Best Low-G Strings?

MassPrimeSyndicate

Reaction score
If you don't mind wound strings, the Southcoast HML-RW are great. If you prefer unwound, try Worth, Living Water or PhD.

I just bought a set of Aquila reds....havnet been home enough to put them on....I will let you all know how I like them soon.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a "best string"; there is best for you. Uke strings are cheap enough for experimentation.

I personally like Savarez Yellow Card all-wound classical guitar strings...the D to the high E...for low G to A tuning on my tenor. They'd be kind of floppy on a soprano, though. What I like about them is that they are incredibly consistent tonally from string to string. The fretted C on the 4th string sounds just like the open C 3rd string; the fretted E on the 3rd string sounds just like the open 2nd string, and the fretted A on the 2nd string sounds just like the open 1st string. Harmonics are true, and there's none of the tubbiness like I hate in the plain "G's" that I've tried.

I have a low G wound La Bella on my Fluke and it's very nice. and no finger noise if that matters to you. I think it might be their guitar string but when I had my Fluke made with the wood fretboard that's what they put on it. I know they sell them there individually as their low G offering.

My low G string of choice is the Fremont Soloist.

I second that. In addition to sounding good (no wound string screech), they come as individual strings. No need to buy a full set like you have to do with the Southcoasts in order to get the one smooth-wound low G.

Finger squeak can be eliminated by very lightly sanding the tops of the wound strings with 400 or 600 grit sand paper. Just a few strokes does the job.

I like Worth browns the best, but have been happy with Fremonts too. I'm not a fan of wound low G strings as they have different tone signatures than the other 3 strings.

I second that. In addition to sounding good (no wound string screech), they come as individual strings. No need to buy a full set like you have to do with the Southcoasts in order to get the one smooth-wound low G.

oh ok i didn't see this. its pretty cheap so if i wanted to keep my aquila set on my tenor i can just switch the high G out for this one?

oh ok i didn't see this. its pretty cheap so if i wanted to keep my aquila set on my tenor i can just switch the high G out for this one?

Yes - I do exactly that except with Martin strings. I haven't yet found a low G string set that I like.

Oh and - I noticed the Fremonts are on order in your link. Try here if you want one sooner.

Yes - I do exactly that except with Martin strings. I haven't yet found a low G string set that I like.

Oh and - I noticed the Fremonts are on order in your link. Try here if you want one sooner.

thanks ill give them a try aquilas seem to sound best on my tenor and i this maybe a great option when i was to use low
g but not purchase an entire set. thanks! btw would any low G string work? i have a low G set of oasis but if i could
just take off the G on my aquila set and put on the low G from the oasis i would do that would that work out?

Last edited:
Top Bottom