Best Soprano Ukulele for Intermidiate to Advanced players?

MassPrimeSyndicate

Reaction score
Righ now I have a Kala KA-TG Tenor uke, Luna High Tide Concert uke, and a Kala KA-15s Soprano. I love all of my uke's except for my Soprano. It was my first uke and I had a lot of fun with it, but know it just feels like a toy. I want to get a new soprano but don't know where to start. I would want it to be all koa and made in Hawaii. Any suggestions?

I want to get a new soprano but don't know where to start. I would want it to be all koa and made in Hawaii. Any suggestions?

I'd recommend either a Kamaka HP-1 pineapple soprano or a Koaloha longneck pineapple soprano. You can't go wrong with either! Personally for sopranos, I prefer the fuller sound of the pineapple over the more traditional figure-8 shape.

Thanks for those links!

I too am searching for a 'move-up' soprano, one with a wide fingerboard to accommodate my gnarled sausage fingers :eek:ld:

I was looking to spend around $400-$600, but if a good koa hawaiin made ukulele costs $900 then I will be willing to spend up to that

I was looking to spend around $400-$600, but if a good koa hawaiin made ukulele costs $900 then I will be willing to spend up to that

$900 is about ballpark MSRP for a new Hawaiian koa soprano, unless you happen to find one used. I think there are a couple brands like this one that aren't *really* made in Hawaii that sell for less; there might also be some "acacia" brands for less that are related to koa but not *really* koa.

LM

Hawaii Music Supply might have what you're looking for MSS-4 solid mahogany soprano (http://www.theukulelesite.com/islander-mss-4-solid-mahogany-soprano-ukulele.html).

One of the features it points out is "Also to note is the 1 1/2" nut width. This makes it easier for someone with larger hands." From the HMS home page go to Ukulele Market --> Specials, 2nds, vintage & used.

Hopefully that helps your fingers.

Matt

I understand that. That is why I directed the response towards the other poster, LM in Kentucky, to possibly help with his finger issues/search for a wider nut.

MT

I understand that. That is why I directed the response towards the other poster, LM in Kentucky, to possibly help with his finger issues/search for a wider nut.

MT

Ah, got it - didn't realize LM was the poster, thought it was an abbreviation that I just didn't know! :)

What about the KoAloha Soprano Pikake? It has a Koa body with a Sapele neck.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/koaloha-soprano-pikake-ksm-10-3.html

Great recommendation - a Koaloha Pikake was my first "good" uke and it was excellent! Sounded and played like a dream (and had a much nicer tone than other figure-8s I had tried). Only reason I sold it was 12 frets weren't enough for me.

I'm probably going to be looking seriously at solid koa sopranos myself this autumn. And because I've been so happy with my Kanile'a Islander MSS-4, I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the Kanile'a K1-S?

Checkout the KoAloha Opio for $369. It's not koa but just listen to the sound sample vs the koa version. Pretty close!

I think the Ko'Aloha Sopranos have the best sound/tone of the K brands more traditional sound....
try looking at a long neck Soprano.....

but at your price range you can get any K brand Soprano....go by what sounds best to you...or call Corey at HMS....:)

Checkout the KoAloha Opio for $369. It's not koa but just listen to the sound sample vs the koa version. Pretty close!

I checked this one and it's not to bad. The Koa version sound better, but for the price its awesome.

I think the Ko'Aloha Sopranos have the best sound/tone of the K brands more traditional sound....
try looking at a long neck Soprano.....

but at your price range you can get any K brand Soprano....go by what sounds best to you...or call Corey at HMS....:)

Best soprano sound in my opinion is Ko'Aloha or vintage Martin Style O.

The KoAloha Pikake is a very good choice for the money. I am primarily a soprano player and really like their tone and playability. They are loud and ruckus sounding, if that makes any sense. The action at the nut is also very low, with no buzzing, so playing chords is very comfortable. I was in San Jose a few months back and played a couple of KoAlohas at the Ukulele Source shop in Japantown. You should also seriously consider a Kiwaya KTS-4. I own one and absolutely love it!!! And best of all, they are cheaper than the KoAloha. The tone is rich and complex, though not as loud as a KoAloha, and the build quality is better than any ukulele that I have played so far; this includes KoAlohas, new Martins, and Kamakas.

Top Bottom