger quote it's at the end of this video I made for Eugene...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gedJ7qZS24&list=UUtvw_jkcOb--odK8_2JYyvw

MikeOnTheUke
07-19-2014, 05:36 AM
Well... I'm a silly, silly goose. On vacation with the family, and forgoty uke... looks like I'm done for this week. At least I'll have s bunch to listen to. :).

Barbablanca
07-19-2014, 06:49 AM
Here's my second entry. Written back in the 1980s about Latin America, sadly it can still be applicable to many places there and now more places all over the world.

http://youtu.be/kYiHmmwnYJY

Raygf
07-19-2014, 07:25 AM
My father Jesse (Army) and his brother Harold (Navy) served in the South Pacific during WWII. Grandpop served as a Chief Engineer in the Navy for his entire adult life (many of those years in submarines). My mother’s brother John (Navy) miraculously survived the attack on Pearl Harbor. Her other brother Leo (Army) fought the Germans in Europe. My Uncle Al survived a Nazi prison camp after being captured late in WWII. He was liberated by Russian forces. His son Al was a helicopter gunner in Vietnam. My oldest brother Jesse served in the Navy. My sister’s husband Mike (Army) was awarded The Bronze Star and a Purple Heart at the age of 19 while serving in Vietnam and now, because of exposure to the military-industrial complex’s herbicidal defoliant, Agent Orange, he will need to endure periodic chemo treatments for the remainder of his life. My Uncle Al and my Uncle Leo were the only two who seemed to return. The rest suffered varying levels of mental and spiritual wounds that changed them, some tragically.

I chose a few of the verses of Phil Ochs’ song, The War Is Over (1967), for my entry this week. I grew up listening to Phil Ochs during the Vietnam War thanks to my older brother Mike’s record collection. Ochs' music was banned from radio and he was tracked by the FBI. I still have a book of Phil Ochs songs that belonged to Mike. He no longer wanted it. I was young, about 8, when Ochs wrote and recorded this song and the time, the music and the message have stayed with me. I believe we are all wounded by war and we won’t ever get over it without real work.

Here are a few of my favorite Pete Seeger quotes and something from The Art of War translated by Thomas Cleary.
"If there's something wrong, speak up!"
"Songs won't save the planet, but neither will books or speeches."
“It’s a very important thing to learn to talk to people you disagree with.”
“A good song reminds us what we’re fighting for."
"Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't."

The prevailing attitude toward war that characterizes Sun Tzu’s manual: that it is destructive even for the victors, often counter-productive, a reasonable course of action only when there is no choice:“Weapons are inauspicious instruments, not the tools of the enlightened. When there is no choice but to use them, it is best to be calm and free from greed, and not celebrate victory. Those who celebrate victory are bloodthirsty and the bloodthirsty cannot have their way with the world.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wcssc3Mbg0

Barbablanca
07-19-2014, 07:56 AM
This next song is my "Greatest Hit" - in the sense that it has been recorded by more folk artists than any of my other songs (Roy Bailey & John Kirkpatrick recorded versions to name but two).

This song was truly gifted to me by the muse. I picked up my friend Cathy's Appalachian Dulcimer (which had belonged to her grandmother- who had been active in the Right-Wing Daughters of the American Revolution organisation in the USA) and never having played one before strummed out the melody for this song.. meanwhile the words "we were sixteen fighting women and they a platoon of fighting men" came into my head. I borrowed the instrument, rushed off and wrote the song down... or rather it seemed like the whole story was dictated to me from who knows where. I like to think this is a true story that I picked out of the ether ;).

Sadly, Cathy had the instrument stolen from her flat a few years later.

http://youtu.be/kQx69QISShw

wee_ginga_yin
07-19-2014, 08:30 AM
The soldier and the queen.
Some people love war and will kill to see it continue. (Official entry)

http://youtu.be/-OeJH3VRW00

ChrisDeston821
07-19-2014, 09:20 AM
I read somewhere that the Black Eyed Peas were I originally inspired by the Iraq war but inspired to me today by a protest re: Gaza today in town.

http://youtu.be/MjdQHQhz0-s

Sorry about the shoddy vocals and inconsistent strumming but it has just leathered it down today and I got soaked and now I'm home it's that real muggy, airless heat and yeah - but at least I got a second entry in (:

uke4ia
07-19-2014, 09:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9yc0ZT4QdA

Here's a cover of XTC's "Generals and Majors" on my new tenor Trigon Fluke. I didn't realize it until watching the playback, but the Fluke's design sort of reminds me of the cover of XTC's Drums and Wires album.

