Baritone Uke or Banjolele?

skeep222

Reaction score
First off, this is my first post here so... hey!

Now the real nitty-gritty.

I wanna start busking with my friend when I go with him on vacation. He'll be on guitar and I'll be on uke.

So the question is, which of these types of ukes should I get?

They're both louder and have more presence than your standard soprano or concert ukulele, which I have, and I have access to bothe thru local music dealers but I'm not sure which better suits my needs. Here's the pros for each I've worked on so far:

Baritone-

~Still louder than my concert
~Stylistically would work well with my friend's guitar, aesthetic and sound wise
~Cheaper than the Banjolele

Banjolele

~again, louder
~Has a certain "weird" style factor that I think will draw people in as opposed to something which sort of looks like a small guitar
~The plunky sound and little reverb might add a nice sort of juxtaposition with the deep and drawn out rumbles of the guitar

those seem to be the only main points I can think of at the moment. As for use after busking, I've wanted to get both of these suckers for a long while and inevitably I'll end up with them both at some point, but I'd just like a little advice on which one works best for the job at hand.

Thanks a bunch!

Ben

I wanna start busking with my friend when I go with him on vacation. He'll be on guitar and I'll be on uke.

They're both louder and have more presence than your standard soprano or concert ukulele, which I have, and I have access to bothe thru local music dealers but I'm not sure which better suits my needs. Here's the pros for each I've worked on so far:

Baritone-

~Stylistically would work well with my friend's guitar, aesthetic and sound wise

Banjolele

~again, louder
~Has a certain "weird" style factor that I think will draw people in as opposed to something which sort of looks like a small guitar
~The plunky sound and little reverb might add a nice sort of juxtaposition with the deep and drawn out rumbles of the guitar

those seem to be the only main points I can think of at the moment. As for use after busking, I've wanted to get both of these suckers for a long while and inevitably I'll end up with them both at some point, but I'd just like a little advice on which one works best for the job at hand.

Thanks a bunch!

Ben

why not both in one ? goldtone makes a baritone banjolele
http://www.goldtone.com/products/details/w/instrument/434/bub-baritone-banjo-uke

I would lean more towards the banjolele. Which models are they?

Another option might be to amplify the concert with a belt clip amp like the Honeytone.

Both! Go into hock for it! Put up a sign..."Please help crowdsource my instruments!"

Just remember, it's like with those you desire...one's too many and a hundred ain't enough...

These really are two very different instruments, so my reservation would be - What is your repertoire like? - If you and your friend both sing similar material, and especially if you duet, I think the baritone ukulele would compliment the guitar (and vice versa). You can figure out who takes lead and who plays rhythm on a tune-by-tune basis. If, however, you are two uniquely different artists, then a banjo-ukulele would further help separate you. A banjo can be a very nice rhythm/back-up instrument if played conservatively, whilst standing out on it's own by virtue of it's characteristics when appropriate :)

The kind of ukulele you have really doesn't matter if one instrument sticks to chord rhythm and one instrument plays harmony or picks. What you don't want is for the two instruments to be in conflict.

Whatever you do, I'd recommend taking a few hours practice together (or more if you need it) to work out who plays what when and how before you hit the streets. Unless you've played with this guy before, you're going to want to get the kinks worked out well in advance.

A small uke would be fine if you amplify it. Lots of battery powered amps available and installing an inexpensive pickup is not rocket science if you can drill a clean hole.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Definitely not looking to amplify it, that opens up a whole new can of worms regarding permits for amplified instruments as well as power sources etc.
I think I'm going to go for the baritone uke as a bunch of unforeseen expenses have popped up recently and it's the cheaper option. Thank you all for the input!

Thanks for the replies everyone! Definitely not looking to amplify it, that opens up a whole new can of worms regarding permits for amplified instruments as well as power sources etc.
I think I'm going to go for the baritone uke as a bunch of unforeseen expenses have popped up recently and it's the cheaper option. Thank you all for the input!

...oh ...well okay ...always late to the boat....what I would say is that to my ear and mind (and that is not a place you want to go:rolleyes:) a guitar and a Bari is like a guitar and 2/3rds of a guitar ...no offence to either instrument I play a geetar ...well trades description act and all that ...I know how a guitar should be played...I would have suggested the uke banjo... you can play it like a uke ...you can play it like a banjo....finger style rolls or clawhammer bum diddy ..so the two instruments contrast and compliment...but now ...crushed ...I'll sip some whisky.....

Cheers

'When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro'

Banjolele.

And welcome aboard.

Baritone-

Banjolele

~again, louder

Thanks a bunch!

Ben

Top Bottom