Original with Konablaster electric

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
https://soundcloud.com/jim-hanks/kona-winds

This track started with a chord progression on ukulele. I wanted to record with my new Blue Star Guitar custom baritone Konablaster electric steel string ukulele. When I found out that "kona" is a Hawaiian word meaning the leeward or dry side of an island, I thought this was the perfect song for it. The song has a lot of minor and suspended chords that make me thing of what "kona" would be like.

Technical details:
Instruments include: baritone steel string ukulele - DGBE tuning; EWI lead using VL70-m synth module with Patchman Turbo "Nz Flute" patch; iPhone apps Seekbeats (drums), iFretless Bass, Mitosynth (keys, pad, wind FX).

The uke and EWI were recorded via direct input to iTrackSolo interface to Multitrack DAW app. The uke was then effected through JamUp/Bias; the rhythm part is a clean amp model with just a touch of grit while the middle lead part is a crunchier amp model with higher gain, more distortion, etc.

I usually need a couple of (sometimes 10) takes. The video world is still new to me, if I mess up I have to do it all over. So yes, one take, but a lot of mess ups to get the one take. For instance the Adele song I just did, I almost gave up on it after about the 8th try. But I gave it one more shot and finally got it. The audio recording world is much easier. I can just go in and fix all the bad parts and no one can see me doing that. Haha.

Cool Jim! Digging that konablaster

Jim, how would you compare that steel string konablaster to a regular-string electric uke (be it acoustic-electric or solid body like an Eleuke)? If you know.... I would think you can do more , get more effects out of steel string, but I don't know

I would agree with that. You can get a lot out of solid body or Risa stick as well, but i agree steel strings take to effects better than nylon/flouris. A regular acoustic-electric gets in it's own way if you know what I mean, but if is recorded them you can get away with heavier processing in the computer.

Sounds nice Jim. Almost makes me want to buy an iPad for the portability. I use a Behringer USB interface with ASIO drivers, along with Guitar Rig 5, Overloud TH2 or Amplitube on my PC. I've also just bought this for £ 80

GT-6-caac322c965dc167c0f40725d3718388_resize.jpggt6back_resize.jpg

Lots of good tones in that pedal I'm sure. I have an old Line6 PODxT module but I haven't used it since I got into ukes. I probably would if I had a gig playing out. In "the studio" (ha), iPhone/iPad are my tools of choice lately, although I also love Propellerhead Reason on the PC as a production environment.

Liking it, Jim! It's a great sample of the konablaster, too! There are so few samples of it out there.

Top Bottom