MikeOnTheUke
07-19-2014, 10:28 AM
My father Jesse (Army) and his brother Harold (Navy) served in the South Pacific during WWII. Grandpop served as a Chief Engineer in the Navy for his entire adult life (many of those years in submarines). My mother’s brother John (Navy) miraculously survived the attack on Pearl Harbor. Her other brother Leo (Army) fought the Germans in Europe. My Uncle Al survived a Nazi prison camp after being captured late in WWII. He was liberated by Russian forces. His son Al was a helicopter gunner in Vietnam. My oldest brother Jesse served in the Navy. My sister’s husband Mike (Army) was awarded The Bronze Star and a Purple Heart at the age of 19 while serving in Vietnam and now, because of exposure to the military-industrial complex’s herbicidal defoliant, Agent Orange, he will need to endure periodic chemo treatments for the remainder of his life. My Uncle Al and my Uncle Leo were the only two who seemed to return. The rest suffered varying levels of mental and spiritual wounds that changed them, some tragically.

I chose a few of the verses of Phil Ochs’ song, The War Is Over (1967), for my entry this week. I grew up listening to Phil Ochs during the Vietnam War thanks to my older brother Mike’s record collection. Ochs' music was banned from radio and he was tracked by the FBI. I still have a book of Phil Ochs songs that belonged to Mike. He no longer wanted it. I was young, about 8, when Ochs wrote and recorded this song and the time, the music and the message have stayed with me. I believe we are all wounded by war and we won’t ever get over it without real work.

Here are a few of my favorite Pete Seeger quotes and something from The Art of War translated by Thomas Cleary.
"If there's something wrong, speak up!"
"Songs won't save the planet, but neither will books or speeches."
“It’s a very important thing to learn to talk to people you disagree with.”
“A good song reminds us what we’re fighting for."
"Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't."

The prevailing attitude toward war that characterizes Sun Tzu’s manual: that it is destructive even for the victors, often counter-productive, a reasonable course of action only when there is no choice:“Weapons are inauspicious instruments, not the tools of the enlightened. When there is no choice but to use them, it is best to be calm and free from greed, and not celebrate victory. Those who celebrate victory are bloodthirsty and the bloodthirsty cannot have their way with the world.”

Glad I'm not the only one to glean some wisdom from SunTzu. So much brilliance and wisdom to be had. As a martial arts instructor, and a pacifist, I hold him as one of my idols/inspirations.

we tigers
07-19-2014, 10:32 AM
In 1995 Emir Kusturica made one of the best films about war ever made. Underground. In short it's a 170 minutes long story about weapon dealers in WWII Serbia that go in hiding underground with the rest of the village. Nobody ever tells the people underground WWII is actually over, so when they come up in the early nineties they think the war is still going on. It's an impressive piece of cinema with incredible music made by Goran Bregovic.
The most beautiful song on the soundtrack is sung Cesaria Evora from Cape Verde and is called Ausencia.

Ausencia means absence and the lyrics are about loneliness and missing a loved one. We have always loved this song and recent events with flight of Malaysia airlines going down in eastern Ukraine with about 200 fellow dutchmen onboard, have been an extra motivation to get this song done.

http://youtu.be/5SXUg9m0-qc

drbekken
07-19-2014, 11:12 AM
http://youtu.be/q-sVFBx58mI

Here's an original song, 'The Gaza Blues' or 'Nothing New Under The Sun'. It's played on a guitalele, and I forgot about the introductory words, so you must take it for what it is. I just hope you like the song. Kudos for picking such a theme.

Tootler
07-19-2014, 12:05 PM
By my calculations you may be right but we'll be half-way through Fred's season by the time it gets done if this week's anything to go by!

I'm exercising host's prerogative and I say that the Rabevies are a separate person for the purposes of this season. I've put you in the playlist anyway.

