Dreamy Eyes - Roy Smeck

Another killer tune from Johnny.

I see what you mean, you have those strong hands of a carpenter--big and tough--and yet you play that loud, little baby like it was air. Honestly, all those that complain of "big fingers, can't play soprano" need to watch your videos. So deft. So subtle, yet hearty dynamic range (loud to soft transitions). Lovely.

I see what you mean, you have those strong hands of a carpenter--big and tough--and yet you play that loud, little baby like it was air. Honestly, all those that complain of "big fingers, can't play soprano" need to watch your videos. So deft. So subtle, yet hearty dynamic range (loud to soft transitions). Lovely.

Ha! Thanks... The bigger hands part I think helps. I can reach 12th fret without even really moving my hand half the time... lol The ironic part is that now I've played soprano so long that tenor feels too big... :)

I think the Gibson is responsible for a lot of the volume range. I have it strung with guts on the middle 2 strings and I've been making it a real point lately to not play too hard and to even play nice and soft with the thumb during certain parts just because it sounds pretty. The soft and mellow mid tone of the guts with the high end melodies of the nylon on the other 2 strings is making for a very responsive and easy to play ukulele, that's for sure.

Well said!

I'm working on this one too, on the Gibson tenor. I feel to play it slower, according to the "dreamy" title. Is there a recording of it by Roy Smeck ?

No recording that I could find online. That's just the tempo it popped out. Would be nice slower.

Very nice music to play, the Roy's waltzes I'm working on a triad, Music box, Magic ukulele and Dreamy eyes... Some older pieces from the early method (1928) by Roy are nice too (and easyer) like Harp echoes.
I'm looking now for a soprano Gibson ;-)

Top Bottom