wood ,finish allergy to uke?

uke-a-little

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have posted this problem on the beginners forum and they suggested we ask you all over here about this problem, We have an Ohana TK20 tenor uke. its a solid top mahogany,rosewood fingerboard, My husband started playing it, and did 0k for awhile, then started getting skin peeling only on the left hand where he chords the uke, reddish too, ,he quit playing it for a while and hand got better, started playing it again and its back, now his fingernails are starting to show signs of coming off at the cuticle, I did some research the best i knew how and don't know where to go, His left hand is the only one he has this problem with, he holds the uke and strums with the right hand , no problems at all, so any help would be appreciated ,
thanks to you all, and will be looking forward to your input on this
j&C uke-a-little

I'm no expert, but I do remember someone on a guitar forum who discovered he was allergic to his beloved cedar-top guitar. Just did a Google search, and came up with this link: Wood Allergies and Toxicity. Hope this helps you get started.

I don't mean to sound rude (ok, maybe I want to sound just rude enough), but if your husband is experiencing something as extreme as losing his nails, don't you think a doctor would be the best person to be asking, rather than a motley collection of musicians?

Last edited:
Some people have an extreme allergic reaction to rosewood. It certainly sounds like your husband is one of those people. Get him a uke with an ebony fingerboard.

Some people have an extreme allergic reaction to rosewood. It certainly sounds like your husband is one of those people. Get him a uke with an ebony fingerboard.

I've got pins and needles in my left arm and chest pains. Should I swap my Koa uke for Mahogany and see if that cures it?

If he's losing his fingernails, stop asking people on a frigging ukulele forum for medical advice!

Funny I was noticing just tonight every time I play my little 20's-30's Harmony it makes my arm itch where I hold the little girl.

I assumed I was allergic to the finish or the wood. hehe

He might be allergic to ebony as well! I'm afraid the exotics are known for allergic reactions (although very low incidence). That's not to say that you can't be allergic to Ash, Cherry or Oak - just that the incidence is greater in exotics.

It is certainly true that he might also be allergic to ebony, although the incidence of allergic reaction is lower and to the best of my knowledge the irritants in the two woods are not closely related. Having a doctor determine the cause of the problem if you go beyond a simple "let's see what the reaction is if you are exposed to Rosewood" test can be an expensive proposition. I guess if you turn out to also be allergic to ebony you have two choices. Keep trying ukes with different wood for a fingerboard until you find one you can tolerate or give up playing ukulele altogether.

Top Bottom