BigDaddyUker
07-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Hey All - I have been lurking for quite awhile but this is my first posting ever for Seasons of the Ukulele. I literally just came in from chores to record the video (wasn't sure of the deadline), two takes and uploaded to YouTube. Watched a bunch of the other videos earlier in the week and gotta say you guys are awesome. Most of the seasons have been out of my league. Excited about Season 125 but missed it. Looking forward to more...back to chores!!! Hopefully I did this right. Anything else I need to do?

http://youtu.be/a3w7XOM_FXM

Cornfield
07-19-2014, 12:34 PM
In 1995 Emir Kusturica made one of the best films about war ever made. Underground. In short it's a 170 minutes long story about weapon dealers in WWII Serbia that go in hiding underground with the rest of the village. Nobody ever tells the people underground WWII is actually over, so when they come up in the early nineties they think the war is still going on. It's an impressive piece of cinema with incredible music made by Goran Bregovic.
The most beautiful song on the soundtrack is sung Cesaria Evora from Cape Verde and is called Ausencia.

Ausencia means absence and the lyrics are about loneliness and missing a loved one. We have always loved this song and recent events with flight of Malaysia airlines going down in eastern Ukraine with about 200 fellow dutchmen onboard, have been an extra motivation to get this song done.

http://youtu.be/5SXUg9m0-qc

absolutely lovely

ChrisDeston821
07-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Just went into the town centre to record my third entry and completely forgot it was Saturday night.. Might still use the intro but I reckon ill do the song at home in the morning and blend the vid with some stills (:
Be rude not to considering where I live, just can't believe it took me this long to think of!

Tootler
07-19-2014, 01:09 PM
I've just managed to catch up with and comment on all the entries to date and the playlist is, hopefully, up to date.

There's some great entries and it's been a bit harrowing at times listening to some of your songs, especially those who have added their personal stories to the entry in the thread. Welcome to BigDaddyUker, a new member. I thought there was another but a quick check and couldn't see any other unfamiliar entries. Joko managed to get one in from Burma, quite a feat by the sound of it. Worse than dialup?

Oh! Of course. There's the new supergroup BevRab was it? Can't remember. It's just after midnight and I'm turning into a Zombie... or is it a Pumpkin. Brain is insisting on shutting down.

Anyway, there's another whole day and a bit to go or you can let that Fred Feller seduce you into doing something for S127. Will almost certainly be less harrowing than this one.

Keep them coming and let me know if I've left you off the playlist.

Cheers and sleep tight all.

07-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Hey All - I have been lurking for quite awhile but this is my first posting ever for Seasons of the Ukulele. I literally just came in from chores to record the video (wasn't sure of the deadline), two takes and uploaded to YouTube. Watched a bunch of the other videos earlier in the week and gotta say you guys are awesome. Most of the seasons have been out of my league. Excited about Season 125 but missed it. Looking forward to more...back to chores!!! Hopefully I did this right. Anything else I need to do?

your vid was great! welcome to the seasons! you did everything you need to do - we post here, vid plus a bit of chat if you fancy, and the host takes it from there - great job and welcome again!

and while i'm posting howdy doody to bigdaddyuker - thank you to our lovely host geoff for letting the RABbevies get away with that extra entry! :shaka:

Freeda
07-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Seriously debating another entry but I haven't got the bridge quite down. :/

CeeJay
07-19-2014, 02:17 PM
Seriously debating another entry but I haven't got the bridge quite down. :/

could be "A Bridge Too Far" then ? Sorry. I am the Seasonista unwelcome pest ......:rolleyes:

BigDaddyUker
07-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Thanks. Its amazing to read through the posts. The host puts up the theme and instantly people have ideas and songs in mind. It took me nearly the whole week to find one I could manage. Looking forward to see what 127 has in store.

Freeda
07-19-2014, 02:22 PM
could be "A Bridge Too Far" then ? Sorry. I am the Seasonista unwelcome pest ......:rolleyes:

Every thread has at least one. ;)

uke4ia
07-19-2014, 02:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyeKYQdYISg

I don't have time to do a third entry this week. But if I did, it would probably be the Freedonia war song from "Duck Soup".

