Bob Marley on the Ukulele

DazW

Reaction score
Any Bob fans on UU? I didn't listen to much else in my teens (20 yrs ago now) and have always loved his music. I only recently started playing around with some of my fave Marley songs on the uke and it really seems to suit the ukulele sound, just a one finger strumming pattern with a muted chord sounds great and resembles that very woody, percussive sound of Bob's old recordings. 'Natural mystic', 'War/No more trouble', 'Concrete Jungle' and 'So Jah Seh' being some of my favourites.
I tend to mainly focus on the music side and try to reproduce melodies on the Uke rather than playing the chords and singing along (mainly cos Its not easy or appropriate to sing in Yardie when you're an Englishman pushing 40) :rolleyes:
I have seen a few Ukulele videos on YouTube of his big hits, 'No woman no cry', Is this love' etc, but would love to hear some renditions of other songs.
I'm so glad I was such a fan in my younger years as I now know his songs inside out which gives me a big catalogue to have a go at playing!

Last edited:
let's hear some samples!

Any Bob fans on UU? I didn't listen to much else in my teens (20 yrs ago now) and have always loved his music. I only recently started playing around with some of my fave Marley songs on the uke and it really seems to suit the ukulele sound, just a one finger strumming pattern with a muted chord sounds great and resembles that very woody, percussive sound of Bob's old recordings. 'Natural mystic', 'War/No more trouble', 'Concrete Jungle' and 'So Jah Seh' being some of my favourites.
I tend to mainly focus on the music side and try to reproduce melodies on the Uke rather than playing the chords and singing along (mainly cos Its not easy or appropriate to sing in Yardie when you're an Englishman pushing 40) :rolleyes:
I have seen a few Ukulele videos on YouTube of his big hits, 'No woman no cry', Is this love' etc, but would love to hear some renditions of other songs.
I'm so glad I was such a fan in my younger years as I now know his songs inside out which gives me a big catalogue to have a go at playing!

If you like Marley, consider trying a little Jimmy Cliff (Wonderful World, Beautiful People; i Can See Clearly Now, etc.) as well.

If you like Marley, consider trying a little Jimmy Cliff (Wonderful World, Beautiful People; i Can See Clearly Now, etc.) as well.

Hi, yes I do recall a few Jimmy Cliff songs, 'The harder they come' was my favourite, which was the soundtrack for a film if I remember rightly

let's hear some samples!

I will get around to making some videos eventually! For the time being Im happy to just entertain myself. I'd consider myself a fairly competent player but we all know what usually happens when you hit that record button! Fingers turn to jelly, especially when it's going to be posted for the masses on UU!

Totally agree - Love Bob Marley's music. At the age of 16, some 20 years ago, I got a 4-CD Bob Marley collection that I loved. It's all good. Lots of the songs are pretty basic chords - usually 3 or 4 chords - so it's definitely good for the uke.

Ah well, and there was me expecting to see some pictures...

Slightly off-topic, but someone mentioned Jimmy Cliff. He appears and performs a lot of songs in Club Paradise

For some reason, I really like this film.

Ah well, and there was me expecting to see some pictures...

Sorry, I just realised the thread title could be misleading. Here's one for you, he's holding a gorgeous old Martin in his left hand just out of shot :)

image.jpg

http://youtu.be/3v6bu3xVRwY

Here's one I did a good while back. It's on the CATCH A FIRE album, and I believe it's really a Peter Tosh song....Oh, well...

Thanks for that, that's a really nice version. Peter Tosh had a great voice, from what I've read there was sometimes a bit of a battle between him and Bob for lead vocal duties in the early days

I can play the break part of Is This Love, but that's all. Saw him in cocnert many moons ago, and wow, what a genius of an entertainer!

I can play the break part of Is This Love, but that's all. Saw him in cocnert many moons ago, and wow, what a genius of an entertainer!

Wow! What a privilege to see him live. Is this love chords are easy enough aren't they but putting it all together with the riffs and rhythms is another matter, I'm still working on it!

Top Bottom