Recommendations for strings on a Kiwaya Concert?

Hawkshaw

Reaction score
I have just gotten a mahogany Kiwaya concert. A bit beat up but very playable. It is missing two strings, so I'll be getting new ones. Any recommendations for strings would be appreciated. Also will a MiSi pick up work on it? Thanks

I'm using Worth Browns on my Kiwaya concert. Its a bright uke, so mellow strings work best IMHO - unless you want a lot of bark in your sound. I also liked Aquila strings on it, but I prefer the feel of the Worths. That's just a personal preference, though. I also have some Savarez strings and a D'Addario Nyltech set that I will try on it someday but I have been so pleased with the Worths that I haven't felt the need to experiment further.

I prefer my Kiwaya for solo arrangements of oldie jazz (like Ukulelezaza) and also for fingerstyle classical. There is a lot lf clarity and separation, so it works well as a solo instrument. its not my first choice for hawaiian music, and I didn't like the way it sounded with low G, at least compared to my koa tenor. I find my Kiwaya to be very responsive instrument, with nice crystal clear tone. Not at all like Hawaiian-made concert sized ukes I have played (which I love just as much, but in a different way).

If you find other strings that you like on yours, let me know. Enjoy your new instrument!

Last edited:
I did love Fremont Blacklines, either Hard or Mediums (I couldn't feel or hear the difference) on my Kiwayas, or any mahogany ukuleles. LucysUkulele on eBay is a good seller. Elderly instruments also has then.

I have never installed a pickup on a Kiwaya concert, but assume that it can be done. :)

I used to use Martin M600 on my Kiwaya, sounded lovely.

Mine came with the Fremont black strings and I replaced them with an Aquila white concert set. They made a big improvement, to my ear.

Top Bottom