Large Body Baritone Ukulele, who makes one?

LeeLL

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a baritone ukulele make or model with a larger and or deeper body than the normal size?
Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know of a baritone ukulele make or model with a larger and or deeper body than the normal size?
Thanks in advance.

I mean baritone is usually deeper and bigger to begin with but i believe compass rose (rick tuner) is known
for making some larger and even steel strung baritones.

It seems that baritone sizes are less "standardized" than tenor, concert or soprano. Each builder determines the size and shape that he wants to work with. I also have a very 1927 Martin 2/18T tenor guitar which is a very small guitar but you might consider it a large baritone.
I'm very pleased with my older white label Kamaka baritone which is quite a bit smaller than the new custom built Scott Wise baritone.
Can you say what you are looking for in regards to dimensions?

Just go for a tenor guitar. Then post lots of pics and videos because we're all intrigued by them

It is hard to find a nylon string tenor guitar, it seems 99% are steel string

It is hard to find a nylon string tenor guitar, it seems 99% are steel string

tenor guitars don't use nylon strings, unless it's a hybrid custom made thing
like the 'steel string baritone ukes' are pretty much small tenor guitars, and a
nylon stringed tenor guitar is really more or less a larger baritone (if someone custom
makes this). What defines the difference to me is tuning, strings and technique.
Tenor guitar uses 5th's (although some use DGBE but its not traditional) the technique
is totally different and it evolved from the tenor banjo and has steel strings and a larger
body. Baritone ukulele uses nylon strings, DGBE tuning 5 semi tones lower than a low G tenor
and the playing style you would play just as you would a tenor uke its just lower.

I have a 'steel stringed electric baritone ukulele' some would argue its a tenor guitar
because of the steel strings and it has a longer scale than most baritones 22" the longest
baritone i have seen was over 21" almost 22. But i play it like a baritone ukulele technique wise
and it was designed for baritone ukulele players in mind to convert from acoustic to electric.
Anyway thats the good thing about specialty and custom built instruments it opens up
a world of new musical inventions that mass producing companies never would think of.

Not a bad idea actually. I had a Blueridge BR-40T tenor guitar. Great guitar at an affordable price.

a blue ridge tenor is on my list of things to save up for. Learning to play better in 5th's is my current project
so when i get one i will be ready for it. DGBE sounds great on a baritone uke but a tenor guitar in 5th's just
sounds too pretty i need to brush up on CGDA chord knowledge.

those look / sound really nice.
I like the whole 1930's type theme going too.
I could not find anything about the dimensions or
anything mentioning baritone uke. But the tenor and concerts
sounded good on the youtube clips.

I'm on order for a baritone capable of using steel strings; so more like a small scaled tenor guitar. Not sure if I'll go with all mahogany or with a spruce top with maple back and sides. Will have a carved top and back, small radius to the fretboard and f holes for sure.

Last edited:
I'm on order for a baritone capable of using steel strings; so more like a small scaled tenor guitar. Not sure if I'll go with all mahogany or with a spruce top with maple back and sides. Will have a carved top and back, small radius to the fretboard and f holes for sure.

sounds awesome!! be sure to post pics once you get it.

I mean baritone is usually deeper and bigger to begin with but i believe compass rose (rick tuner) is known
for making some larger and even steel strung baritones.

Here's a photo of my Compass Rose baritone ukulele next to a Kamaka ukulele. The Compass Rose baritone's body shape is based on the body shape of jumbo guitars. The lower bout (which, I think, is the part of the ukulele that affects the sound) is larger than the lower bout of the Kamaka. This one is a steel string baritone, but Rick also builds nylon string baritones, including his octave baritone, which is the same instrument tuned GCEA an octave lower than tenor.

attachment.php

Here's the Compass Rose baritone ukulele next to a Blueridge BR-40T tenor guitar.

attachment.php

Last edited:
With custom luthiers, I think the term "standardized" is unique to each maker. I have three tenors from three luthiers, and they are all slightly different sizes. The largest of the trio won"t fit into the cases of the two smaller ones, the lower bout is too wide, but the body is also shallower front to back. I expect if you are looking for custom, you can get a good luthier who will make it whatever size you want ...

I've seen tenor guitars go all the way down to 30" or 31" I wonder if it was a hybrid short scale model made by a company that made baritone ukes as well. Anyone with any ideas about this?

Top Bottom