Stephen Reed
07-19-2014, 07:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQXykzPTQw8 Was My Brother in the Battle, by Stephen Foster

Tootler
07-19-2014, 08:40 PM

You're only unwelcome if you don't put in an entry.

Now stop nattering & get recording. As of now, you've got approx 29 hours :iwant:

~dave~~wave~
07-19-2014, 10:27 PM
Supposedly Bob Dylan called this the greatest protest song ever written.

http://youtu.be/b2OhZSPRVWI

ChrisDeston821
07-20-2014, 02:47 AM
Irish descent and Worcestershire born; Jack Judge has a statue in my home town of Stalybridge, stood with a WW1 Soldier and this song's remembered as a song of that war, but it was allegedly written for a 5 shilling bet at the time. I went into to town to record when the lightbulb came on in my head and I remembered his statue but realised when I got there is was a Saturday night, plus my phone died so I couldn't plug my Risa in to get the audio as I'd hoped so although I did it, I've transitioned into a home video as the sound was shocking. Threw a few pics on the end too. :)

http://youtu.be/JroTzyCmpsE

UkeCan1
07-20-2014, 03:49 AM
I was on the lookout all week for a Pete Seeger peace or anti-war song that inspired me (and preferably had not yet been done), that I could use for both this theme and Eugene Ukulele's Pete Seeger contest.

And then, Thursday morning the WFUV Question of the Day was about songs that mention dreams, and someone suggested this one. I thought, "Of course!", and quickly learned the song.

I was going to make the video right away, strumming, but I kept hearing a certain fingerpicking pattern in my head, which I had not yet learned, so off I went to learn that.

In the meantime, Drew made his excellent video of the song here, and the contest closed. In any case, it's too great a song not to complete, so I have finished it. (Serendipitously, it's also a story song, so good for Season 127 as well.)

Here is my version of "Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream", with my new made-up hopefully Pete-Seeger-esque-ish fingerpicking pattern.

I hope one day soon this beautiful vision will come to pass.

http://youtu.be/FSngq4uYGrk

I should mention that although I learned this song from Pete, it was written by Ed McCurdy. Pete added a repeat of the first verse in his version, but Ed McCurdy felt the song was perfect as he wrote it. I have left out the repeated verse.

CeeJay
07-20-2014, 04:41 AM
You're only unwelcome if you don't put in an entry.

Now stop nattering & get recording. As of now, you've got approx 29 hours :iwant:

okayokay Please Sir I done this one...........

Season 126 -- Tootler .....War

100 Years anniversary Outbreak of The Great War

100 Year Birthday of this tune.....3 reasons for me to have fudged a version of this tune from memory this week.

The "Colonel Bogey March" was written in 1914 by Lieutenant F J Ricketts (1881–1945),

He had to use the pseudonymn “ Kenneth Alford “ because the military was a bit sniffy about personal and private lives in those days. And here I am serving up 2/3rds of it because in all honesty they are the only two sections that I remember.....whoops....

I think the tune is more synonymous with WWII than the First War ...especially given the rather racey and unofficial lyrics that became attached to it...but I've always liked it and yet the irony of martial and military music is never lost on me .... stirring and rousing tunes to entertain and yet to also move bodies of men about the land to engage in brutal conflict......War eh ? it's a bloody conundrum..

http://youtu.be/x03gTaYPUiI

GregTheGoldenEgg
07-20-2014, 05:20 AM
Hey I have never done this before but I think I just post my video here.
My War song is Rooster. I work with some Vietnam vets and this one really speaks to me.

Hope you like it and Happy Sundays.

http://youtu.be/6GLg84l2EkI

myrnaukelele
07-20-2014, 05:24 AM
This one's for my uncle, Michael Kelly, who died on D-Day.

http://youtu.be/hw0Jcx-F9ps

RAB11
07-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Hey I have never done this before but I think I just post my video here.
My War song is Rooster. I work with some Vietnam vets and this one really speaks to me.

Hope you like it and Happy Sundays.

Commented on the YooToobs but just wanted to draw people's attention to this. Fantastic playing and the sort of distortion on a uke I could only dream of. Great debut to the Seasons

CeeJay
07-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Season 126 of The Ukulele -- War

Solo rendition of this straight from the score of

Oh It's A lovely War....

http://youtu.be/7FzBrMPF6pY

decaturcomp
07-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Hi folks,

Started to not add this one. It might be mildly interesting to some of you I guess and it's done, so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11SxUv0mNzI

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
07-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Great Season, everyone. So many thoughtful, heartfelt choices and performances here.

