how tough is it to get a sonny d uke?

ukeitup

Reaction score
I have heard a lot about sonny d uke I was wondering how they rate and how to get one? I dont see any on ebay.thanks in advance.

They come up on Craigslist here in Hawaii once in a while too. I'd say they come up about as often as G-String ukes,but more often than Koolau instruments, if that is any indicator.

I'd advise against getting a Sonny D uke unless you live in a humid climate and can get one for cheap. I got a Sonny D purpleheart tenor w/spruce top. The workmanship on it is among the worst I've seen, including Leolani and Mahalo ukes. The inside looks pretty crude and most of the seams are not centered. It sounds pretty good but is probably at about the level of Pono ukes. That's not bad except new Sonny D's usually cost a lot more than Ponos. I live in Minnesota so it's fairly dry in the Winter. I keep a humidifier in the case but just last week the soundboard developed a nice big crack beneath the bridge all the way to the bottom edge. Before that the back seam was already separating toward the top. I'll be the first to admit that I had not been all that careful with this uke because it was among my least favorite, but it's the first uke I've ever had that developed cracks. I'm pretty sure it wasn't built in a climate controlled environment (based on Roy Sakuma's video which visits Sonny D), so I probably should have been more careful. As is, I consider my Sonny D an expensive novelty uke.

The Uke store in Aloha tower on Oahu sells Sonny D's. HOWEVER!!! the woman who works there and her husband the owner of the store say you MUST try the exact one you want to buy. The newer models are hit or miss in regards to tone, intonation, and finish.

I'd advise against getting a Sonny D uke unless you live in a humid climate and can get one for cheap. I got a Sonny D purpleheart tenor w/spruce top. The workmanship on it is among the worst I've seen, including Leolani and Mahalo ukes. The inside looks pretty crude and most of the seams are not centered. It sounds pretty good but is probably at about the level of Pono ukes. That's not bad except new Sonny D's usually cost a lot more than Ponos. As is, I consider my Sonny D an expensive novelty uke.

Haha! For once, GX9901 has written something that has made me NOT want to acquire another uke. :D

Top Bottom