Season 126 "War"

Tootler

Reaction score

July 2014 sees the centenary of the outbreak of World War 1, so I felt it appropriate to include war songs as a theme for a season this month.

I see war songs as being from one of three overlapping types:

1. Songs written by the combatants themselves. Often critical of their leaders or descriptive of battle conditions and often to melodies of popular songs of the day.

2. Songs written about war by others. These can be pro or anti war and include songs written by tin pan alley writers, often but not exclusively, as propoganda.

3. Songs adopted by combatants. Often, these are simply popular songs of the day that the ordinary soldiers have adopted, sometimes as marching songs and sometimes simply sung during periods of recreation and often don't have any direct relationship to the conflict. Sometimes the same song can be adopted by both sides in a conflict.

I give these three categories purely as a guide. The point is to choose and record a song that in some way relates to war - for or against. If it's not obvious how a song relates to war then you need to explain the link - many songs popular with soldiers are like this.

The rules are pretty much as before with variants:
* The Ukulele should be prominent in your video but does not have to be present all the time.
* Maximum of three entries no bonuses please. If you want to do more send the rest to the misfit island.
* Multi tracking, use of effects etc. are permitted.
* Your entries should be a new recording made during this season.
* No entries before 00.00am Sunday July 13th and end 00.00pm Sunday July 20th Hawaii time.

Prizes will probably just be certificates.

Playlist: War Songs

The playlist is unlisted as several of you have your videos unlisted.

Edit just to add that I realise that some might think this is a little early but it is early evening here and I am off out in about 1/2 hour and probably won't be home till after midnight.

Last edited:
Had a feeling you'd go for this theme Geoff. Good one, got a few songs in mind already.

Dang, Geoff! This is a theme I'd completely written out to use if I were called on to substitute.

In my version of this theme, I would have also asked for war-era songs about non-combatants, like Keep the Home Fires Burning, We'll Meet Again, and Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree with Anyone Else But Me. They're not strictly about war--are those songs okay with you?

What is it good for?

?? He's referring to the theme not war itself.

Dang, Geoff! This is a theme I'd completely written out to use if I were called on to substitute.

In my version of this theme, I would have also asked for war-era songs about non-combatants, like Keep the Home Fires Burning, We'll Meet Again, and Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree with Anyone Else But Me. They're not strictly about war--are those songs okay with you?

Sorry, Ginny. I guess that given the time, it's likely the theme would have cropped up sooner or later.

Your suggested songs fit either in my categories 2 or 3. The verses of Keep the Home Fires Burning are pretty jingoistic and the song fits the theme perfectly. Somewhat surprisingly, the words were written by an American before the US joined WWI.

As I said, the categories are a just a guide to help you choose a song. As long as the song in some way relates to war that's fine.

If you're not sure apply the Thornton rule.

Last edited:
Ironically a song or two.

War, huh yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, oh hoh, oh
War huh yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, say it again y'all
War, huh good God
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, listen to me

Oh, war, I despise
'Cause it means destruction of innocent lives
War means tears to thousands of mothers eyes
When their sons go off to fight and lose their lives

I said
War, huh good God y'all
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, just say it again
War whoa Lord
What is it good for?
War, it ain't nothin' but a heartbreak
War, friend only to the undertaker

Oh war, is an enemy to all mankind
The thought of war blows my mind
War has caused unrest within the younger generation
Induction, then destruction who wants to die

War, good God, y'all
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, say it, say it, say it
War, uh huh, yeah, huh
What is it good for?
War, it ain't nothin' but a heartbreaker
War, it's got one friend that's the undertaker

Oh, war has shattered many young man's dreams
Made him disabled bitter and mean
Life is much to short and precious to spend fighting wars these days
War can't give life it can only take it away, ooh

War, huh, good God y'all
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, say it again
War, whoa, Lord
What is it good for?
War, friend only to the undertaker

Peace love and understanding tell me
Is there no place for them today
They say we must fight to keep our freedom
But Lord knows there's got to be a better way

War, huh, good God y'all
What is it good for?
You tell 'em, say it, say it, say it, say it
War, good Lord, huh
What is it good for?
Stand up and shout it, nothing

Read more: Edwin Starr - War Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Which I believe is what Mr Wafflesquirt was referring to ...before we start squabbling and having misunderstandings......

While you're waiting until you can post tomorrow, you can jam with me on this Fairport Convention war song I did a couple of years ago. The chords on the instrumental breaks are: Am Bb Bm

Code:
(Chorus:)
D                   G
Just a roll, just a roll
D                   G
Just a roll on your drum
D                   G
Just a roll, just a roll
        C   D     Em
And the war has begun

D                         G
Now the right thing's the wrong thing
D                  G
No more excuses to come
D                  G
Just one step at a time
        C   D     Bb
And the war has begun

(Chorus)

Instrumental Break 1:   Am    Bb    Bm  (repeated)

She's run away, she's run away
And she ran so bitterly
Now call to your colours, friend
Don't you call to me

(Chorus)

Instrumental Break 2:   Am    Bb    Bm  (repeated)

Don't you cry, don't you cry
Don't you cry upon the sea
Don't you cry, don't you cry
For your lady and me

(Chorus)
(Chorus)

Last edited:
Heres another you can sing along to before posting time. Where have all the flowers gone appropriate for 126 and Jon's Pete Seeger's contest.

Got a few songs in mind for this. One is a bit long and depressing, but still good. Gonna be a mix bag of feelings this week. Great theme for it

here's my one and only bonus song....just to get the ball rolling! the ukulites made me do this!

i'll try to do better with the real war songs

Dave said : here's my one and only bonus song....just to get the ball rolling! the ukulites made me do this!
i'll try to do better with the real war songs

See you've got a brand new leopard skin pill box hat.
How does your head feel under that?

By the way is that a beauty spot or a Robert DiNiro mole.
If it is the latter pleas ignore the above statement
I don't want you to think that I am looking at you Mr Bickle.

Last edited:
Yes I knew that.
And I like that song.
Hence the irony.
It is a song responding to war.

So fully understanding and certainly not squabbling.

Just checking.......;)

Don't want two tribes doing Frankies Trip to Hollywood thing.

Simple Song of Freedom

I was mostly familiar with Bobby Darin’s earlier crooner phase stuff, like “Mack the Knife” and “Beyond the Sea”, but a friend recently showed me this song from his later folk-rock phase, “Simple Song of Freedom”. Darin strongly opposed US involvement in Vietnam. He died just a few years after writing this song, at the age of 37.

An encouragement of Peace during the Vietnam War. Song by Pete Seeger. The lyrics, except for the title which is repeated throughout the song, and the final verse of the song, are adapted word-for-word from Chapter 3 of the Book of Ecclesiastes and set to music. This song is commonly performed as a plea for world peace, with an emphasis on the closing line: "a time for peace, I swear it's not too late."

Last edited:
Top Bottom