One of my favorite albums is "Sandinista" by the Clash. Many of the album's songs were written about military conflicts around the world both at the time (c. 1980) and in the past. I did three songs from that album for this Season. I hope our English Seasonistas will appreciate this humble attempt at "Something About England"...

http://youtu.be/ePOZjC48CYo

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
07-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Here's another Clash tune. The closest thing to a title track on "Sandinista" is "Washington Bullets", which reminds us that wars in the developing world often serve as proxy wars for current and former colonial powers, and that the national interests of the colonial powers seldom coincide with the interests of the locals. Scary stuff.

http://youtu.be/0gQYGGDAwqw

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
07-20-2014, 11:34 AM
My third entry is the Clash song, "Charlie Don't Surf". This one reminds me of how the powers that be use perceived cultural differences between two nation's peoples to justify violent conflict. Scary.

http://youtu.be/aTH7shG5o4k

Thanks to everyone this Season for speaking your minds and singing your hearts. Thanks to Geoff for giving us the forum to do so. Peace.

Mark
07-20-2014, 11:41 AM
I saw a few other Phil Ochs covers but didn't see this one. Great stuff this week!

I ain't a marchin' anymore.

http://youtu.be/x6LpBxkbGhc

-nuff said.

Mark
07-20-2014, 11:43 AM
I was on the lookout all week for a Pete Seeger peace or anti-war song that inspired me (and preferably had not yet been done), that I could use for both this theme and Eugene Ukulele's Pete Seeger contest.

Here is my version of "Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream", with my new made-up hopefully Pete-Seeger-esque-ish fingerpicking pattern.

Thanks Wendi, nice work! This is one of my favorites from those years.... and more and more as each year goes by.

hiho
M

CeeJay
07-20-2014, 11:44 AM
My last entry is totally outrageous ..........but ya gotta love it ...or him anyway.....

http://youtu.be/0Bix112gXQ0

Mark
07-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Raises hand! ;^)

I have a question about the Playlist here:

Playlist: War Songs (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg2RZHnrXbUAMZtRDtmRZB4r0lDqHU_jM)

Does the week's host add the video or do we send a note -- or is there a kind of "add to a playlist" function in YouTube I haven't found?

Thanks!!

Mark

frisbee fred
07-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Raises hand! ;^)

Does the week's host add the video or do we send a note -- or is there a kind of "add to a playlist" function in YouTube I haven't found?

Thanks!!

Mark
The Week's host add's the video to the Playlist that he/she created. If you don't see it on the playlist just PM the host and he/she will add it.

Tootler
07-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Raises hand! ;^)

Thanks!!

Mark

I was just on the point of answering that, but Fred got in first.

However to add to Fred's reply. There is an "Add" button on You Tube just under the video on the left. It allows you to mark the video to watch later and to add it to various playlists. Only your own playlists, though - for obvious reasons I would have thought.

AFAIK, the Add button only exists on the website and not on phone/tablet apps.

Tootler
07-20-2014, 01:39 PM
I had hoped I would get up to date with the remaining videos to date tonight, but it was not to be. I've been at a local folk festival again today then they had the Monty Python reunion live on TV this evening so I somehow didn't get away to catch up with seasons videos. Naughty, Naughty, I know.

I've got as far as Myrna's lovely version of Last Night I had the Strangest Dream which so far has three versions, all different and all excellent. I'll try and catch up with the rest tomorrow but it may be Tuesday as I have some commitments tomorrow.

All the best. There are some great videos there, do look at them including a very impressive seasons debut from GregTheGoldenEgg.

There's still time to get your entries in if you haven't done so already. It's 12.40 am here in Britain so that's just over 10 hours you've got.

I'm in danger of becoming a pumpkin again so I'll away to my bed.

ksiegel
07-20-2014, 01:52 PM
I had hoped I would get up to date with the remaining videos to date tonight, but it was not to be. I've been at a local folk festival again today then they had the Monty Python reunion live on TV this evening so I somehow didn't get away to catch up with seasons videos. Naughty, Naughty, I know.

