PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele Festival

Rllink
07-14-2014, 03:59 AM
I just returned home from the Mighty MO Ukulele Festival in New Haven, MO. I post this here, because this is the beginner's forum, and I'm a beginner. I started in April, I've been going through Ukulele Aerobics and I've been learning chords, playing songs, and just sort of working my way down the road to stardom. I've been playing for my wife a little, entertaining the neighborhood from my front porch on occasion, but pretty much, I've been on my own. So what I'm saying is that I was ready to take the next step, and the Mighty MO Ukulele Festival was probably the best thing that has happened to me at this point.

I think that I learned so much there, and I could see, feel, and hear, a lot of progress over the three days. There is nothing like sitting in with a large group of people and just absorbing their collective knowledge and talent. It doesn't take long in that sort of environment for those hard chords to get easier and the changes to come quicker. I learned so many little tips and tricks and slight of hand that make me sound a lot better than I really am, both in the great workshops that they had, but also just hanging and playing with other uksters. There isn't enough time for me to tell what all I learned, because I learned a lot.

The point of this post is that if you are a beginner, go out and find a uke festival somewhere this summer, soon, and dive in. You will not regret it. Join in on every jam, and if you get lost just mute the strings and strum like crazy until you figure out where you should be, (one of the tricks I learned) and when you catch up play loud and sing loud and have a ball with it. I'm just saying, get out and do it.

DownUpDave
07-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Glad you had such a good time, it definitely comes across in your post. I have never been to a Ukulele festival but I will be this summer so thanks for the two thumbs up.

I am fortunate to go to a weekly uke jam with 70 - 90 other people. The muted string "New York strum" is an invaluble little trick that keeps you in the song. If you can find a uke jam or meet up, GET THERE. Even if it is over 1 hour drive each way. Nothing like a weekly jam session to stretch you and make you better.

Now the big question...........see and play any ukes that have given you a serious case of UAS while you were there.;)

Ukejenny
07-14-2014, 05:50 PM
A big amen to all of thee above!!!

I was a lonely uke player, so I started a group and we are having so much fun. They are great people. And we are going to try to pull off the Alabama Uke Fest this September. Can't wait!

Rllink
07-15-2014, 03:43 AM
G
Now the big question...........see and play any ukes that have given you a serious case of UAS while you were there.;)Yes, there were a lot of ukes that I would have liked to have, but I was pretty good about not buying one. However, there was a very nice older lady there with several used ukes and she was selling them. There was one there that I thought was interesting because it was made of bamboo. Anyway, the last day she suggested that I take it home on loan and save her the trouble of hauling it back. So I obliged her. I think though that I'm still a one uke man, as I was looking at them in general with the thought that I would like to replace the one I have, not add another, and while this bamboo one is nice, I don't think I want to replace mine with it. I'll probably get it back to her sooner than later. I was particularly interested in a Mainland.

PhilUSAFRet
07-15-2014, 03:56 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience. Other beginners take note! Get thee to a uke group.

DownUpDave
07-15-2014, 05:01 AM
Yes, there were a lot of ukes that I would have liked to have, but I was pretty good about not buying one. However, there was a very nice older lady there with several used ukes and she was selling them. There was one there that I thought was interesting because it was made of bamboo. Anyway, the last day she suggested that I take it home on loan and save her the trouble of hauling it back. So I obliged her. I think though that I'm still a one uke man, as I was looking at them in general with the thought that I would like to replace the one I have, not add another, and while this bamboo one is nice, I don't think I want to replace mine with it. I'll probably get it back to her sooner than later. I was particularly interested in a Mainland.

You know I like to tempt you about being a one uke man. I do think that is a good way to go, you get comfortable and good with just one.

But they do make them in different sizes for a reason...............just saying:rolleyes:

Rllink
07-15-2014, 09:48 AM
You know I like to tempt you about being a one uke man. I do think that is a good way to go, you get comfortable and good with just one.

But they do make them in different sizes for a reason...............just saying:rolleyes:Well, For now I'm a one uke man, and I'm basking in my superiority because I have not succumbed to UAS, but inside I know that sooner or later it will happen. ;) When it does I'll humbly eat my words. Actually, maybe I need to start eating my words right now, because I'm looking at two ukuleles even as I post this.