6 string Tenor ukuleles?

moetrout

Reaction score
I am attempting to trade my Kala KA-C concert uke for a tenor. I have someone that offered to trade a Oscar Schmidt OU26T 6 string tenor uke. I have played a few tenors, so I know I do want one, but I have never played a 6 or 8 string uke. Are they any harder to play? I can only imagine plucking one may be more difficult, but if I am only strumming chords is that any harder? If you happen to have this same uke (OU26T) what do you think of it? Any opinions would be very much appreciated.

I am attempting to trade my Kala KA-C concert uke for a tenor. I have someone that offered to trade a Oscar Schmidt OU26T 6 string tenor uke. I have played a few tenors, so I know I do want one, but I have never played a 6 or 8 string uke. Are they any harder to play? I can only imagine plucking one may be more difficult, but if I am only strumming chords is that any harder? If you happen to have this same uke (OU26T) what do you think of it? Any opinions would be very much appreciated.

I have a 6-string Pono tenor. It's no harder to strum & the doubled C & A strings give it bit of "fullness" similar to a 12-string guitar. Finger picking is a bit more challenging if you want to pick the smaller (higher pitch) of the paired C for instance.

Ditto on that Pono. A 6 string is a "little" easier to pick than an 8, but many good players pick the heck out of either. I love the chime, and love it even more using my chorus pedal (cheating).

Nice comparison between a 4 and a 6 string tenor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrAQUc41aDo If the Oscar doesn't have Aquilas on it, they are nearly "must haves" for this instrument. Also, it has a plastic nut and saddle, so you can plan on a bone nut and saddle if you like (saddle more important than nut). Good luck.

Last edited:

you play them exactly as you would a 4 string the strings are doubled and you place your finger over them
as you would if it was one single string it gives a fuller sound.

Had a 6-string Kanile'a that sounded awesome (full, rich) strummed. But not every song I played sounded right on a 6-string. It was harder for me to play finger style. Thus it had limited use for me. So, I ended up selling it. Went with a 5-string, for nearly as full sound, but every song played on it sounds right.

Had a 6-string Kanile'a that sounded awesome (full, rich) strummed. But not every song I played sounded right on a 6-string. It was harder for me to play finger style. Thus it had limited use for me. So, I ended up selling it. Went with a 5-string, for nearly as full sound, but every song played on it sounds right.

five string seems really cool i love the idea of low and high G at the same time.

6 strings are fun, as are 8, but if it is going to be your only instrument, I'd go for a regular 4 string tenor. 6's and 8's they are also harder to resell, just not as much of a market for them. they sound great for certain songs, but not all.

I mostly play chords on my six-string, and they sound great though the low A is pretty buzzy. But whenever I finger pick it, the single strings and the double ones don't seem to blend well. I think an eight string would finger pick better. Since I mostly like to accompany my singing, the six string sounds ok except for the buzzes. I think the action is too high.

I just read the Action TOO Low thread and tried out what they were talking about. Now I see that, if I fret closer to the fret, the buzz goes away. However, I still don't care for the way the single and double strings blend when fingerpicking.

Get a 4 Stringer, a 6 or 8 will never be your main instrument... if you talking Oscar schimdt, get a OU2.... or a OU5 and string it with Aquilas....

I just took the plunge and purchased a MM 6 string but I've had a good 4 string for 8 months and also purchased another MM 4 string tenor. So for me the desired collection was a high and a low strung 4 string tenor and the 6 string as more of a ' speciality' instrument as my 12 string guitar was to my six string guitar. Although having said that there were years when I only played a 12 string guitar, so who knows, the 6 string tenor may turn out to be 'your ' instrument. If you do get the OS 6 string, as others have suggested, put a good set of strings on, replace at least the saddle from plastic to bone or better and have a good tech look at it with a view to lowering action and dressing frets. These actions are reasonable, cost wise, and will turn a massed produced uke into one that is a pleasure to play.

If you already have a 4 string then by all means get that 6 string. They sound great as do the 8 string ukes!

Thanks for all the replies. The guy with the 6 string called me to say that he could not keep it in tune and felt the tuners were bad. He did not want to trade based on this issue. I was very appreciative of his honesty. This would have been my only tenor, I have 2 concerts and a soprano. I will keep looking for a good trade.

Some great pono 6 and 8 string refurbs on ebay from Paradise Ukes...a former Ko'olau uke tech. Prices are amazing and they are set up as well as they could be.

There are so many tuning options for a six strings you can vary the sound to match your playing.
There are many previous threads on tuning so if interested use the search function.

When I got my 6 string it was tuned GCcEAa. It was great strumming, but sounded funny finger picking.
I changed to unison A's and the finger picking was better, but the strumming was really thin sounding.
I went to low G and now both sound good. gCcEAA. Like others have said I would not want a 6 string as my only ukulele, but definitely like having one.

I know of a few Hawaiian performers that ONLY use six-string ukuleles. It depends on what you like to play.
I play my six-string often. I have tried many of the tunings, currently at low G and unison A.
Kuana Torres Kahele plays Low G, and a Low A on the bottom of the standard A.
Most of those Hawaiian performers I mention only strum while singing, although "only strum" is perhaps the understatement of the century, I *wish* I could strum like that.
I really do like the sound of the six-string.
http://youtu.be/S9ssL7mYIpM?list=UU1X6EsB9yWwfOvx813spKKw

Here is a small example from Kuana:

I know of a few Hawaiian performers that ONLY use six-string ukuleles. It depends on what you like to play.
I play my six-string often. I have tried many of the tunings, currently at low G and unison A.
Kuana Torres Kahele plays Low G, and a Low A on the bottom of the standard A.
Most of those Hawaiian performers I mention only strum while singing, although "only strum" is perhaps the understatement of the century, I *wish* I could strum like that.
I really do like the sound of the six-string.
http://youtu.be/S9ssL7mYIpM?list=UU1X6EsB9yWwfOvx813spKKw

Here is a small example from Kuana:

Welp, that was awesome. Haha. Wow. Maybe I should sell mine after all. I decided to keep my HF-36 because I'm finally starting to bond with it somewhat. I will say that, despite the fact it's tuned the same way as a four string basically, and that, physically, it's not any harder to play, I kind of feel like it's harder to play well... if that makes sense. I was messing around with it the other night and I decided to pull the listing, so this is the video I made that night... ahem, nothing special obviously. In any event, it's definitely fun to play- just different.

[video]https://vimeo.com/m/100676466[/video]

Top Bottom