Just got back from the local theater a short while ago, Geoff. We went to see the world-wide broadcast of Monty Python Live (mostly) tonight. Not too shabby, regardless of the reviews. The Ad-libs were great, and seeing the sketches uncensored for a change was very nice. I loved the Steven Hawkings cameos, especially.

-Kurt

Freeda
07-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Okay, so there's still something wonky about the bridge, but here we go anyway.

Also, welcome to my bedroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_3XXJ6bBN4&feature=youtu.be

Edited to add that this is not an original. It is a Guns and Roses tune. There seemed to be some confusion in the YT comments.

Tootler
07-20-2014, 10:38 PM
Just got back from the local theater a short while ago, Geoff. We went to see the world-wide broadcast of Monty Python Live (mostly) tonight. Not too shabby, regardless of the reviews. The Ad-libs were great, and seeing the sketches uncensored for a change was very nice. I loved the Steven Hawkings cameos, especially.

-Kurt

The sketches were censored on the TV here because it started before 9pm. I do get annoyed at the prissiness of the broadcasters and their inability to be a little bit flexible on occasions. It's being "repeated" (edited highlights) on Tuesday at 9pm without the beeps. Not sure if I'll catch it, though.

TheUkeBloke
07-20-2014, 10:41 PM
Here is a quick take so I can get in before the deadline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnTQg3MRZ4c

Sound is a little out of sync, but I have not got my new recording setup properly sorted out yet.

mikef
07-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Time has beaten me this week... sorry Geoff. I'll keep the song I had in mind on standby. Great week though Geoff... a thought provoking subject for sure.

Tootler
07-21-2014, 12:04 AM
OK Folks. Time's up. It's been an interesting week to say the least. I've two more songs to listen to then I'll post some observations.

Tootler
07-21-2014, 12:41 AM
Well, that's it done. The week is over and it has certainly been interesting. There are 92 videos in the playlist. As two are mine, that means 90 entries. Looking back over the week there have been some great songs and the overall standard has been very high.

There was also some interesting discussion early on. I expected this topic to generate some heat though not quite in the way it came out. Nevertheless I think it did help to get people thinking about the topic and what we should be thinking about for the theme.

There were several very harrowing songs and harrowing performances. I know that one night after going through a lengthy list of songs, I felt somewhat drained.

On reflection, I have no regrets making this a theme. It's an important one which needs thinking about and it is appropriate at this time. While we may not approve of war, we should, nevertheless pay our respects to those who have fallen while fighting. Most wars were entirely avoidable but just occasionally a war becomes unavoidable and has to be fought.

I've spent most of the week trying to remember a song by Stan Rogers which sums up this dilemma very well and finally remembered it last night when I saw reference to it on the Mudcat Folk Music forum. It's called "Harris and the Mare" and you can listen to it here (http://youtu.be/bQSEn-SZzpM)

I've a good idea who I'm going to choose as winners but I'll say nothing more until I've sorted the closing video as I want to share another song with you in it. This time, I'll include the whole song.

Finally, If I've missed you off the playlist, please PM me and I'll add you in.

Mark
07-21-2014, 02:56 AM
Grazie!

Mp

GinnyT11
07-21-2014, 03:12 AM
This was a very interesting Season, Geoff. Some important and some really touching songs came out.

Freeda
07-21-2014, 04:57 AM
Agreed. My close ties to the military world (I am a Navy brat, Marine wife, Air Force vet and Navy mom) mean I usually keep my mouth shut over any such debates but I appreciate the civil discourse that occurred.

RAB11
07-21-2014, 05:15 AM
Agreed. My close ties to the military world (I am a Navy brat, Marine wife, Air Force vet and Navy mom) mean I usually keep my mouth shut over any such debates but I appreciate the civil discourse that occurred.

Same here. At one point I had four cousins and an uncle in the navy, one's since left, the other joined the RAF, one's still in, the uncle's left and the last cousin's leaving this year. And my little brother was in Army basic training, probably to be shipped straight out to Afghanistan, but dropped out in the end, and I myself work on a naval base while at the same time I'm very much against the wars we're currently waging.

Practicing a song about peace during my lunch break last week while people in uniform walked past was an interesting thing.

