JB-Baritone

Bruce Sexauer

Reaction score
I have shared before about the "interesting" steel string Ukuleles I have been making for several years now, and I continue to be pretty excited about this concept. These instrument have really great performance, and are a guitar players dream come true when they realize how unsatisfactory an undersized guitar is as a travel companion, and how effective these little wonders are if you can let go of the need of those bottom 2 strings. I personally am a flatpicker, and that works much better for me on steel strings that on more traditional Ukes.

I call my latest rendition a a Baritone Uke though one might argue, and it is tuned exactly like the top 4 strings of a guitar, no transposing required! The smaller "Tenor" version of this instrument has the same relative tuning, but it is like having a capo at the 5th fret of this baritone (dropped "d" or "g", depending). This instrument was commissioned, and I have delivered it earlier today, but first I took some photos and made a page on my website to document it" Here is a picture to give you the idea, but click the link for better comprehension.

donetreble1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

This one is 20 1/16 x 20 3/8 +/-. I strung it with medium e-b-g-d guitar strings, but I am now thinking light b-g-d-a might be a better bet.

Thats Nice! I see your in Petaluma, have a Lagunitas for me and your right down the road from LMI. Always liked that area.

Speaking of LMI, they are having a yard sale this Sunday, August 10. They will be selling rejects, short pieces, and many other types of things which have become useless to them over the years. They say it's all $5 a pound but I have been to this event in the past and it's negotiable and gets cheaper as the day passes. Also free burgers! Guitar makers can find many things they won't want to pass up, but Uke makers do far better, especially with the short pieces which turn out to be oversize instead, and flawed guitar wood which can be easily deflawed for Ukeuse. Worth the drive from Chico, IMO.

Speaking of LMI, they are having a yard sale this Sunday, August 10. They will be selling rejects, short pieces, and many other types of things which have become useless to them over the years. They say it's all $5 a pound but I have been to this event in the past and it's negotiable and gets cheaper as the day passes. Also free burgers! Guitar makers can find many things they won't want to pass up, but Uke makers do far better, especially with the short pieces which turn out to be oversize instead, and flawed guitar wood which can be easily deflawed for Ukeuse. Worth the drive from Chico, IMO.

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to miss it this time around, I have to process chickens this weekend:( Too many Roosters and the freezer is empty. Hope you find some good deals.

Bruce, are you still making these steel string baritone ukuleles? I love my steel string tenor ukulele and .... maybe it could use a big brother. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom