Anyone else have a banjo uke?

iamdanielle

Reaction score
I just got my banjo uke in the mail! It's a Tyler Mountain and it's beautiful. It came with the bridge detached so I took it in to my local guitar shop to have them deal with it since I had no idea what I was doing. Unfortunately the guy had never seen a banjo uke before and I kind of got the impression that he was guessing when it came to the placement of the bridge and so on. The strings are all buzzing a little and I'm not certain that it is supposed to sound like that.

Anyway, does anyone know how I can tell if he has placed it properly? Also, if you have a banjo uke, what kind of strings do you use? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

I LOVE YOU GUYS! :)

Attachments

• -14.jpg
    -14.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 32
  • -15.jpg
    -15.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 15
The bridge should be placed at twice the distance from the nut to the 12th fret. In other words, the 12th fret is located at the mid-point between the nut and bridge.

Just a guess but depending on the neck length (soprano, concert, tenor) couldn't you just measure the distance between the nut & bridge of one of your other ukes and place it the same distance? Should give you a good starting point. Use your tuner then to tweak it into its final position.
If you are getting a lot of buzzing, I bet he set the bridge too far back making the strings too low.

I've been looking at that brand of uke too. Are they mainly for picking or do they sound decent for strumming too?

The "nut" is the name given to the small strip of plastic (or bone, brass, corian, graphite, stainless steel, etc.) at the joint where the headstock meets the fretboard. Its grooves guide the strings onto the fretboard, providing the string placement across the fretboard.
Measure the distance from the edge of the nut, where the string leaves the nut, to the 12th fret. This is exactly half the string distance to the center of the bridge.

The "nut" is the name given to the small strip of plastic (or bone, brass, corian, graphite, stainless steel, etc.) at the joint where the headstock meets the fretboard. Its grooves guide the strings onto the fretboard, providing the string placement across the fretboard.
Measure the distance from the edge of the nut, where the string leaves the nut, to the 12th fret. This is exactly half the string distance to the center of the bridge.

Awesome. You learn something new everyday.

Thanks!!!

I don't have a banjo uke yet, but Mainland's not-yet-released model is on my list. I can't wait until it comes out!

Sorry to not be of any help.

Unfortunately I fear you have learned the first lesson of being a player of any fretted instrument in Ann Arbor, Mi...NEVER go to Herb David for anything!

When we get together next week maybe we can help, if you plan on coming to the OZ uke gathering still.

Unfortunately I fear you have learned the first lesson of being a player of any fretted instrument in Ann Arbor, Mi...NEVER go to Herb David for anything!

When we get together next week maybe we can help, if you plan on coming to the OZ uke gathering still.

Definitely planning on it! I'll bring it for sure. Thanks Zak!

nice banjolele, u already got the info u needed hehe, just wanted to say nice banjolele, i was just playing the banjolele before work. u should check out George Formby he's a beast. some videos on you tube. his voice is not my thing but his playing is magical.

I don't have a banjo uke yet, but Mainland's not-yet-released model is on my list. I can't wait until it comes out!

Sorry to not be of any help.

I, too, am anxiously waiting to see the Mainland banjo uke. Does anyone have an expected release date on Mainland's banjo uke?

Definitely planning on it! I'll bring it for sure. Thanks Zak!

Well...I may no longer be able to come! My wife was due on Monday, but here we are two days late to have our baby. Right now, if he does not come, we are scheduled fro an induction on Monday, which leaves me in the hospital still come tuesday evening. Lets see...let's hope the little dude shows up before the weekend!

Top Bottom