CeeJay
07-21-2014, 05:22 AM
Same here. At one point I had four cousins and an uncle in the navy, one's since left, the other joined the RAF, one's still in, the uncle's left and the last cousin's leaving this year. And my little brother was in Army basic training, probably to be shipped straight out to Afghanistan, but dropped out in the end, and I myself work on a naval base while at the same time I'm very much against the wars we're currently waging.

Practicing a song about peace during my lunch break last week while people in uniform walked past was an interesting thing.

Thing is RAB ...the guys and gals who wear the uniforms aren't warmongers ...they are peace keepers ....both sides of the same coin.......I know Pompeii Naval Base quite well ....and Pompeii ...used to live and work just across the oggin on the Isle of Wiggit.......strange place but fun....

RAB11
07-21-2014, 06:24 AM
Thing is RAB ...the guys and gals who wear the uniforms aren't warmongers ...they are peace keepers ....both sides of the same coin.......I know Pompeii Naval Base quite well ....and Pompeii ...used to live and work just across the oggin on the Isle of Wiggit.......strange place but fun....

Fair point Ceej. Still an interesting contrast though.

I don't work on the big on, not important enough for that. Mind's a different one.

Barbablanca
07-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Did we really have a whole War week without anyone doing two classics by Scots-Australian songwriter Eric Bogle

The Band Played Waltzing Matilda (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyzPP_DaTJY) sung by June Tabor

No Man's Land (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkhBvO8_kM) performed by the Author

Or did I miss them somewhere? These are the best songs ever written dealing with that brutal slaughter we give such a short three letter word to.

UkeyDave
07-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Did we really have a whole War week without anyone doing two classics by Scots-Australian songwriter Eric Bogle

The Band Played Waltzing Matilda (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyzPP_DaTJY) sung by June Tabor

No Man's Land (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkhBvO8_kM) performed by the Author

Or did I miss them somewhere? These are the best songs ever written dealing with that brutal slaughter we give such a short three letter word to.
Well I for one would have done "No Man's Land" if I'd been aware of it. What a beautiful moving song.

GinnyT11
07-21-2014, 09:00 AM
Being from a military family, it is sometimes hard to encounter people who think that military people are warmongers. In 1970, I was a college student at Ohio State, where antiwar demonstrations ramped up after Kent State to a level that closed the university. At the time, my father was 53 and piloting C-130s in Vietnam, moving troops and casualties for 2.5 years. He was also involved in some night missions to block the Ho Chi Minh trail, for which he received a Distinguished Flying Cross. (We didn't know about it till much later.)

After that he retired from the military. He looked for work in sales and one person he interviewed with said, "I know it's hard for you hired killers to find work."

elmann
07-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Barbablanca: No Man's Land ?
Bbannister performed Willy McBride, #53 in the playlist

ksiegel
07-21-2014, 10:38 AM
My father and his brothers all served in the military - my father's oldest brother was shot down over Japan during WWII, and spent somewhere around a year in a POW camp. The next younger brother served in both WWII and the Korean War. My father and his next two younger brothers were all in Korea.

When I was considering Military Service in the mid-70s after high school, all 5 told me not to enlist - go to college. If they want you, they will come and get you - and with some college behind you, you will have many more choices. So I registered for the draft, and that was that. My younger brother entered the Marine Corps after he finished Law School. 6 years USMC, followed by 6 years USAF - he is now a Lt. Col in the Connecticut Air Guard. Even though he never served in an active wasr zone, I can see how military life changed him from college onward.

My Service came as a firefighter for 24 years, but I worked with many Viet Nam vets and got a very good look at what they were going through. One of the guys had been a Seal - the most wonderful person in the world, caring, kind, calm, gentle... until he got a couple of drinks in him. Then the personality shift hit, and he was a killer, waiting for orders. And he hated that part of himself, but there was nothing available, counseling wise, for him to avail himself of. he Finally married a wonderful woman who had spent a lot of time as a mental health nurse, and hasn't had a drink in over 20 years - and has remained kind and gentle, all that time.

Soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines... They aren't the problem. It is, as Dwight D. Eisenhower said, "the military-industrial complex". The people who run the corporations and profit from war, the theocracies that violently advance their goals, the politicians who advocate for all of the above - sometimes they are one and the same. Those are the people for whom I have scorn - not the men and women who fight and die. They, and their families, are the victims.

Pete Seeger, a veteran,was anti-war. But he stated, on many occasions, that if the US was invaded by a foreign power, he would not hesitate to fight for his country. I'm with him on that.

-Kurt

Tootler
07-22-2014, 09:49 AM
The results are in.

http://youtu.be/KbMsJS3_uVc

Please will the winners PM me and let me know

1. Whether you want your real name or your UU name on the certificate

2. If you would like your certificate posting as a hard copy on some fancy paper or will email be OK. Let me know your address whichever.

Congratulations to everyone who took part. The standard overall was excellent and there were some great songs.

Now back to season 127.

elmann
07-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Excellent choice and Kudos to the winners!

lelouden
07-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Fantastic choices for the winners Geoff. I felt the same way about everything you said. Congratulations to all!

07-22-2014, 01:47 PM
great closing vid, big thanks for hosting, great season, and congrats to the winners!

decaturcomp
07-22-2014, 03:39 PM
What a jolly nice closing video Geoff!
I love your choices and the fact that you sang to us after the announcement.
I agree with you about the Crow on the Cradle song. Very good.

Congratulations to you deserving winners and to each of you who spent time thinking and singing about a difficult subject this week.

Jazzbanjorex
07-22-2014, 04:55 PM
I served 16 years in the USAF. I lost an uncle in Vietnam. I have several uncles on my dad's side that served in WWII.

My father spent 13 months in Stalag 17B after he was shot down.

No one in their right mind likes war.

Thanks for the season Tootler.

GregTheGoldenEgg
07-22-2014, 05:26 PM
Commented on the YooToobs but just wanted to draw people's attention to this. Fantastic playing and the sort of distortion on a uke I could only dream of. Great debut to the Seasons

Thanks for taking the time to listen and to comment. It was the first time i have ever attempted to play uke w distortion so I'm glad you liked it!

barefootgypsy
07-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Congratulations to the winners, they were my favourites too and really stood out for the reasons you said!

I'd like everyone who hasn't seen this to watch it now, please - it made a huge impression on me when I saw it as Drew's entry for eugeneukulele's Pete Seeger contest...... he won..... most deservedly. With the events in Gaza and Ukraine, I can't get this off my mind..... well done Drew!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPA4sBaSMFU

UkeyDave
07-22-2014, 08:13 PM
It seems odd to say "yay I'm a winner" but I will say it anyway "Yay I'm a winner".
Of course there are no winners where war is concerned but a brave and thoughtful season theme I thought and with the 100th anniversary of the First World War looming any day now I felt compelled to make my tiny tribute. There will be a lot of moving reminders for us here in the UK about the horror of war over the next few months as the first world war is sensitively tackled by the BBC.
Cheers Geoff and everyone who has commented and said such nice things about my video. It really does warm the cockles of my heart.
Peace.

mythinformed
07-23-2014, 03:05 AM
Congrats guys and all who participated.

Freeda
07-23-2014, 03:45 AM
It seems odd to say "yay I'm a winner" but I will say it anyway "Yay I'm a winner".
Of course there are no winners where war is concerned but a brave and thoughtful season theme ....
Cheers Geoff and everyone who has commented and said such nice things about my video. It really does warm the cockles of my heart.
Peace.

Pretty much ditto all that.

CeeJay
07-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Well , cripes ....did not expect that ....sorry Geoff ...Just back from some hard graft soaking up rays and paddling kayaks on Ullswater and a beer or several....absolutely delighted with the selection ...and in such august company as well as well as from an array of talent and super singers ....and for a silly song too ....but silly has it's place....Thanks Very Much and to everyone else who entered .........

CeeJay......

Chris Jarvis..... you choose Geoff ......either is right by me ...I'll PM you my e-mail address ...etc...Cheers

BigDaddyUker
08-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks Tootlier for a great season. It was my first season and difficult for me to find something but was an incredible season to start with. Your winners were spot on but must have been a difficult choice. So many brought so much emotion and skill and excellence to the table. Love this group and look forward to the new challenge each week. Thanks for your most excellent effort.